Paulding.com

Does Paulding have a Cat Problem? Alley Cat Allies to present to BOC

The Board of Commissioners Will Hold a Public Meeting on June 18, 2014

The Paulding County Board of Commissioners will hold a public meeting to hear a presentation by Ms. Liz Holtz, Staff Attorney for Alley Cat Allies. She researches policy Issues, and advises local governments on drafting legislation.

The Board of Commissioners and staff will meet with Ms. Holtz at 2:30 PM in the BOC Conference Room, located on the 2nd Floor of the Paulding County Administration Building, Watson Government Complex, 240 Constitution Blvd, Dallas, Georgia 30132. The public is invited to attend; however, there will be no public participation.

Ms. Holtz will make her presentation to the public at 6:00 PM in the cafeteria located on the 1st Floor of the Paulding County Administration Building, Watson Government Complex, 240 Constitution Blvd, Dallas, Georgia 30132. The public is invited to attend and ask questions/comment.

Elizabeth Holtz, Alley Cat Allies staff attorney, researches policy issues surrounding cats and advises local governments on drafting positive legislation. In 2013, Holtz published “Trap-Neuter-Return Ordinances and Policies in the United States: The Future of Animal Control,” the first comprehensive study of its kind. Holtz also frequently speaks to community groups and shelters about implementing TNR in their communities and helps shelters adopt policies that save cats’ lives. She has a long history of animal protection activism. Prior to joining Alley Cat Allies, she worked with organizations such as Compassion Over Killing, the Animal Legal Defense Fund, and the Nonhuman Rights Project. Holtz holds a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center.

I understand that the shelter has had a lot of animals dropped off during the recession, but wild cats are believed to be one of the major killers of native song birds in the US. Returning an invasive species to the wild to continue to disrupt the local ecosystem by killing off native species does not seem to me to a valid solution.

Thoughts?

On another note, this was worth calling a special meeting of the BOC?

• Like 1

I understand that the shelter has had a lot of animals dropped off during the recession, but wild cats are believed to be one of the major killers of native song birds in the US. Returning an invasive species to the wild to continue to disrupt the local ecosystem by killing off native species does not seem to me to a valid solution.

Thoughts?

It should be against the law.What a waste of money and time.I shoot every feral cat I see.

There is a theory that the bubonic plague was brought about because of a lack of feral cats. For awhile cats were believed to be the spawn of evil and to be killed on sight. Which allowed the rodent population to explode and therefore infest Europe with fleas and spread the disease.

I have seen several cats wandering the area and as long as they don't decide to take up residence here and keep killing the field mice, chipmunks and other small critters, I will let them be.

• Like 1

There is a theory that the bubonic plague was brought about because of a lack of feral cats. For awhile cats were believed to be the spawn of evil and to be killed on sight. Which allowed the rodent population to explode and therefore infest Europe with fleas and spread the disease.

I have seen several cats wandering the area and as long as they don't decide to take up residence here and keep killing the field mice, chipmunks and other small critters, I will let them be.

It should be against the law.What a waste of money and time.I shoot every feral cat I see.

Are there any animals you don't shoot and kill?

The problem is when these feral cats are left to multiply. If fixed and in moderation they can be very beneficial in pest control of especially rats and snakes.

Animal control intakes, houses and then kills hundreds of feral cats each year. It is costly.

SG, this isn't a new problem. The recession has made it worse, but it has been a big problem for a long time. Spaying and neutering your pets would save everyone a lot of money, time and trouble.

Edited by Paulding Humane Society
  • Like 1

Are there any animals you don't shoot and kill?

Yep,non-venomous snakes.I actually bring them home and release them in the yard.....They keep the rodents in check and don't walk on my truck.......If I see a nice fat rattlesnake,mm mmm.....the other white meat.