Paulding.com

Why would anyone want to run for public office?

I do not post much because I was tired of being trashed every time it did. But, here goes.

I was elected for 3 terms on the BOE and in those 12 years I only missed 3 meetings. I have never been arrested, have been married for 40 years to the same Great Guy, raised 2 wonderful sons, and have twin grandsons. With all of that I am sure there are people who post on this site that would try and dig up dirt on me. Yes, I voted for tax increases while on the BOE. But there were time I voted no. The tax increases were because with the growing county system there was a need for more money. My family pay every single one of those increases just as everyone else did. With in the first 5 years of being on the BOE our school system doubled. There was no way our school system could ever build enough schools to keep up with the growth. More students mean more classroom {even mobiles, more teachers, buses, support staff, just more of everything. As long as more people wanted to live in Paulding Co. there was going to be a need for [More] for the school system. That is why there was a need for the tax increases. When asked why did we build a new gym at PCHS, well being that the old gym was built in the 60's and was in really bad shape it was only equitable that they have a gym as nice as the new schools. When we bring up being equitable that is why I voted for the auditoriums. Why should students of the arts and music not share in the monies spent on our schools. Every school had football fields and so many other sports fields but no where for the performing arts. The auditoriums could also be used for so many other things. Myself I voted against new football fields, my thinking was why did not the high schools share and there for we only needed maybe two. The money saved could have gone to more classrooms. The reason the county got a new facility for the BOE offices were because the old building was built in the 60's when the system had less than 3,500 students. Get real the employees of out system had to have a place to work. The school system got a building that was a repo from the bank and had the building redone. We worked hard to make sure we were getting the biggest bang for the buck, it was our tax money too.

What I am trying to say is no matter how much time I put into being a board member, time away from my family,work and it sure was not for the money, there will always be people who will try and find things I did wrong. Well, no one is right every time. We are all human.

Vicki Lacey

Thanks for the insight, Vicky. You're right, we haven't been in your shoes. It would stand to reason that if the families doubled in size, so would the tax income. On the other hand, new buildings cost beyond what even that revenue would cover.

I hate that they did all the new fields/bang-up auditoriums and then pulled jr. high sports. My memory is not the best but I recall part of the justification being that the middle schools would have access as well. Even still, our middle school raised around $30K to pay for their own baseball fiels. Wonder where that $ went. :angry:

One question: Is the board typically pressured into voting whatever the super recommends? I got the impression that the budget was handed down by the super with all the decisions made by him. Seems that the board wasn't really involved, other than being pressured to vote with the super's budget. Is this incorrect? I'm pretty sure there were board members that felt that way. If so, we really have no voice whatsoever, since we don't even vote the super in. And what could the super do that would intimidate a board member to vote his/her way? Just curious if this is really the case.

The board members are elected, they in turn pick the super. When I first got on the board the super was elected. I sure was glad when it was changed. When the super was elected anyone could run even if the had no background in education or business. I hate to say this but running our school system is running a very large business. The board members are able to pick the super from the people who apply for the job. We always worked had to try and pick the best person for the job. The super worked for the board and made recommendations to the board. There were a couple of times when I did not vote for those recommendations. The super makes day to day decisions for the school system. The boards job is to set policies that run the school. The way we get our super now is by far the best way.

I do not post much because I was tired of being trashed every time it did. But, here goes.

I was elected for 3 terms on the BOE and in those 12 years I only missed 3 meetings. I have never been arrested, have been married for 40 years to the same Great Guy, raised 2 wonderful sons, and have twin grandsons. With all of that I am sure there are people who post on this site that would try and dig up dirt on me. Yes, I voted for tax increases while on the BOE. But there were time I voted no. The tax increases were because with the growing county system there was a need for more money. My family pay every single one of those increases just as everyone else did. With in the first 5 years of being on the BOE our school system doubled. There was no way our school system could ever build enough schools to keep up with the growth. More students mean more classroom {even mobiles, more teachers, buses, support staff, just more of everything. As long as more people wanted to live in Paulding Co. there was going to be a need for [More] for the school system. That is why there was a need for the tax increases. When asked why did we build a new gym at PCHS, well being that the old gym was built in the 60's and was in really bad shape it was only equitable that they have a gym as nice as the new schools. When we bring up being equitable that is why I voted for the auditoriums. Why should students of the arts and music not share in the monies spent on our schools. Every school had football fields and so many other sports fields but no where for the performing arts. The auditoriums could also be used for so many other things. Myself I voted against new football fields, my thinking was why did not the high schools share and there for we only needed maybe two. The money saved could have gone to more classrooms. The reason the county got a new facility for the BOE offices were because the old building was built in the 60's when the system had less than 3,500 students. Get real the employees of out system had to have a place to work. The school system got a building that was a repo from the bank and had the building redone. We worked hard to make sure we were getting the biggest bang for the buck, it was our tax money too.

What I am trying to say is no matter how much time I put into being a board member, time away from my family,work and it sure was not for the money, there will always be people who will try and find things I did wrong. Well, no one is right every time. We are all human.

Vicki Lacey

All most of us ask for is honesty. If you voted for tax increase don't say you didn't. That's when it becomes a lie and most intelligent people neither like or trust a liar.

The board members are elected, they in turn pick the super. When I first got on the board the super was elected. I sure was glad when it was changed. When the super was elected anyone could run even if the had no background in education or business. I hate to say this but running our school system is running a very large business.

Wow, I can imagine what a mess we would have been in with an elected Super. I agree, the PC School system is a HUGE business with 30+ locations and a huge budget. Not something for an amateur to run.

All most of us ask for is honesty. If you voted for tax increase don't say you didn't. That's when it becomes a lie and most intelligent people neither like or trust a liar.

I couldn't agree more. I applaud the OP for her service to the county, and I know it did take a lot of effort. I also appreciate your honest in the original post. Honesty I can deal with even if I don't agree (and actually I value honesty above most every other characteristic). Stupidity and dishonesty I cannot tolerate.