Paulding.com

Youths arrested in altercation at local high school

Three youths arrested in altercation at local high school

An 18 year old female South Paulding High School student is in jail tonight having been charged with felony obstruction, public affray and disruption of a public school after that student attacked the School Resource Officer, according to the Paulding Sheriff's office. The 18 year old student was apparently in the midst of a fight with two other girls, aged 16 and 17, when the officer sought to stop the fight and she turned on him, said Deputy Brandon Gurley, public information officer for the Sheriff's office. The officer then used his tazer to disable the woman, he said.

The two youths, whose names are withheld because of their age, were also charged with public affray (fighting in public) and disruption of a public school. Publicly charged in the incident is Tiara Darby, who, according to bookin records, is a 5-8 inch 190 pound black woman,

The fight between the youths broke out in the cafeteria after the last bell of the day and administrators, who were trying to quell the melee, called the schools resource officer for assistance. Officers did not presume a reason for the fight.

Fire Rescue, Deputy Gurley said, is routinely called to the scene of tazer incidents and checked the condition of the 18 year old. After being given the all-clear, Ms. Darby was taken to the Paulding County Jail. The other youths were transported to the youth detention center.

Deputy Gurly said the SO is investigating to determine if others were involved in the fight and held open the possibility that others may be arrested as an outcome of this incident. Students at the school who may have direct knowledge of the involvement of others are encouraged to come forward with their information.

Shoot back in my day if you were caught fighting in school the worse you got was a suspension. Heck we didn't even get arrested for coming to school intoxicated. Its amazing how things can change in 10 years.

It sounds like the difference in this situation was that she turned on the cop. Maybe the severity of the situation prompted the charges?

Shoot back in my day if you were caught fighting in school the worse you got was a suspension. Heck we didn't even get arrested for coming to school intoxicated. Its amazing how things can change in 10 years.

WOW in my day young girls would NEVER fist fight...just was not heard of. We were taught better which is what is missing now days.

And not to mention a healthy respect for what would happen to us at home if we were to lose our minds and do it.

Publicly charged in the incident is Tiara Darby, who, according to bookin records, is a 5-8 inch 190 pound black woman,

I'm glad he tazed her ass, she was probably bigger than he was.

Glad she's in jail too.

An 18 year old female South Paulding High School student is in jail tonight having been charged with felony obstruction, public affray and disruption of a public school after that student attacked the School Resource Officer, according to the Paulding Sheriff's office. The 18 year old student was apparently in the midst of a fight with two other girls, aged 16 and 17, when the officer sought to stop the fight and she turned on him, said Deputy Brandon Gurley, public information officer for the Sheriff's office. The officer then used his tazer to disable the woman, he said.

The two youths, whose names are withheld because of their age, were also charged with public affray (fighting in public) and disruption of a public school. Publicly charged in the incident is Tiara Darby, who, according to bookin records, is a 5-8 inch 190 pound black woman,

The fight between the youths broke out in the cafeteria after the last bell of the day and administrators, who were trying to quell the melee, called the schools resource officer for assistance. Officers did not presume a reason for the fight.

Fire Rescue, Deputy Gurley said, is routinely called to the scene of tazer incidents and checked the condition of the 18 year old. After being given the all-clear, Ms. Darby was taken to the Paulding County Jail. The other youths were transported to the youth detention center.

Deputy Gurly said the SO is investigating to determine if others were involved in the fight and held open the possibility that others may be arrested as an outcome of this incident. Students at the school who may have direct knowledge of the involvement of others are encouraged to come forward with their information.

I can't believe that this girl was so out of control she attacked an officer.

I would not want his job.

I can't believe that this girl was so out of control she attacked an officer.

I would not want his job.

We did not have these things to happen when I was in school. I wonder what has changed? :o I would not want his/her job either but we never needed them in my school.

We did not have these things to happen when I was in school. I wonder what has changed? :o I would not want his/her job either but we never needed them in my school.

We had fights at our school growing up, but it was mostly boys.

A few girls would pull hair and such, but nothing like this.

Kids are very different now, less supervision, so many parents work with long commutes it is hard on all involved.

18 is still a kid, a kid with big problems, now society's problem, what a waste.

Lack of parenting, morals,& respect plays a large role, I would think.

18 years old and still in school is at least a good thing, I hope.

The influences these young people have sure need to be better. I do hope they get some help.

Here is the official SO release on the matter. Apparently the state no longer protects the names of 17 year olds and they are taken to the county detention center.

Arrests Made at South Paulding High School

(Paulding County, GA) Tiara Darby, 18 year old female, was arrested yesterday after

being involved in a physical altercation at South Paulding High School that involved

multiple people.

Darby was charged with Public Affray, Obstruction (Felony), and

Disruption of a Public School and taken to the Paulding County Detention Center.

A Paulding County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officer was called to “The

Commons” area of South Paulding High School in reference to a fight shortly after

students were released from their last class at the end of the school day. Several

administrators were already attempting to break up the altercation which involved

multiple people.

The deputy attempted to place handcuffs on Darby due to the violent

and aggressive behavior that she was displaying. Darby attempted to assault the deputy

which forced the deputy to deploy a Taser device in order to control Darby and place her

in custody.

Darby then became compliant and was placed in handcuffs without further

incident or injury. Emergency Medical Technicians were called to the scene (as standard

procedure) due to the Taser use. Darby was cleared on the scene by medical personnel

and transported by a deputy to the Paulding County Detention Center.

Renesha Adams, 17 year old female, was also arrested and transported to the Paulding

County Detention Center charged with Public Affray. A 16 year old juvenile was also

charged with Public Affray and released pending a court date.

The investigation in to this incident is ongoing and additional arrests are possible.

-30-