Paulding.com

Come out tonight for the Candidate Meet & Greet

Sponsored by the PBA, Paulding.com & Stars & Strikes

Here is the list of those that are confirmed to be there....

House District 19:

Will Avery

Paulette Rakestraw Braddock

Steve Golden

Daniel Stout

Senate District 31:

Pete Bridges

Bill Heath

Board of Education District 2:

Nick Chester

District Attorney:

Dick Donovan

Drew Lane

Chad Plumley

Post 2 Commissioner:

Beverly Cochran

Adam Gregory

Todd Pownall

Post 3 Commissioner:

Vernon Collett

Tommie Graham

Post 4 Commissioner:

Jason Anavitarte

David Barnett

Earl Cosgrove

GREGORY, GREGORY, GREGORY. HOLY COW!! I HEARD THIS GUY SPEAK TONIGHT AND PAULDING COUNTY YOU NEED TO WAKE UP AND PAY ATTENTION TO THIS GUY!! WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!!

LISTEN TO HIM SPEAK!!!! HE ROCKED THE PBA AND Paulding.com Meet and Greet tonight. If you Voters in Post 2 do not elect this guy you are crazy!! I wish we had him in my post!

www.gregory2010.com

Watch the video that Pubby recorded tonight! Tell me who stands out? WOW!

And how do we fund the PDOT and Sheriff's department without the SPLOST ? Adam Gregory is steadfast against the SPLOST and without it we lose the Hiram parkway going to 278 plus widening for Wellstar's hospital. Not to mention the Sheriff's department going into the dark ages equipment wise.

Can't see us moving forward without the SPLOST.

I was most impressed with the Democrat, Will Avery, that is running for District 19. I might have to vote D for our state rep in November.

You can say that even with the signature you have? I thought he was a very nice guy. Very charming but not ready for that job yet.

You can say that even with the signature you have? I thought he was a very nice guy. Very charming but not ready for that job yet.

He appears to be a better choice than the three chumps that we have running on the Republican ticket. I spent quite a while talking to him and all-in-all he was much more conservative than most Dems.

He appears to be a better choice than the three chumps that we have running on the Republican ticket. I spent quite a while talking to him and all-in-all he was much more conservative than most Dems.

Most of them that were elected in the last election ran to the right of their Republican opponents but they did not vote that way. They have learned how to get in office though I will give them that.

And how do we fund the PDOT and Sheriff's department without the SPLOST ? Adam Gregory is steadfast against the SPLOST and without it we lose the Hiram parkway going to 278 plus widening for Wellstar's hospital. Not to mention the Sheriff's department going into the dark ages equipment wise.

Can't see us moving forward without the SPLOST.

Against a tax during a down economy, does not seem like a bad idea to me.

I guess we have to set priorities, food on the table or wider road.

Plus, I heard Mr. Gregory say that he would fund public safety before

any other dept. Why is it that we always use public safety when trying

to support a tax. Does not the constitution say government should provide

defense before anything? Shouldn't public safety be first by the BOC

anyways? Typical tax arguement by trying to scare people. Just like the

school board that threatened double session if we did not pass the bond.

What happened, they raised school mil anyways.

I don't believe any official that says pass this tax or else? Else still happens.

Isn't funny that we thraten the stone age when government takes a pay

cut but when businesses take a cut it is necessary. Sounds backwards to me.

I'm voting for anyone whose looking to put for money in my pocket not the

governments! That's PRO Business in my book!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Against a tax during a down economy, does not seem like a bad idea to me.

I guess we have to set priorities, food on the table or wider road.

Plus, I heard Mr. Gregory say that he would fund public safety before

any other dept. Why is it that we always use public safety when trying

to support a tax. Does not the constitution say government should provide

defense before anything? Shouldn't public safety be first by the BOC

anyways? Typical tax arguement by trying to scare people. Just like the

school board that threatened double session if we did not pass the bond.

What happened, they raised school mil anyways.

I don't believe any official that says pass this tax or else? Else still happens.

Isn't funny that we thraten the stone age when government takes a pay

cut but when businesses take a cut it is necessary. Sounds backwards to me.

I'm voting for anyone whose looking to put for money in my pocket not the

governments! That's PRO Business in my book!

Thanks!

Between the BOC and the BOE's refusal to raise the millage rate when they have a 17% decrease in the tax base, you are already getting over a 15% tax break this year. However, part of the ability to reduce the budgets is the local option sales taxes. The SPLOST (paid by people when they spend money, not because they own a family house or farm) is paying for needed capital improvements that will have to be added to the budget if it is not passed. Have you driven on a county road lately? There are potholes EVERYWHERE. Repairs and improvements MUST be done if we are to attract badly needed businesses to the county and keep ourselves safe.

Sorry, this is not a pay it or save it situation. This is a everyone pays it or just the Pauling property owners pay it situation. As one of those property owners, I have to say that I've had enough and do not want to see a 3-6 mil tax increase on my bill next year because these improvements have to done in the county/BOE budget.

FYI - The 1% LOST alone paid nearly $400 of my county M&O taxes last year. Without the LOST and the SPLOST and the ELOST, we would be looking at over 9 mils higher taxes between the county budget and bond referendums. Do you really want that?

JMHO

I was most impressed with the Democrat, Will Avery, that is running for District 19. I might have to vote D for our state rep in November.

I met Will Avery several weeks ago and was most impressed. And, like you, I might just have to vote for a "D" come November.

Education is going to be, along with the budget, THE front burner issue with the Legislature come January and I feel Avery might be the best qualified when it comes to Education.

As far as him being "green", I see that with all 4 candidates, so to me that becomes a non-issue.

Between the BOC and the BOE's refusal to raise the millage rate when they have a 17% decrease in the tax base, you are already getting over a 15% tax break this year. However, part of the ability to reduce the budgets is the local option sales taxes. The SPLOST (paid by people when they spend money, not because they own a family house or farm) is paying for needed capital improvements that will have to be added to the budget if it is not passed. Have you driven on a county road lately? There are potholes EVERYWHERE. Repairs and improvements MUST be done if we are to attract badly needed businesses to the county and keep ourselves safe.

Sorry, this is not a pay it or save it situation. This is a everyone pays it or just the Pauling property owners pay it situation. As one of those property owners, I have to say that I've had enough and do not want to see a 3-6 mil tax increase on my bill next year because these improvements have to done in the county/BOE budget.

FYI - The 1% LOST alone paid nearly $400 of my county M&O taxes last year. Without the LOST and the SPLOST and the ELOST, we would be looking at over 9 mils higher taxes between the county budget and bond referendums. Do you really want that?

JMHO

Good post for your argument. We will just have to agree to disagree.

People say taxes, roads, etc. help attract business. Last time I checked, all our major roads are state roads and no county funds go to them and we can not even get businesses to come there except retail. Looks like we need someone that can sale the county to me, not a tax. It is called planning.

Step 1: Find the Businesses that are willing to move or come

Step 2: Sale the County and what it can offer and do after agreement is reached

Step 3: Enter into agreement with Company

Step 4: Notify taxpayers and voters of company intent to come

Step 5: Follow through with promises agreed upon in contract or agreement to prepare for business arrival

Step 6: Business Comes.

FYI, this is how a businesses does it. They would be out of business if they didn't. If government would stop spending before they have clients than maybe they would not be broke. We have to stop putting the cart before the horse. Example: Bill Carruth Parkway, Needed it to bring business, BOY there are alot of businesses on there. It is because we built it without selling it first. Now we are playing catch up and praying Wellstar will bail us out.

In addition, CUT SPENDING. Why is that never an option. Is it possible that maybe our Government tried to grow too fast, why is that never an option? And no matter what this county will continue to burden property owners, look with SPLOST, property taxes still went up and the MIL did too. Its because we have no business. Rockmart is getting to a point to where it has more bigger businesses than we do and thier roads are not any better. Lookat KIA, were the roads there before they went to West Point, NO. They sold the area and provided after the contract was done. That is just good business and that is what this county does not have. We have no sellers on the BOC. Just develpers and builders and they don't sell they hire agents to do that for them. IT IS TIME FOR LEADERS THAT SALE TO BE ON THE BOC.

