Paulding.com

Linda "Gail" Jenkins Voyles

My Friend, My Hero, My Sister!

Gail Voyles married my brother 26 years ago. She was welcomed into the family like others before her but over the years, Gail became very special - like others, too, but differently.

Gail faced life with faith, dignity and always with a sense of humor! My husband retired from the Army in the 1990's, her retirement gift was a 1970's polyester outfit complete with plaid slacks, shirt and suspenders! We still laugh! She said he was going to need civilian clothes and she felt that this outfit was a good "go to meeting" outfit.

Gail fought sickness and disease with dignity, faith and a sense of humor! She is my hero. She had MS and lived with constant pain, but she was faithful to her family, her church and her friends. She didn't miss services because she didn't feel good! Coming to church seemed to help her and seeing her helped each of us. She went through the crowd hugging everyone and there hasn't been a baby born in 20 years that she didn't hold and love.

Gail was practical minded, she knew that the complications of her disease was slowly wearing her body down. She planned for that last day. She got her house in order, she said what she felt she had to say to her family and friends, she prayed for strength and mercy and she rarely complained even in the worse times of sickness. She faced each obstacle with that grace and dignity that comes with knowing yourself and those around you and having faith.

Gail died Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 11:00 pm at home. She fought hard to stay with us - those of us that needed her more than she needed us. She did not flinch, she knew what was in store for her and she waited on the Lord to call her home.

Gail leaves behind her husband of 26 years, Philip C. Voyles, a son; Philip C. Voyles II and his wife Theidre Hayes Voyles and their 2 girls. A daughter; Tiffany Voyles Harrison, husband Shane and their daughter. A Sister, Sherry Dunson of Carrollton, Georgia, and many neices and nephews and in-laws. She loved each of you and she thought every one of you was special.

The last conversation I had with Gail, she talked about going to heaven. She discussed dying and the effect that would have on her husband and children. She gave her oldest granddaughter a gold heart necklace and told her that she would always have "Granny's heart" with her. Gail was thoughtful and sweet to everyone she encountered.

They lost a granddaughter in January of 2007 and it nearly broke Gail's heart. But today she is holding that baby in Heaven and rejoicing again with her mother and dad that passed when her babies were little. She's looking down on us and I hope she's proud that we are carrying on - sad and longing for her company, again, but thanks to her example able to carry on, one step at a time, one day at a time.

Let me also say that Gail's sense of humor came through to the very end. She had given here sister strict instructions - she wore toe socks with monkeys on them and a push up bra! She is beautiful and we loved her for her faith, courage, dignity and sense of humor!

Such heartfelt words! I had tears in my eyes until the part about the monkey toe socks and then I laughed and without ever having known her, I think she would have liked that! Prayers for you and your family, I can tell she will be missed!!

This just breaks my heart..for the family..I have lost 2 husbands myself and know that it is a VERY long road to travel. I will be praying for the family..if there is anything I can do let me know..I know that that is what everyone says and it is a pretty DUMB thing to say, as there is really nothing, besides prayer that anyone can do..BUT I REALLY mean that I am here if any of the family needs an EAR....or a SHOULDER!!!

Edited by Prince4ever

I am so sorry for your loss. My sister has a terminal illness, and I can't imagine being without her. Hopefully, when her time comes I can face it the same way you are.

Praying for peace and comfort for your family.

:(

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tribute aout Gail, I did not know her, but Thanks to your topic, I do know a little about her now, and she evidently touched a lot of lives and left a lasting impression..

My God give you the peace to carry on without her for now...

After reading your post one would feel like they too knew her well.........It is obvious that she brought love, joy,peace and strength to all those that knew her. I know she is standing with Jesus and smiling down at you and the rest of your family just waiting for that day when you ALL will be together. God Bless you and your family in your time of loss............

Eric's chief, I'm sorry to hear of Gail's passing.

I know through you, the times and efforts that your entire family endured and how their lives have become so interdependent. I know you all were prepared but at the same time, there is no way to prepare for the void that materializes in the daily life that had been full.

Your tribute, though, is exceptional and demonstrates the humanity and love that exists in your clan. May God bless you and all your family.

pubby

Did Gail go to school at Paulding County High and graduate in 1977? I think I went to school with her... I'm sorry to hear of your loss!

No, Gail was a Carroll County native. Her children attended elementary school (Nebo) and S. Paulding Middle School in the 1990's here in Paulding, but they all returned to Haralson County a few years back.

Eric's chief, I'm sorry to hear of Gail's passing.

I know through you, the times and efforts that your entire family endured and how their lives have become so interdependent. I know you all were prepared but at the same time, there is no way to prepare for the void that materializes in the daily life that had been full.

Your tribute, though, is exceptional and demonstrates the humanity and love that exists in your clan. May God bless you and all your family.

pubby

Thank you, Pubby. Yes, our clan is something else.

N.

This was a exceptional, special lady. She was a lady in every way. She was an encourager to others. When she had been given the news of

2 months to 2 years to live, she would tell people, "Just enjoy me while I am here, and she never failed to tell you she loved you when you

would leave her presence because she feared she might not live to see people again. She was so precious. I loved her with all my heart. She and Philip have been like having a brother and sister to me. We have shared many hours together at church, eating out, in each others homes, going to gospel concerts, etc...I miss her so much. Everytime I hear the new Alan Jackson song, I break down because they played it at the graveside. I heard someone in the crowd say, "It was as if Alan knew Gail and wrote that just for her!" She is special, and she is missed, but with all the good memories and the influence of goodness, faith and humor, we have oh so many memories of her that will live on in our hearts forever. I Love You, Gail!

Oh my, I have a beauty salon in Douglasville in the Beulah community. I use to cut Gai, Philip, little Phillip and Tiffany's hair. Tiffany was just a toddler the last time I seen them. Phiip done some home-improvements for my family. I haven't heard from the family in years. I will be praying for Philip and his children. Please tell him that Jill said I will keep them in my prayers and I am so sorry for their loss. Thank you for the the sharing sweet life story of such a special person in your life.