Paulding.com

Election to replace Richardson to be held 02/23/10

Glenn Richardson's resignation from his seat in the legislature for District 19 was not effective until yesterday. Governor Perdue issued a writ of elections as soon as he could, when the resignation took effect, calling for a special election to be held on February 23, 2010.

I believe the new Secretary of State will have to state when qualifying will begin and finish.

A candidate will have to declare a party affiliation, but there will be no primary, simply an electoral process until someone gets 50% plus 1.

Glenn Richardson's resignation from his seat in the legislature for District 19 was not effective until yesterday. Governor Perdue issued a writ of elections as soon as he could, when the resignation took effect, calling for a special election to be held on February 23, 2010.

I believe the new Secretary of State will have to state when qualifying will begin and finish.

A candidate will have to declare a party affiliation, but there will be no primary, simply an electoral process until someone gets 50% plus 1.

Wow surepip, that isn't much time to campaign. I hope someone with the right experience gets in. We need to be cautious on this one.

SG, aren't you in Maxwell's district? The speaker casts tie beaker votes, assigns committees, etc. That district has no representation. I thought for sure that a "fill in" would be appointed by the governor until a special election later in the year.

Richardson certainly did not bring home the goods, ala Tom Murphy, to our local community, so I don't expect much change whomever is elected.

Hey, I already work in Atlanta so maybe I should run? I'm used to the commute and I can certainly do a much better job than some of the people who are already in those slots. What do you think my chances are? :rofl:

I would say go for it.

Don't sell yourself so short on being able to do a better job than the predecessor.

SG, aren't you in Maxwell's district? The speaker casts tie beaker votes, assigns committees, etc. That district has no representation. I thought for sure that a "fill in" would be appointed by the governor until a special election later in the year.

Richardson certainly did not bring home the goods, ala Tom Murphy, to our local community, so I don't expect much change whomever is elected.

That statement right there is what is wrong with Government. Pick the loser first FB. Whose pocket do you want our next representative to pick so that he can slide his hand into yours? There is a Peter for every Paul.

That statement right there is what is wrong with Government. Pick the loser first FB. Whose pocket do you want our next representative to pick so that he can slide his hand into yours? There is a Peter for every Paul.

Not necessarily.

I expect our representative to be out there lobbying for any and all state monies to help fund projects here. Richardson did not do that. He was successful at getting $4million for airport building "un-funded" when Sonny line item vetoed them because Richardson pissed him off on some other issues. The loser ? The tax payers of Paulding who have to step in and pay for the terminal building. Bear in mind until this past January 2009, Richardson was getting a $72,000 per year retainer to "Lobby" for Paulding on top of his salary as our Representative and Speaker.

In that old Missouri fashion, SHOW ME WHERE HE EARNED THAT KIND OF MONEY.

The Speaker can proposed legislation, but what I saw of Richardson, and Maxwell's proposals was bills to help out the various Fat-Cat Lobby groups such as Banking, Home Builders and the Medical industry. Murphy did far more for the average Paulding Tax Payer/Voter along with Nathan Dean for DOT funding, the Senior Center, Chattahoochee Tech, the Silver Comet Trail and more. Again, please show me what Richardson did for the average Joe in Paulding......

I sincerely hope our next representative will indeed be downtown trying to get whatever he can for us as well as doing their part for the rest of Georgia.

Nothing set in stone, but from a little more digging around, I understand David Austin is planning to stay right where he is as our BOC Chairman and not seek Richardson's seat.

Nothing set in stone, but from a little more digging around, I understand David Austin is planning to stay right where he is as our BOC Chairman and not seek Richardson's seat.

That is what Hubby said when I asked if he thought Austin would run for the seat.

Not necessarily.

I expect our representative to be out there lobbying for any and all state monies to help fund projects here. Richardson did not do that. He was successful at getting $4million for airport building "un-funded" when Sonny line item vetoed them because Richardson pissed him off on some other issues. The loser ? The tax payers of Paulding who have to step in and pay for the terminal building. Bear in mind until this past January 2009, Richardson was getting a $72,000 per year retainer to "Lobby" for Paulding on top of his salary as our Representative and Speaker.

In that old Missouri fashion, SHOW ME WHERE HE EARNED THAT KIND OF MONEY.

