Paulding.com

County Woes, Candidates, & Citizens Responsibilities

I posted this info in the "Theres No Money .... WOW" Topic just now, but thought it was something that could use it's own topic.

To tie together the BOE and the Commissioner meetings - the lack of funding, and the financial crisis. It's a good time to realize how very important our choices are during the elections. I think I'm like most citizens. Only a handful - some that I see on here - actually take the time to really learn and make an educated decision when it comes to local offices. I'm guilty - until this year. I hope we can encourage all of our friends and neighbors to take the time to learn about the candidates that impact how our taxes are spent.

Here's my post from the other topic:

I am 40 this year, and until last year I had NO clue how much we should care and learn about the people running for office in the county. I always cared about Senator, Congressman, Governor, & President. But the local Board of Education members control 70% of the taxes the county receives, and the Commissioners control the rest.

The Board of Education candidates that put their name in the hat are running UNOPPOSED! We have no choice. That is our fault for not running for office ourselves or encouraging people that we know would be an asset to run for office.

I have never tried to research or understand what these candidates stand for, how they feel about the major decisions they will make, etc. until this past year when I joined the Republican Party and started attending meetings. That's why now that I know more about the process, I'm supporting Beverly Cochran in Post 2 this year. NOW DON'T HIJACK THIS AND MAKE IT ABOUT THE PARTY.....LOL. I'm just saying you can get a lot of good information if you want it by attending meetings or joining - Just like we get good information here at P'Com.

There will be several chances for citizens to get out and meet the various posts commissioner, DA, & State Representative candidates. I encourage everyone to check the Dallas paper and watch for notices of these events (debate, meet & greet at White Oak Park, party meetings). At the next 3 Republican Party meetings local candidates will be there and have the chance to speak (it will take 3 months to get through the full list of candidates). The meetings are held the 3rd Saturday of each month at 9 am at GOP Headquarters off of 278 at Seabord Drive.

Not sure if we can investigate the candidates for school board, and write in candidates if these are poor choices, but we really need to take ownership of these voting opportunities. Best of luck to everyone as you prepare for voting in the primary. Voting starts in June.

~sigh~ the move <_< ....anyhow..Details of the Republican Meet and Greet coming soon. We have the date, location and time. We are working to get as many candidates to this event as humanly possible. Dallas paper isn't the only place for information as well.

Also, the precincts have changed this year from 28 to 14 and most(not all) will be in a different precinct.

I posted this info in the "Theres No Money .... WOW" Topic just now, but thought it was something that could use it's own topic.

To tie together the BOE and the Commissioner meetings - the lack of funding, and the financial crisis. It's a good time to realize how very important our choices are during the elections. I think I'm like most citizens. Only a handful - some that I see on here - actually take the time to really learn and make an educated decision when it comes to local offices. I'm guilty - until this year. I hope we can encourage all of our friends and neighbors to take the time to learn about the candidates that impact how our taxes are spent.

Here's my post from the other topic:

I am 40 this year, and until last year I had NO clue how much we should care and learn about the people running for office in the county. I always cared about Senator, Congressman, Governor, & President. But the local Board of Education members control 70% of the taxes the county receives, and the Commissioners control the rest.

The Board of Education candidates that put their name in the hat are running UNOPPOSED! We have no choice. That is our fault for not running for office ourselves or encouraging people that we know would be an asset to run for office.

I have never tried to research or understand what these candidates stand for, how they feel about the major decisions they will make, etc. until this past year when I joined the Republican Party and started attending meetings. That's why now that I know more about the process, I'm supporting Beverly Cochran in Post 2 this year. NOW DON'T HIJACK THIS AND MAKE IT ABOUT THE PARTY.....LOL. I'm just saying you can get a lot of good information if you want it by attending meetings or joining - Just like we get good information here at P'Com.

I felt the same way a few years ago when I started researching the candidates and getting out to meet them. I am still shocked that more people do not step up to run for these offices. In my opinion we need the folks who feel called to do this for the good of the country or the state, or the county. We can do a lot of complaining about what they do once they are in office but if we aren't happy with their performance we need to get out and look for folks who will step up and try to do it better. We could even run ourselves as 'MEvans has suggested. I am still amazed at the lack of interest in the election process and in finding out about the candidates who will run this county.

I felt the same way a few years ago when I started researching the candidates and getting out to meet them. I am still shocked that more people do not step up to run for these offices. In my opinion we need the folks who feel called to do this for the good of the country or the state, or the county. We can do a lot of complaining about what they do once they are in office but if we aren't happy with their performance we need to get out and look for folks who will step up and try to do it better. We could even run ourselves as 'MEvans has suggested. I am still amazed at the lack of interest in the election process and in finding out about the candidates who will run this county.

The good people who can do the job will not run for an office because they are afraid to get their name smeared or threats against them because someone will always disagree with how they do things. It's a no win situation. Few people have a thick enough skin to hold a public office!

The good people who can do the job will not run for an office because they are afraid to get their name smeared or threats against them because someone will always disagree with how they do things. It's a no win situation. Few people have a thick enough skin to hold a public office!

You are right of course. I still find it amazing that all these folks (BOE) had to do was show up, pay a qualifying fee, and they walk into the office. There is something wrong with that picture.sad.gif

Just a reminder that there are people immensely interested in serving, but who simply cannot afford to do so.

You are right of course. I still find it amazing that all these folks (BOE) had to do was show up, pay a qualifying fee, and they walk into the office. There is something wrong with that picture.sad.gif

My district seat wasn't running this year.

