Paulding.com

I assume this happened at her residence? (I realize you probably don't know, hence the assumption)-I would be ticked off sure enough if I couldn't get out of my vehicle at my own home because someone else's dog was hanging around.

Me I would be ticked if I was to scared to get out of the car just because a dog was there unless the dog was showing signs of being mean....I mean come on just the sight of dog and you need to call 911????? What a waste of tax payer money.

I "couldn't" leave my house one day last week due to a LARGE dog stalking my front door. I had to wait him out. He may have been the friendliest dog in the world, but I wasn't about to risk it considering he likely weighed as much as I do and was probably about the same height if he "stood up"

I assume this happened at her residence? (I realize you probably don't know, hence the assumption)-I would be ticked off sure enough if I couldn't get out of my vehicle at my own home because someone else's dog was hanging around.

That happens to us quiet a bit. I've been attacked in my own yard by my neighbors dog. He is a mean dog and they continue to let him roam the neighborhood. He's gone after more than one person. In fact, he is out roaming right now and almost got my cat who is on MY porch. He pees all over my flowers and every one elses' as well.

Edited by iamadawgfan
y'all need to start packin' heat to take care of all those strange dogs stalking each of you!

Oh honey - believe this - I am ALWAYS packing heat - my 380 is named AmEx - cuz I don't leave home without it!

Conversely, I know I can get in serious trouble with the po po if I cap a dog in my yard.

One Word: Tazer

Woof, Woof = "Don't Taze me dudette!!"

:)

Actually, how could you get into trouble if he's in your yard? Are you in Cobb? I know it's illegal to discharge firearms there, but in Paulding, I can't think of why you could get in legal trouble. The dog is in violation of the leash law and if you feel threatened by him, it would seem to be a legitimate use of force. (I imagine it would tick the neighbor off, but hey, you are ticked off now, so it would make it even right?)

SG

One Word: Tazer

Woof, Woof = "Don't Taze me dudette!!"

:)

Actually, how could you get into trouble if he's in your yard? Are you in Cobb? I know it's illegal to discharge firearms there, but in Paulding, I can't think of why you could get in legal trouble. The dog is in violation of the leash law and if you feel threatened by him, it would seem to be a legitimate use of force. (I imagine it would tick the neighbor off, but hey, you are ticked off now, so it would make it even right?)

SG

Several years and several houses ago, we had a very aggressive chow charging and growling at my husband. Hubby didn't want to kill it, we just wanted it to go away, so hubby 'tagged" it a couple of times with a pellet gun. When we were discussing it in a group one night, a cop told us that we could be charged with cruelty to animals for that.

This was well before the stiffer laws were imposed for animal cruelty, so I was thinking the fallout for shooting a dog now would be really bad.

I think this is an issue of someone who is afraid of dogs.

While I can understand most folks being somewhat fearful of a big unknown dog in their yard, the reality is the dog knows that he/she doesn't belong there and if you do, you can probably diffuse the situation by telling the animal to get gone in no certain terms. Yep, just tell 'em ... If you have something you can throw at them or a stick or some such, to 'highlight' your wanting them gone, 90 percent of the time, they'll follow your direction.

If you are fearful, stand behind your open car door ready to use it as a big bat and just speak forcefully because you belong there and they don't.

You'll be able to retreat back into the car easily if they dog confronts you, then back up, and as long as you know where your septic lines are (avoid them), start the car and run the mutt off . If that doesn't work, then animal control ought to be called or, alternatively it is time to take out a larger weapon.

But usually, if you just stand up, proclaim to the animal that you belong here and they don't and they are to leave, 90 percent will tuck tail and run.

pubby

Several years and several houses ago, we had a very aggressive chow charging and growling at my husband. Hubby didn't want to kill it, we just wanted it to go away, so hubby 'tagged" it a couple of times with a pellet gun. When we were discussing it in a group one night, a cop told us that we could be charged with cruelty to animals for that.

This was well before the stiffer laws were imposed for animal cruelty, so I was thinking the fallout for shooting a dog now would be really bad.

Ok, I see where you are coming from. With a pellet gun, you might have a problem since the odds of killing it are low, but serious painful injury is a definite possibility. I was thinking more in line with really being fearful of attack and using the 380.

While I can understand most folks being somewhat fearful of a big unknown dog in their yard, the reality is the dog knows that he/she doesn't belong there and if you do, you can probably diffuse the situation by telling the animal to get gone in no certain terms. Yep, just tell 'em ... If you have something you can throw at them or a stick or some such, to 'highlight' your wanting them gone, 90 percent of the time, they'll follow your direction.

:lol: I know where you are coming from Pubby, but I read this and I get this picture in my head of someone on the witness stand in court popped up. "Your Honor, I swear, I told the dog to leave but it didn't listen!!" :lol: :lol:

However, in all seriousness, the size of the animal and it's actions makes a difference also. A small dog barking is an anoyance... throw a rock or two. A big dog, growling like its his place and he's ready to defend it? I do not want to take the chance the next time he comes it might be my child and he decide he can win that time. There are enough stories of dogs killing other pets, kids and even adults to make me take it seriously. (I think I read last week of a 70 YO woman who was injured and her dog killed in an attack)

SG

i live on ridge rd right near the library...i believe it may have been last year....i stepped out the front door heading to my car and looked up to see 2 large rottweilers right in front of me in the driveway....needless to say....it spooked the hell out of me...i'm not one to back down from a dog either and i did the whole ::in heavy hillbilly accent:: "get outta here!" ....throwin my hands up and everything......yeeeeah....no...didn't work ....those dogs looked at me and just started growling...not backing off at all......my butt got back inside quick........waited them out till later............haven't seen them since in the yard....but i have seen what i assume to be them just right down the road at a nearby house.

but i do agree with Pubby...majority of the time....a dog will back off if you stand your ground and assert yourself.

Actually, the neighbors have obtained/acquired another dog that has tried to attack my dog inside my truck (with the window down) when I turned into my driveway, and that also tried to attack a person on a motorcycle who did the same. It appears to be some kind of a large lab/something mix, and it's jumped on my dog twice (my dog is a beagle/bassett hound mix and less than half his size), once injuring him badly enough that I had to take him to the vet.

The same dog cuts across my yard on his way home when he's roaming free throughout the neighborhood, and has never behaved aggressively toward me if I happened to walk outside while he was on the other side of my yard, but I don't know that I'd jump out of my vehicle if he were between me and my front door given his previous behavior, either.

I'm one of about 3 people in my entire neighborhood who seems to feel it's necessary to observe the leash law.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk