Paulding.com

Long before I lived in Paulding County, I was affected by Paulding County. I actually lived in Cherokee County, but every Wednesday evening, I drove directly from my job to my sister’s house in the subdivision in Paulding where she had her ranch style home.

Wednesday night was my sister’s night. We would stay up until all hours of the night and I would catch up with everything that had happened with her during the week. Most of the time her week’s events weren’t good.

My niece, Tamra Renea Wilson (Tammy), had been born with Cerebral Palsy, and she was severely mentally retarded. My sister, Nancy, was basically a shut-in. Nancy spent every waking moment just keeping her daughter alive. During the last five years of her life, it was especially hard. She had to suction her daughter’s trach tube just to help her breathe. Tammy was fed with a stomach tube. My niece spent the last five years of her life just struggling to live. She had an enormous will to live, but it was a losing battle. My sister’s struggle was just retaining her sanity through it all.

Before Tammy got so bad, she attended Paulding Enterprise. That was before it changed to only accept adult students. It was a life-saver for my sister. Two summers in a row, I went with that group to take the children to Walt Disney World and other Florida attractions. Always, I was struck by how much love that the people of Paulding gave my niece and other children like her. One summer I was responsible for a child with Downs Syndrome named Johnny. The next summer I spent with a child with autism. Those were life changing experiences for me.

My sister and her husband belonged to Tabernacle Baptist Church where Bill Patrick was the preacher, and it was common on my Wednesday night visits to see a member of that Church coming to check on Nancy and her family. They were always there, making sure she was okay and that the family had everything she needed. Nancy’s family grew to know those Church members and the members of Nancy’s subdivision. We were so grateful that they were there for her when we couldn’t be, considering how far away Nancy’s family lived.

Nancy’s next door neighbor, Linda Rollins, told me later that she used to watch me out the window of her home riding my bicycle with my nephew, Tim, on Wednesday nights, and think how she wished she could find me a husband. When Frank Sparti’s sister, expressed her wish to find her brother a partner, Linda Rollins found a mission. Every Wednesday when I came to visit, she would tell me about Frank. Every time she saw Frank at her job where she worked for Dr. John Sparti she would tell Frank about me. Together with my sister and Frank’s sister, Linda collaborated to bring us together. We submitted to their combined efforts and married after knowing each other only four and a half months. We were both twenty-seven years old at the time. We had our first child just nine months and eleven days later. We’ve been together ever since.

I continued to try to spend time with my sister on a weekly basis, but after marriage and with a baby of my own on the way, it was more difficult. Paulding County stepped in to become my sister’s family. I was amazed at how much Nancy’s community and her Church did for them.

When it came time to take Tammy to the hospital that one last time, everyone knew that this time the ambulance would not be bringing her home. As the ambulance rolled out of the subdivision, all the neighbors lined up on the road and silently stood, watching them pass in silent tribute and support.

My niece, whose birthday is August 9th, died on August 11th. When Tammy was brought back to Eberhart Funeral Home, the parking lots were full of Paulding County people that helped us all make it through that difficult time.

As I saw the parking lot of Eberhart Funeral Home full to capacity several times this last month to show their support for Charles Curl and Edna Parker, I remembered how full it was after Tammy died and it made me remember how wonderful it was to be a part of such a community.

When I was growing up, I moved around a lot. My father had “itchy feet”, we called it. I went to several different schools. I always promised myself I would find a place that I could settle and be a part of the community. I am grateful that Paulding is now my home. Thank you, Paulding County, for helping my sister and my niece those many years ago. May you always embrace each other in such a selfless way.

Please pray for my sister through this difficult week for her. Even after all these years, it is still hard.

In memory of our family’s angel, Tamra Renea Wilson, born August 9, 1971, died August 11, 1987 at the age of sweet sixteen.

Please know that you and your family will be in my thoughts this week. I have a huge respect for people that care for the disabled. I have a cousin with Cerebral Palsy and my family has done some amazing things for him. I also had a second cousin pass away because he had an epileptic seizure while he was home alone. (he was a grown man) I only know from the outside what it's like to care for someone with special needs. But it's truly amazing what they teach you. I met a girl a few years older than me while I was in high school that had Downs, and some of things she taught me, I will never, ever forget.

Your Friend,

Mackenzie61104

My prayers are with your family on this very hard week. I too know how hard it is to lose a very dear and close family member. The times in life when you celebrated them, or with them, such as birthdays, holidays, or just a family dinner. When they are not there any longer, there is gap. And that gap will never be filled. My Daddy passed away last November, from a sudden illness. It was so hard, and even harder now. My heart goes out to all of the family. May God Bless and be with all the family during this time.