I agree. JMT also brings up a good point, most people cannot afford to take a paycut to hold a public office, at least on a local level.

Just a reminder that there are people immensely interested in serving, but who simply cannot afford to do so.

You are correct, JMT, as I have wanted to but cannot afford to do so. Even if I wanted to run for a state rep or sen, I could not live on $17000/year. I spoke to someone the other night about that. Either you have a ton of cash, own a business or whatnot, one really had no chance to take on such a position.

The most common thing I here when it comes to politics is the educational background of the canidate. Well we should all be able to look at where the educational concern has brought us. Give me someone qualified, someone that has actually had to work for a living, and had to make ends meet with limited funds. Someone who can apply simple logic, durived from common sense without over complicating the issue. This is only the begining of things to come, education will secondary to our families need. The people that are lucky enough to be born into a business or atleast into money seem to be the only people with time and schedules to run for public offices. Most of the right people are simply too busy working for a living. But hell you can look at our government as a whole and tell that few really GOOD people get envolved with politics. Besides

America both locally and as a nation, have lost it's ability to move forward. Too many different people with too many different priorities and no common direction. And thanks to standardized education they all know the same thing, so there are few original ideas. But atleast they all know how to text.

The most common thing I here when it comes to politics is the educational background of the canidate. Well we should all be able to look at where the educational concern has brought us. Give me someone qualified, someone that has actually had to work for a living, and had to make ends meet with limited funds. Someone who can apply simple logic, durived from common sense without over complicating the issue. This is only the begining of things to come, education will secondary to our families need. The people that are lucky enough to be born into a business or atleast into money seem to be the only people with time and schedules to run for public offices. Most of the right people are simply too busy working for a living. But hell you can look at our government as a whole and tell that few really GOOD people get envolved with politics. Besides

America both locally and as a nation, have lost it's ability to move forward. Too many different people with too many different priorities and no common direction. And thanks to standardized education they all know the same thing, so there are few original ideas. But atleast they all know how to text.

You are talking about educational concerns. You used the word here when it should be HEAR.

^ What he said. Even the thought of the cost of running made me shutter, that doesn't even take into account the pay decrease when you are in office and the time you have to dedicate to the job to do it right. The system is VARY flawed and is really what prevents good folks from seeking office so we get what we have now.

Edited by MotorCity MadMan

^ What he said. Even the thought of the cost of running made me shutter.

It is not going to cost the BOE candidates anything except the qualifying fee. No opposition. I think what JMT is speaking of is the time off from work to go and serve. I think the Legislature is in session for at least 47 days. Even school board requires a lot of meetings. It is the time away from work that some can't afford.

In essence they are paid the $17k for 3-1/2 months of part time work, plus living expenses from mid-January until the end of April.

It requires someone who is either wealthy/self sufficient, or who has a business which they can run by phone/email part time.

And I have to assume some of them take the job for what they can rape and pillage, not the paycheck.

It is not going to cost the BOE candidates anything except the qualifying fee. No opposition. I think what JMT is speaking of is the time off from work to go and serve. I think the Legislature is in session for at least 47 days. Even school board requires a lot of meetings. It is the time away from work that some can't afford.

NJ nailed it.

NJ nailed it.

See my edit, NJ is quick on the button.

However, to run for office where you are opposed cost more then a lot of people have. That is why Jerry and crew were able to run away with it for so long locally and so many others on the national scene are able to just outspend their opponents. The time away from work etc is the other major issue.

See my edit, NJ is quick on the button.

However, to run for office where you are opposed cost more then a lot of people have. That is why Jerry and crew were able to run away with it for so long locally and so many others on the national scene are able to just outspend their opponents. The time away from work etc is the other major issue.

You are correct. I know a candidate who just dropped out of the race for State School Superintendent because he did not want to spend his savings to run the race against Kathy Cox. He is a great guy and a very qualified candidate. sad.gif

I could afford to run. I would run on donations and popular support. I would not personally finance debt in order to run for office.

So for me, running isn't the problem. WINNING is the problem. You are now ready to serve, but if you are running your own business and you are the product... your family is going to be pretty hungry while you're down at the Capitol voting.

Sigh.

I could afford to run. I would run on donations and popular support. I would not personally finance debt in order to run for office.

So for me, running isn't the problem. WINNING is the problem. You are now ready to serve, but if you are running your own business and you are the product... your family is going to be pretty hungry while you're down at the Capitol voting.

Sigh.

I think he would have gotten all of that too. But he did not want to risk it.sad.gif I can't blame him either.

So herein lies our problem, as mentioned in all the above posts. No money to run, can't afford the paycut from your normal line of work if you do run.

Maybe some older/semi-retired candidates would be good!

Good, dedicated people probably can't afford to run. We get what we get by the ones the choose to qualify.

I suppose there is no good answer, but maybe that we hold the ones that do run accountable to us, the voters. We demand responses and respect.

Prayers to the candidates and to the voters as we decipher through the options we do have.

<br />You are talking about educational concerns. You used the word here when it should be HEAR.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We don't worry about that HEAR!! Or maybe that is HERE but we know what the poster meant and that is what counts HERE! laugh.gif LOL

You are correct. I know a candidate who just dropped out of the race for State School Superintendent because he did not want to spend his savings to run the race against Kathy Cox. He is a great guy and a very qualified candidate. sad.gif

I know. :( He was going to get my vote too.