Paulding.com

Florence Strickland Green, age 82, of Hiram, passed away on Tuesday, March 18, 2008. Mrs. Green was born on April 8, 1925, in Rockmart, GA, to the late John Thomas Thompson, Sr. and the late Willie Rebecca Hencely Thompson. She was also preceded in death by her husband, Ben Hill Strickland, Sr. and Robert L. Green, and her daughter & son-in-law, Becky & Hal Echols. Mrs. Green was a lifelong member of Poplar Springs Baptist Church. She and her husband, Ben Hill Strickland, Sr. started and successfully ran Strickland’s Grocery from 1946 to 1980, and she also worked at the First National Bank in Dallas.

Survivors include her son & daughter-in-law, Ben Hill Strickland, Jr. & wife, Rusty of Hiram; daughter & son-in-law, Sylvia Smith & husband, Jim of Hiram; step-sons, Mike Green, David Green, and Dan Green; brother Charles A. Thompson of Austell; sister, Hellon Thompson Hooper of Monticello; grandchildren, Jill Smith Brown & husband, Scott, Jason Smith & wife Ashley, Matt Echols & wife, Abby, Rachel Strickland Adomnik & husband, Jeremy, Ben Hill Strickland, III & wife, Ashley, and Katie Echols Harrison & husband, Trae; great-grandchildren, Molly Brown, Alle Strickland, Julia Brown, Sidney Adomnik, Henry Echols, and Carson Adomnik; step-granddaughter, Kaitlin Green; numerous nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held on Friday, March 21, 2008, at 11:00am, from Poplar Springs Baptist Church, with Dr. Tim Walker and Dr. Gil Watson officiating. Interment will follow in Poplar Springs Baptist Church Cemetery. Scott Brown, Jason Smith, Matt Echols, Trae Harrison, Beau Strickland, and Jeremy Adomnik will serve as pallbearers. The family will receive friends at the funeral home on Thursday from 4:00pm until 8:00pm.

Flowers are accepted or donations may be made to the Becky Strickland Echols Memorial Scholarship Fund, P. O. Box 2004, Hiram, GA 30141.

Clark Funeral Home in Hiram, Ga. is in charge of arrangements. www.samclarkfuneralhome.com

This is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever known. Having been a family friend from an early age, and later when I married into the family, there was never anything but goodness from this woman.

She will be missed, but she was ready to go home to be with family who has gone before her.

I passed by her house over the weekend and saw a lot of cars there... I was wondering if she was OK. I grew up around her and Ben Hill... she was a wonderful woman. My prayers and thoughts go for all the family.

Did she live in downtown Hiram area?