When are we going to hold elected officials accountable for not doing thier job and SELLING THE COUNTY!! Thats the problem, nobody wants to work!!

Our economy is not in a situation to have more tax burden. People will not spend if they do not have it. Plain and simple. I know your arguement would be it would go up more with out it, but why not just cut spending. The government is afraid to do the things that small businesses do becasuse its hard and they want to get re-elected. I would rather go to the courthouse and see a sign that said CLOSED due to budget cuts before I see another small business leave Paulding.

Regardless it comes down to the voters not the candidates on SPLOST and from what I have heard, it is not a good year to vote on a tax. Actually, I hardly ever hear any of the candidates talk about it because they know it is a voter decision and not the candidates.

Thanks for the discussion.

• Like 1

Most of them that were elected in the last election ran to the right of their Republican opponents but they did not vote that way. They have learned how to get in office though I will give them that.

If he gets elected, and he screws up, run against him next time.

People say taxes, roads, etc. help attract business. Last time I checked, all our major roads are state roads and no county funds go to them and we can not even get businesses to come there except retail. Looks like we need someone that can sale the county to me, not a tax. It is called planning.

Step 5: Follow through with promises agreed upon in contract or agreement to prepare for business arrival

FYI, this is how a businesses does it. They would be out of business if they didn't. If government would stop spending before they have clients than maybe they would not be broke. We have to stop putting the cart before the horse. Example: Bill Carruth Parkway, Needed it to bring business, BOY there are alot of businesses on there. It is because we built it without selling it first. Now we are playing catch up and praying Wellstar will bail us out.

In addition, CUT SPENDING. Why is that never an option. Is it possible that maybe our Government tried to grow too fast, why is that never an option? And no matter what this county will continue to burden property owners, look with SPLOST, property taxes still went up and the MIL did too. Its because we have no business. Rockmart is getting to a point to where it has more bigger businesses than we do and thier roads are not any better. Lookat KIA, were the roads there before they went to West Point, NO. They sold the area and provided after the contract was done. That is just good business and that is what this county does not have. We have no sellers on the BOC. Just develpers and builders and they don't sell they hire agents to do that for them. IT IS TIME FOR LEADERS THAT SALE TO BE ON THE BOC.

When are we going to hold elected officials accountable for not doing thier job and SELLING THE COUNTY!! Thats the problem, nobody wants to work!!

Our economy is not in a situation to have more tax burden. People will not spend if they do not have it. Plain and simple. I know your arguement would be it would go up more with out it, but why not just cut spending. The government is afraid to do the things that small businesses do becasuse its hard and they want to get re-elected. I would rather go to the courthouse and see a sign that said CLOSED due to budget cuts before I see another small business leave Paulding.

Regardless it comes down to the voters not the candidates on SPLOST and from what I have heard, it is not a good year to vote on a tax. Actually, I hardly ever hear any of the candidates talk about it because they know it is a voter decision and not the candidates.

Yes, and No.

For a major, major industrial operation, like KIA or Budwieser, what you have is certainly true.

But how many of those resettle or build a new plant each year ?

We have the intermodal yards in Powder Springs, less than 10 miles from Dallas. That is a deep water port for all intents and purposes. The goods coming and going in those ocean and rail piggyback containers are coming and going to warehouses and industrial facilities from Memphis to Huntsville to Chattanooga to Nashville and Knoxville, as well as all points in between, and they are coming right up 92 and 278 through Paulding.

But without nice industrial parks with spec buildings available to rent, they will keep on bypassing us on their way elsewhere.

Our past BOC did NOTHING to encourage industrial growth, while at the same time putting High Density PRDs on land better suited for industry to the point we have little land left for this use. Bill Carruth does have some at grade property along the NS tracks.

I know that David Austin and Tommie Graham from the BOC and IBA has been working with NS and potential developers to utilize this property. Same with the south side of the NS tracks at Metromount and Rosedale in Hiram. Both of them inherited a mess when they joined the BOC and unfortunately had to deal with a surplus fund which had been depleted by Shearin and company as well as costs to go on and finish projects at the airport which the county had to pay for [such as the roadway from 278 to the terminal], and had to come up with a means to pay for the terminal since "Good Ol Glenn Richardson" pissed off Sonny who took away the $4 million in the budget for us.