WMR,

I am so sorry for your situation and loss. You are to be admired and appreciated for your perspective and for your work with Tammy. My wife has worked with special needs children, and I know from experience it can be very difficult when one of them is lost. The courage you showed is something your sister will never forget. It is also something that significantly enriched Tammy's life, and definitely was worth the investment you made.

Thanks so much for all of your comments, but most of all for your prayers. This is a difficult week, but this year may be a little different. Tomorrow my younger sister's daughter is supposed to deliver our new baby to the family. I'm picking up my older sister, Nancy, and we are going to be there when our newest member of the family is born. Life goes on, so sweetly.

IDidntDoIt, I'm not the one with the courage. My sister, Nancy, never failed to amaze me with her strength and courage. I believe God chooses special people to loan his angels to. And Tammy, herself, would smile and laugh at the most amazing moments, as if to give us all courage. It is her laugh we miss the most.

Tammy brought us all closer to God. It has never been a mystery why she was born. It was a wonderful, precious gift. She lead a lot of people to God, including her two grandfathers, who might have needed a little extra persuasion, otherwise. :rolleyes:

And shouldbeworkin, you are right to be proud to be from Paulding County. What a group of great people.

Thanks, again to all of you.

• 2 years later...

I resurrected this topic from a year or so back to honor my two nieces: Today is the Heavenly Birthday of our Tammy and the Earthly birthday of our Kate. Since this post, our family has added children, my grandson Beau Ashton Sparti and Nan's grandchildren, Sam and Mike Stegall.

Life goes on in a great way.

Betty

I resurrected this topic from a year or so back to honor my two nieces: Today is the Heavenly Birthday of our Tammy and the Earthly birthday of our Kate. Since this post, our family has added children, my grandson Beau Ashton Sparti and Nan's grandchildren, Sam and Mike Stegall.

Betty

I am so glad you did because I was not here when it was first posted. What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing. This makes me proud to be a Paudling County resident - - - not much lately has made me feel that way. ;)

Continued prayers for you and your family. And thanks and all praise to God for the gifts Tammy gave to her family, her church, and her community. :wub:

Betty

WMR

I was so excited to read your story. I knew Tammy and Nancy. I used to love to go visit her when I was younger. I used to go over and visit them all the time with my sister-n-law (Alan's sister). I loved the dolls that nancy used to make with "sissy's" name on the back. Sissy had such a sweet sweet soul and her smile could brighten up any room. I'll never forget what a sweetheart she was!!!! Thanks for reminding me. My sister-n-law loved that girl so much as did her parents (Rose and Gene). I'll have to call her this evening and talk to her about Tammy. I didn't realize that today was her "Heavenly" Birthday. Thanks again for sharing! Please tell Nancy that Mitch's little sister says Hi!!!

WOW

talk about a tear jerker

my oldest baby girl turns sweet 16 today Aug 9

i cryed for 10min after i read this

Me too! Mine turned 16 3 weeks ago. I am praying for your sister. Now I am sitting at my desk CRYING and everyone wants to know why!!

I, too, was not on this board for your original post, and I thank you for bringing it back and sharing it again.

I found myself, like others have commented, crying as I read your tribute and thanks. (I'm still crying.) But my tears are both from your joy and your pain, and your amazing ability to express both so well at the same time. It's not often that we get to have those two feelings all at once.

Your niece still reaches people, and she does it through your love and rememberance of the blessing she was, and still is.

Congratulations on the new baby coming tomorrow, Aunt Betty! :wub:

Great post! I walked out to the bus stop with tears streaming down my face to pick up my little one. I too have a sister like yours (MISSOCD)! My nephew has CP and my sissy is the best mommy to him. She's pretty much turned herself inside out for him since he was born in 94. I can't begin to tell yall how proud I am of her and how Josh has affected our lives. Thank you for helping me remember to tell her how much I appreciate her and what she does.

Great post! I walked out to the bus stop with tears streaming down my face to pick up my little one. I too have a sister like yours (MISSOCD)! My nephew has CP and my sissy is the best mommy to him. She's pretty much turned herself inside out for him since he was born in 94. I can't begin to tell yall how proud I am of her and how Josh has affected our lives. Thank you for helping me remember to tell her how much I appreciate her and what she does.

You know I Love you girl!!! :wub: Thanks!

God Bless you, missocd, in your higher purpose. I believe that special people are chosen to take care of God's Angels on Earth. Give her loads of support, Mamma Smitty.

Dalejrbudbabe8, please tell Linda I said hello! I still have one of Nan's dolls in a prominent place in my livingroom. She gets a new outfit with every season and has Christmas pajamas, even. It always amazed me how Nan could come up with ideas to make money from home since she never got out.

Thanks to all for your good wishes for my family and your comments.