Paulding.com

Hiram to get new alcohol breath testing machines

From the release:

Hiram, Georgia- June 5, 2014 - The City of Hiram, Hiram Police Department, is pleased to announce that it has been awarded an $8,000.00 grant from the Georgia Governors Office of Highway Safety (GOHS).

The number one goal of the GOHS is to reduce the number of fatalities and injuries and provide highway safety date and fact based analyses that will assist communities and safety advocates in implementing effective programs that will change high-risk driving behavior and increase safety on the streets and highways.

The grant, which will run through September 2014, will fund 100% of the purchase price for an Inoxilyzer 9000. The Intoxilyzer 9000 is the instrument used by law enforcement agencies to obtain the evidence law prosecutors need to successfully prosecute individuals arrested for Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol.

The Governors Office of Highway Safety is committed to keeping everyone safe on our roads and highways, from the smallest precious cargo to the most seasoned drivers, said GOHS Director Harris Blackwood. The grant will help the Hiram Police Department reduce crashes, injuries, and fatalities on Georgia roadways, continued Blackwood.

I am very grateful to GOHS for providing us with this funding opportunity. Their support of local law enforcement enables us to have the resources we need to ensure our traffic safety initiatives are effective, said Hiram Police Chief Todd A. Vande Zande. We take impaired driving seriously and this resource will prove invaluable to us in our efforts to detect and prosecute violators, continued VandeZande.

For more information on GOHS and its highway safety programs, visit www.gahighwaysafety.org.

Will this be used at the station or in a Patrol Car?

This is the unit they will use in the station.

The portable units they use in the patrol car are only used to help the officer to determine probable cause for an arrest,

along with regular physical field sobriety tests.

Once you take the field tests, if the officer has reasonable suspicion that you are intoxicated,

they take you to the station and run you on this machine.... This machine is court admissible evidence of BAC.

This is the unit they will use in the station.

The portable units they use in the patrol car are only used to help the officer to determine probable cause for an arrest,

along with regular physical field sobriety tests.

Once you take the field tests, if the officer has reasonable suspicion that you are intoxicated,

they take you to the station and run you on this machine.... This machine is court admissible evidence of BAC.

Nitro,

I had a serious question for you in the how many must die from drug raids thread.

Thanks,

stradial

• Like 1

It's a shame P.com doesn't have a breathalyzer installed on a certain poster's keyboard.

While at first I took offense at your comment, I did some self evaluation and came to the conclusion I should stop commenting by typing on my phone while logged onto Pcom when driving.

Hopefully the roads in East Paulding will be a little safer now as a result of your comment.