Wellstar has erected an office building and is moving forward with their goal of locating a state of the art hospital facility at 120/278/Bill Carruth. That will attract other development around it for sattelite medical facilities and offices, as well as medical supplies.

But those working on the BOC and IBA have had to basically start from scratch less than 18 months ago and the economy has not exactly been business friendly for companies to expand and open new facilities. But it will be changing in the next 18 months and if we are to capitalize on it Paulding needs to be addressing how we will develope industrial office parks with spec buildings available to lease in 30 to 90 days.

And that will be a challenge to say the least.

I really do not follow your logic in this post, And certaintly do not agree with your logic.

Case in point,Hwy 278 through Hiram,begining at the County Line, And just past Bill Carruth parkway, This area became developed beacause the Road went through there, Not because some BOC member went out and got the business to come and them built the road as you contend.

Steps 3,4 and 5 Are a little puzzling to me, What kind of an agreement are you speaking of, why the need to notify the citizens, And what kind of promises would need to be fullfilled? And just who will have to pay for those promises. And just what tax will pay for these promises?

Since we are discussing spending and taxes, Maybe you can name me another adminstration that has cut spending as much as this adminstration has, And yes actually balanced a budget this year without raising taxes, For the first time in over ten years.

And thanks to Commissioner Tommie Graham has actually developed a complex on Cadilliac Parkway That has provided many jobs for Paulding County, Furthermore has provided jobs with his business on hwy 278, David Barnett a Candidate for post four has two business on hwy 278 that provides a number of jobs for paulding residents.Todd Pownall A candidate in Post 2 has a business in paulding County that provides jobs for citizens in Paulding County.

Heck you are using a small business operator here in paulding County to get your message out, Why not become a paying member to help this small business grow?

In addition, CUT SPENDING. Why is that never an option. Is it possible that maybe our Government tried to grow too fast, why is that never an option? And no matter what this county will continue to burden property owners, look with SPLOST, property taxes still went up and the MIL did too.

While you have some very good points, I disagree greatly with the above at least in the last two years.

Before that, I would agree completely:

Jerry and his "crew" (some of which i believe are running in this election) voted to spend every dime they could get.

They:

Lied to us about the fire tax to get a 2 mil general fund tax increase by pulling the fire support from the general fund the FIRST year after it passed.

Used up the county reserves to pay the bonds on the courthouse THEY approved for the first year, so we wouldn't see it until *after* the last elections.

Allowed the builders to overload the school system so it had no choice but to build and build and then worked for the homeowners of the county to pay the ENTIRE cost (The "BOND" ) for the profit that the builders made.

Etc, etc, etc.

The new commission voted in two years ago on the other hand and the current BOE *HAVE* cut spending.

Last year David's budget cut spending by $6 million dollars, this year has cut it another $2.3 million dollars.

The BOE has the same crunch and cut spending last year by $6 million and cut it this year by a huge $26 million dollars.

Direct Property tax collected by the BOE for M&O dropped $5.5 million last year and almost $12 million this year. Direct

Property tax collection for the county M&O dropped $1.4 million and 6.8 million this year.

The BOE also only sold half the bonds that were approved, reducing the millage rate by half that we have to pay until the other half is needed.

That is money staying in our pockets because they didn't raise millage rate this year to compensate for falling property values. See New Jersey for a government that doesn't know how to cut spending, I saw an article that one city there is raising it's millage rate by %26!!! Dang!

Not that the SPLOST, LOST, and ELOST have been unaffected either. Revenue for those has dropped also. Other fees and taxes the county collects have dropped.

The point is that the SPLOST, LOST and ELOST are also part of the budget, a large part, that everyone that shops in Paulding pays, not just the property owners. If it doesn't pass and the revenue from it drops to zero, there *will* be millage increases to compensate. I don't care WHO is in office at the time. It will happen. There just is not enough fat left in the budget, it's pretty much all meat.

At least you have a choice on the SPLOST, LOST and ELOST. You can go somewhere else to buy. As long as you live here, you WILL be paying the property tax that Jerry and his crew left us with.

While you have some very good points, I disagree greatly with the above at least in the last two years.