The Speaker can proposed legislation, but what I saw of Richardson, and Maxwell's proposals was bills to help out the various Fat-Cat Lobby groups such as Banking, Home Builders and the Medical industry. Murphy did far more for the average Paulding Tax Payer/Voter along with Nathan Dean for DOT funding, the Senior Center, Chattahoochee Tech, the Silver Comet Trail and more. Again, please show me what Richardson did for the average Joe in Paulding......

I sincerely hope our next representative will indeed be downtown trying to get whatever he can for us as well as doing their part for the rest of Georgia.

Then by the same token, you would have no problem paying for a $4 million terminal building in say Valdosta. You have to take money from someone to give it to someone else. Just because you steal it from a larger group of people doesn't make it right or proper. It's still Pork, and it still stinks. This state has lived by the I want mine screw you credo for at least the 40 years that I have lived here, and it needs to stop. It is not a competition to see which representative can put the biggest Effing on the taxpayers of the state of Georgia. Or at least it shouldn't be. PICK THE LOSER FIRST. And be sure to include yourself in that loser column every time you hear of a representative telling the home folk how much pig he pulled in for the faithful.

We had a great example of the good old boy network. I thought for sure Richardson would do the same - but he didn't or couldn't.

I am all for self-reliance and low government control.

:good:

• Like 1

So then why did King Jerry and company build the damn airport if they had no funding for finishing it ? Just piss away the FAA money for condemning and building the runways to then not finish it ?

My point is not that the terminal was "Pork" anymore than the Senior Center, the Silver Comet, or the West Hiram Parkway. All of those were worthy projects which State funding helped underwrite.

My point was what did Richardson do for us in his years as our Representative and as Speaker ? Murphy and Nathan Dean did indeed help get us funding to build worthy community oriented projects. CTC is a great asset to Paulding, as is the Silver Comet.

Just what did Richardson do for us ?

So then why did King Jerry and company build the damn airport if they had no funding for finishing it ? Just piss away the FAA money for condemning and building the runways to then not finish it ?

My point is not that the terminal was "Pork" anymore than the Senior Center, the Silver Comet, or the West Hiram Parkway. All of those were worthy projects which State funding helped underwrite.

My point was what did Richardson do for us in his years as our Representative and as Speaker ? Murphy and Nathan Dean did indeed help get us funding to build worthy community oriented projects. CTC is a great asset to Paulding, as is the Silver Comet.

Just what did Richardson do for us ?

I am afraid that you miss my point entirely, and I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

I am afraid that you miss my point entirely, and I'm not surprised.

Seriously now, where do you draw the line between pork, and reasonably projects funded by the STate, good for the entire community ?

I have no problem with the airport, at think it could be an asset to the county for economic development. But you need the industrial space available for prospective business concerns to move into. From what I understand the IBA is bankrolling the airport terminal while we still have no good industrial/office parks to move into. So the money which could have built the terminal from the state got pissed away, and money which could have built spec industrial/office space is building the terminal instead.

And the other projects I mentioned....Silver Comet, Senior Center, West Hiram Parkway, etc. Were these pork, or reasonable project which the entire community benefits from ?

So what indeed is your point ? We are not talking about funding a Bass Fishing Bonanza Complex, simply items needed by the community which theoretically benefit all. So where does this leave us now ? Nothing to speak of from the State in what....6 to 7 years ?

Then by the same token, you would have no problem paying for a $4 million terminal building in say Valdosta. You have to take money from someone to give it to someone else. Just because you steal it from a larger group of people doesn't make it right or proper. It's still Pork, and it still stinks. This state has lived by the I want mine screw you credo for at least the 40 years that I have lived here, and it needs to stop. It is not a competition to see which representative can put the biggest Effing on the taxpayers of the state of Georgia. Or at least it shouldn't be. PICK THE LOSER FIRST. And be sure to include yourself in that loser column every time you hear of a representative telling the home folk how much pig he pulled in for the faithful.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

My gosh just look at the new courthouse. All that money spent on it and it is like a ghost town when you go in. Nobody is in there.

A Pork Project bestowed on The Facility Group by Jerry Shearin, and post commissioners Kirby, Powell, and Ragsdale. In turn, The Facility Group "bestows" substantial political contributions back to many of our current and former politicians.

Nice huh ?