Paulding.com

Yes, it was our tool shed in the back yard, it exploded and burned.

RomanGirl??? Ha! I got you now! ;)

This was in my neighborhood, and VERY close to me. Very scary, but no one got hurt, so it's good on that part. We are just happy that the damage was contained before the fire spread any further. I was actually walking over there to ask my friend a question, then BOOMM~~ landing flat on my butt. Got up, and grabbed the cell phone and called 911....who were very quick to respond!! Thank you, Paulding Fire Department~~ :clapping:

Of course, it took my heart about an hour to stop beating like crazy, but at least no person got hurt. It could have been worse, but we are a tight nit community, and we take care of our own....

Please note that, RomanGirl. ;) Whatever you guys need, Me and Mine are right here for you! :)

We heard it on the scanner and were on Ridge so we pulled in and was happy to see it wasnt the whole house. From the description on the scanner they were saying windows exploding from the "residence". Do you know what started it?

It was a shed in back of the house, not the house itself. Beats me on the exploding windows thing.???

what caused the explosion? Just wondering because hubby has a shop that shares space with my barn.

I'm so glad no one was hurt and your house is okay!!

They told me it was a battery charger that exploded & there were prophan tanks in the shed too. So glad everyone is ok.

They told me it was a battery charger that exploded & there were prophan tanks in the shed too. So glad everyone is ok.

Oh lawdy....we have one of those. I assume it was plugged up and charging something. I guess I'll make my honey do a safety check of things in the shop.

Thanks!

Yikes! I am glad ya'll are ok. All that black smoke was pretty scary.

The second blast landed me on my buttocks!!! I was shaking like a leaf on a tree for about 4 hours after that. But EVERYONE is fine!! ;) Paulding's Fire Dept. showed up very quickly, and saved out butts!! Kudo's to them!!! The only thing that bothers me is that this happened to the NICEST neighbor anyone could ever ask for. I hate it when things like that happen to such fine folks. :(

But around here in my "hood", we all pull together and help one another out....always have, always will. :D

• Like 1

What caused it to blow up???

Same thing that start many fires and small explosions....charging batteries on those golf carts. And with so many using electric golf carts these days, always be careful...charge the batteries OUTSIDE!!! Never inside, unless all doors are open and there is plenty of ventilation. AS soon as you stick a charger on a battery, it immediately releases hydrogen gas- one of the most volatile gases on the earth. If you need to charge the battery on your riding mower, for example.....plug the charger in, and run the cable OUTSIDE the garage to the battery. Never inside. It's not all that common, but it does happen. The smaller the closed in space, the higher the risk. It's all about ventilation, and folks...even if it rain on your battery while it's outside charging, it won't hurt a thing, since it's D.C. current. DC will not shock you. You can grab both ends of a battery all day long with each hand, and NOTHING will happen. So, just set the battery(s) outside during charge time. ;)

ahhhhh, u are RomanGirl!!! :wub: I have never seen my daughter run like that, just to be there for your daughter, and to stay with her. As soon as she saw the smoke, she said she has to make sure Jen was okay! I told Chey I was proud of how worried she was of Jen, and how she showed what a good friend she is. Im glad no one was hurt, but Im sad with all you lost in the shed. We are here for yall also, if you need us. :wub:

• Like 1

The second blast landed me on my buttocks!!! I was shaking like a leaf on a tree for about 4 hours after that. But EVERYONE is fine!! ;) Paulding's Fire Dept. showed up very quickly, and saved out butts!! Kudo's to them!!! The only thing that bothers me is that this happened to the NICEST neighbor anyone could ever ask for. I hate it when things like that happen to such fine folks. :(

But around here in my "hood", we all pull together and help one another out....always have, always will. :D

Yes, I think we have a great neighborhood!! Im glad we moved here :wub: :wub:

And yes, that blast was very loud and powerful, I can just think how loud and powerful it was for yall up there!

Thanks everyone, yes they say it was from the battery charger! it was terrible! Subby pretty much explained it all. Stacey, thank you, Jennifer was histerical for a while! I appreciate all the neighbors who came and checked on us and called the fire department. We do have a great neighborhood with people who do for one another. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone, yes they say it was from the battery charger! it was terrible! Subby pretty much explained it all. Stacey, thank you, Jennifer was histerical for a while! I appreciate all the neighbors who came and checked on us and called the fire department. We do have a great neighborhood with people who do for one another. Thanks again.

Who's this "Subby" character??? Please tell me he's not your neighbor!!! :lol:

All kidding aside, I'm just glad no one got hurt, and the fire dept. gets an A+ for their quick response!! Love you guys, and you know we're here if you need anything at all. :)

Same thing that start many fires and small explosions....charging batteries on those golf carts. And with so many using electric golf carts these days, always be careful...charge the batteries OUTSIDE!!! Never inside, unless all doors are open and there is plenty of ventilation. AS soon as you stick a charger on a battery, it immediately releases hydrogen gas- one of the most volatile gases on the earth. If you need to charge the battery on your riding mower, for example.....plug the charger in, and run the cable OUTSIDE the garage to the battery. Never inside. It's not all that common, but it does happen. The smaller the closed in space, the higher the risk. It's all about ventilation, and folks...even if it rain on your battery while it's outside charging, it won't hurt a thing, since it's D.C. current. DC will not shock you. You can grab both ends of a battery all day long with each hand, and NOTHING will happen. So, just set the battery(s) outside during charge time. ;)

WOW I never knew that....good info

WOW I never knew that....good info

Just trying to help people avoid some dangerous problems in the future. For those of you who like to get greasy and dirty (like me) and use a lot of "grease rags", also be aware that improper storage of grease rags can cause a fire too!! Oil-soaked rags are a spontaneous combustion hazard because as the oil oxidizes, heat is released. If the heat is not dissipated, it can build up and ignite the rags. Special oily-waste cans should be used to store oil-soaked rags. These containers allow air to flow around the rags, thus dissipating the heat. The waste cans should not have plastic liners and they should be emptied daily.

Solvent-soaked rags are not a spontaneous combustion hazard but may be a fire hazard, since many solvents are flammable. In addition, the solvents can evaporate creating a health hazard. Solvent-soaked rags should be placed in closed containers to reduce evaporation and minimize the chance of someone tossing a lit cigarette onto the rags and causing a fire. The container should be emptied daily and the solvent should be allowed to evaporate outside.

In other words, storing grease rags without adequate ventilation can cause them to catch on fire, simply from the heat caused by the chemical reaction. VENTILATION is the key, folks!!! Y'all be safe!!