Before that, I would agree completely:

Jerry and his "crew" (some of which i believe are running in this election) voted to spend every dime they could get.

They:

Lied to us about the fire tax to get a 2 mil general fund tax increase by pulling the fire support from the general fund the FIRST year after it passed.

Used up the county reserves to pay the bonds on the courthouse THEY approved for the first year, so we wouldn't see it until *after* the last elections.

Allowed the builders to overload the school system so it had no choice but to build and build and then worked for the homeowners of the county to pay the ENTIRE cost (The "BOND" ) for the profit that the builders made.

Etc, etc, etc.

The new commission voted in two years ago on the other hand and the current BOE *HAVE* cut spending.

Last year David's budget cut spending by $6 million dollars, this year has cut it another $2.3 million dollars.

The BOE has the same crunch and cut spending last year by $6 million and cut it this year by a huge $26 million dollars.

Direct Property tax collected by the BOE for M&O dropped $5.5 million last year and almost $12 million this year. Direct

Property tax collection for the county M&O dropped $1.4 million and 6.8 million this year.

The BOE also only sold half the bonds that were approved, reducing the millage rate by half that we have to pay until the other half is needed.

That is money staying in our pockets because they didn't raise millage rate this year to compensate for falling property values. See New Jersey for a government that doesn't know how to cut spending, I saw an article that one city there is raising it's millage rate by %26!!! Dang!

Not that the SPLOST, LOST, and ELOST have been unaffected either. Revenue for those has dropped also. Other fees and taxes the county collects have dropped.

The point is that the SPLOST, LOST and ELOST are also part of the budget, a large part, that everyone that shops in Paulding pays, not just the property owners. If it doesn't pass and the revenue from it drops to zero, there *will* be millage increases to compensate. I don't care WHO is in office at the time. It will happen. There just is not enough fat left in the budget, it's pretty much all meat.

At least you have a choice on the SPLOST, LOST and ELOST. You can go somewhere else to buy. As long as you live here, you WILL be paying the property tax that Jerry and his crew left us with.

drinks.gif

Amen Brother!

So few realize how badly King Jerry and company down right DUMPED on us.

Add to that the county property they silently stood by and allowed developers to annex into Dallas so they could build out their high density PRDs and NOT have to make their whopping $500 per house "donation" to the BOE, even thought the kids living in the PRDs are going to the county schools.

Without SPLOST we can expect a massive millage increase. Pay at the stores, or pay at the cash register, it is your choice. But like the man said, there is not much lean left in the present budget and Austin is to be congratulated for cutting what he has cut. There is nothing left to speak of to cut.

I really do not follow your logic in this post, And certaintly do not agree with your logic.

Case in point,Hwy 278 through Hiram,begining at the County Line, And just past Bill Carruth parkway, This area became developed beacause the Road went through there, Not because some BOC member went out and got the business to come and them built the road as you contend.

Steps 3,4 and 5 Are a little puzzling to me, What kind of an agreement are you speaking of, why the need to notify the citizens, And what kind of promises would need to be fullfilled? And just who will have to pay for those promises. And just what tax will pay for these promises?

Since we are discussing spending and taxes, Maybe you can name me another adminstration that has cut spending as much as this adminstration has, And yes actually balanced a budget this year without raising taxes, For the first time in over ten years.

And thanks to Commissioner Tommie Graham has actually developed a complex on Cadilliac Parkway That has provided many jobs for Paulding County, Furthermore has provided jobs with his business on hwy 278, David Barnett a Candidate for post four has two business on hwy 278 that provides a number of jobs for paulding residents.Todd Pownall A candidate in Post 2 has a business in paulding County that provides jobs for citizens in Paulding County.

Heck you are using a small business operator here in paulding County to get your message out, Why not become a paying member to help this small business grow?

No doubt whose circle this guy is in. HA-HA! Glad you know three business owners. Congrats!

No doubt whose circle this guy is in. HA-HA! Glad you know three business owners. Congrats!

You made a post, Which obviously is in support of a Particular candidate and I asked a few questions about your statement and this is your answer??? PFFT Sounds like the Bosterious candidate running in Post 2 to me, PFFT again :lol: