Paulding.com

I think it's very sad that a 14 year old child thinks the only way to solve his problems is to commit suicide. I hope he gets the help he so desperately needs, my heart goes out to him, that's gotta be a lonely place to be. God Bless him and his family.

I say lets add another week off to the school schedule!

I would bet ya, if he were in school, he wouldn't be disorderly or doing this BS

I agree. I think this winter break is non-sense. I think Christmas and Spring break is plenty time off.

I agree..... This school schedule is bs!

If you were in the classroom with these kids you guys would be able to see just how important the break is for students AND teachers! I'll agree that it may not need to be a week long, but there NEEDS to be a break between Christmas and Spring Break.

Obviously this kid has problems and needs help. What if he were at school when this happened? What if the teacher was so over-worked and stressed that she/he didn't hear the student make the threat of suicide? Or what if the kid made the threat to another student who didn't take him seriously and report it?

:rolleyes:

Yeah. The school break is why a 14yo threatened suicide. It has nothing to do with the relationship between him and his family. Or anything to do with control. It is all the break!

Exactly.

Of course why not blame the school system. It's all their fault.

Of course if there were no break and the kid did that, I would be because of that.

Face it people, it takes a parent to raise a child not the school system.

I am doing my best to raise respectable, decent, educated, and loving adults.

So far so good. It started when they were little. I didn't wait until they were teenagers to start laying down the rules of life so they could rebel on them.

Please let me have my opinion without the bashing. I don't post on here much because people aren't allowed to voice opinions openly but this struck a nerve when it is blamed on the school system.

As a teacher in metro Atlanta, I want to thank and commend you on trying to raise decent children. The toughest part of being a teacher is trying to educate kids who have not been properly raised. I see so many children who are neglected it makes me sad. On the other end of the spectrum, I have children who have been spoiled, babied and coddled and this is as bad a neglecting a child.

Teachers and students get substantial vacation time, but after becoming a teacher, I realize why. You are dealing with 20-30 different personalities in each room, students of varying abilities, and levels of respect for adults. Fifty percent of teachers quit within the first 5 years and the main reasons are lack of respect and low pay. If people spent a week in a teachers' shoes, they would realize how difficult this job is. If this child was suicidal, there is a good chance he would have been overlooked, and the school would be blamed. Working in another state, I had a student come out as a homosexual. He was anxious and depressed about the abuse he was receiving from other students. I approached the school counselor about the situation and was told, How do you know? How does he know? I had a child reach out to me for help, and none was given. I tried my best to help this child and hope he is okay. I am rambling, but I urge all parents to talk to their children, no matter how difficult it is at times, because you are the first line of defense in helping your child. If you can't handle a situation, get outside help, not a school counselor. Counselors, are overworked, and unqualified to help with major issues a child may be having. Anyway, thank you for trying to do the right thing, it makes my job easier.

As a teacher in metro Atlanta, I want to thank and commend you on trying to raise decent children. The toughest part of being a teacher is trying to educate kids who have not been properly raised. I see so many children who are neglected it makes me sad. On the other end of the spectrum, I have children who have been spoiled, babied and coddled and this is as bad a neglecting a child.

Teachers and students get substantial vacation time, but after becoming a teacher, I realize why. You are dealing with 20-30 different personalities in each room, students of varying abilities, and levels of respect for adults. Fifty percent of teachers quit within the first 5 years and the main reasons are lack of respect and low pay. If people spent a week in a teachers' shoes, they would realize how difficult this job is. If this child was suicidal, there is a good chance he would have been overlooked, and the school would be blamed. Working in another state, I had a student come out as a homosexual. He was anxious and depressed about the abuse he was receiving from other students. I approached the school counselor about the situation and was told, How do you know? How does he know? I had a child reach out to me for help, and none was given. I tried my best to help this child and hope he is okay. I am rambling, but I urge all parents to talk to their children, no matter how difficult it is at times, because you are the first line of defense in helping your child. If you can't handle a situation, get outside help, not a school counselor. Counselors, are overworked, and unqualified to help with major issues a child may be having. Anyway, thank you for trying to do the right thing, it makes my job easier.

I just feel that parents should be held accountable-not the public school system-on how their children are raised.

It is sad that you have to take classes to drive, be trained to wait tables, stock shelves, run a cash register, etc.... but we are not required to take parenting classes. I am scared for what kind of kids this world is holding. Some are good, but some are not. The ones that are not good, scare the heck out of me. And the ones that are bad...........the parents are even worse. I want my kids to grow up and be responsible adults. When they have kids, I want them to think of me as a role model on how they will raise my grandkids.

I had a rotten childhood. I chose to make my life different when I was old enough to make that choice. I broke the cycle. I had that choice. We all have that choice to change what is bad in our lives.

I hope this child that tried to hurt himself will be okay.