Paulding.com

Flyers on mail boxes

The Paulding County Sheriff's Office wants to warn residents of a possible scam that is occuring in some parts of Paulding County. A company is posting a flyer on citizens mailboxes asking for a $10 check to paint their street address on the curb in front of the residence. The company does not leave any pertinent information on the flyer which leads authorities to believe that it may be a hoax. Please do not leave money in your mailbox for this service. If anyone has any information regarding this potential scam please contact the PCSO Criminial Investigations Division at (770) 443-3015.

I don't think it is a scam. A guy came around and did that in our neighborhood a few years back. He said it was optional to donate the $10 but he did paint the house numbers on curb no matter if you donated or not.

Said it was to help fire/rescue/police people locate the address easier.

Not sure if its the same guy or not.

I don't think it is a scam. A guy came around and did that in our neighborhood a few years back. He said it was optional to donate the $10 but he did paint the house numbers on curb no matter if you donated or not.

Said it was to help fire/rescue/police people locate the address easier.

Not sure if its the same guy or not.

You should never, ever give anyone a check, if you do not know them!!!! With an exception to legit businesses. Remember, "IF" it sound too good to be true, then it probably is.

My parents had it done last year. Guy left flyer, they left money, he panted the number on the road. It was very neat and did not look bad..

I think it would be cheaper to do it your self tho.

Edited by orrby

You should never, ever give anyone a check, if you do not know them!!!! With an exception to legit businesses. Remember, "IF" it sound too good to be true, then it probably is.

How can it be a scam if they will STILL DO IT FOR FREE? I got one of those flyers in my mailbox a year or two ago, I forgot about it, so never had the numbers done. It said the same thing.

My parents had it done last year. Guy left flyer, they left money, he panted the number on the road. It was very neat and did not look bad..

I think it would be cheaper to do it your self tho.

Maybe... for $10 you'll get it done. I don't know if they will use a black background with white reflective numbers. But the white paint would be about $6-10, and then a few more for the black paint, add on stencils and you're probably at $10 at the least and probably closer to $12-15.

Just got this alert:

Advisory: *Be Aware of an Local Scam*

The Paulding County Sheriff's Office wants to warn residents of a possible scam that is occuring in some parts of Paulding County. A company is posting a flyer on citizens mailboxes asking for a $10 check to paint their street address on the curb in front of the residence. The company does not leave any pertinent information on the flyer which leads authorities to believe that it may be a hoax. Please do not leave money in your mailbox for this service. If anyone has any information regarding this potential scam please contact the PCSO Criminial Investigations Division at (770) 443-3015.

How can it be a scam if they will STILL DO IT FOR FREE? I got one of those flyers in my mailbox a year or two ago, I forgot about it, so never had the numbers done. It said the same thing.

Maybe... for $10 you'll get it done. I don't know if they will use a black background with white reflective numbers. But the white paint would be about $6-10, and then a few more for the black paint, add on stencils and you're probably at $10 at the least and probably closer to $12-15.

I think Mrs G was meaning that if you give the man a check you are pretty much giving him your checking account info (routing number and account #) I didn't pay much mind to that part of the flyer (from a few years back) so it is a very good point to make.

And yes he used black paint in the shape of a rectangle and then painted (stenciled) each number in reflective paint (silver or white I can't remember and now its faded if not gone). It looked great. We were surprised to find the whole neighborhood done because I doubt many if any gave him money.

While I am glad that the Law is looking out for us on this I do not think that it is that big of a deal.

I myself am much more worried about the old lady in the Jeep who keeps swindling people.

JMHO