Paulding.com

I know that we are all concerned with our children riding to and from school on the hot bus myself included. Lets not forget that our drivers are on the bus for several hours and the older buses have the engine compartment right beside the driver, and as a former driver myself I can tell you that it gets really, really hot on there. If you are home when your driver comes by maybe you could offer them a bottle of water. I know that it will be appreciated.

I saw earlier that Cobb issued an advisory stating k-12 students are allowed to bring water on the bus during the PM ride. The first think I thought of was the poor bus drivers and the messes they will have to clean up. Can't you just imagine the daily after school water fight on the buses!!

Poor drivers -- Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I saw earlier that Cobb issued an advisory stating k-12 students are allowed to bring water on the bus during the PM ride. The first think I thought of was the poor bus drivers and the messes they will have to clean up. Can't you just imagine the daily after school water fight on the buses!!

I just logged in to post that info about Cobb County.

Now for the children, they may survive no longer than they are on the buses. I'm not sure about middle/high, but elementary routes are normally at the longest around 30-40 minutes, right?

Pft......... in this heat there will be nothing to clean up. The water will evaporate on contact!!! :blink:

I do hope all the drivers and students drink a lot on their routes. I have an air conditioned car and driving home today was brutal.

I just logged in to post that info about Cobb County.

Now for the children, they may survive no longer than they are on the buses. I'm not sure about middle/high, but elementary routes are normally at the longest around 30-40 minutes, right?

My middle schoolers were on for an hour last year. Originally, they were dropped off first and everything was great. There was a group that gave the driver a horendous amount of trouble so she had the route reversed and they would get dropped off first so she didn't have to deal with them as long. The bad kids got what they wanted and the good kids got rewarded with an hour long bus ride. Wasn't that nice? Now, thinking of them on that same route with the same kids all locked and loaded with their water blasters makes me want to just give in and drive them.

Cleaning up the water wasn't a big deal it was the soft drinks that left everything sticky. I know that I averaged being on my bus about 5 hours each day. I had routes that were close to the schools or in subdivisions where lots of the kids would get off the bus within a short period of time so they weren't on the bus for very long. If they are sitting 2 and 3 to a seat it is still very hot. Just remind them to throw the empty bottles in the trash or put them in their bags.

Please don't forget the lunch ladies either. Some of the older kitchens don't have ANY air..and let me tell you, even with air...standing in front of 6 super ovens it gets hotter than you know where. Then standing over the steam table to serve all the kids is ALMOST unbearable. I'm soooo looking foward to even a small break in this terrible heat.