Paulding.com

I Mixed Bleach and Ammonia To Clean My Kitchen...

...I watched it start to fizzle and eat away at the Formica and though 'Hmmm... probably shouldn't have done that.' Had I browsed a bit more carefully through our Science section, here, at the store, I might have figured that out a bit earlier!

Science&Nature Section are 25% off today!

Don't forget; Children's Literature today from 2-4 with Annette Laing and Vanessa Lee, as well as some southern cuisine with Kennesaw Taylor, 12-2!

Really... it's going to rain today; bring the kids out and enjoy some shiny, happy books!

See you soon!

My wife was cleaning the toilet one day using Bleach and Drano......................Luckily I walked in in time to find her.

She ws laying on the floor not breathing. Dragger her out by the feet and gave her a few mouth to mouth and she came around right away. Sat her down and read her the directions on the panEL on the Drano can that said DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH, PRODUCES CHLORINE GAS. That was 37 years ago. Shes still around.

...I watched it start to fizzle and eat away at the Formica and though 'Hmmm... probably shouldn't have done that.' Had I browsed a bit more carefully through our Science section, here, at the store, I might have figured that out a bit earlier!

Science&Nature Section are 25% off today!

Don't forget; Children's Literature today from 2-4 with Annette Laing and Vanessa Lee, as well as some southern cuisine with Kennesaw Taylor, 12-2!

Really... it's going to rain today; bring the kids out and enjoy some shiny, happy books!

See you soon!

An older woman where I used to live died after she mixed the two:

Why You Shouldn't Mix Bleach and Ammonia

Aug 20, 2010 ... Mixing bleach with ammonia is a bad plan because it ...

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2010/08/20/why-you-shouldnt-mix-bleach-and-ammonia-bleach-and-ammonia-chemical-reactions.htm

About 6 yrs ago DS was helping a friend clean her house. He mixed bleach and ammonia together - thinking "if one cleaner does a good job then two will do even better." It was taking his breath away and he'd walk outside to get some clean air and return to the bathroom to clean some more. His eyes and throat were burning. They had enough sense to call Poison Control because it got so bad. They instructed him to go to the ER immediately. He came home and we took him to Kennestone (at the time they had a pediatric ER) and when we walked in the door they asked if his name was Wade? Poison Control had called them in advance to let them know he would be coming and the ER staff took him right back. (And they told us if we had not taken him in that Poison Control would have called DFCS to come to the house that night!) He ended up having to have his eyes irrigated and several breathing treatments. They said it was nothing short of a miracle that he did not lose his ability to sing!! We spent the entire night in the ER but he did eventually recover.

People acted like I was stupid and a terrible mother when asking "hadn't you told him not to mix bleach and ammonia?" My response was "NO. We do not have ammonia in the house because it is to dangerous so there was never a reason to discuss it."

Household bleach is 5% sodium hypochlorite. Mix it with ammonia and mono- and di-chloramines are formed. These nasty fellows will cause lovely symptoms such as respiratory tract irritation, tearing, and nausea. To make things better, add water to get hydrochloric acid and nascent oxygen- also known as chlorine gas, the chemical weapon of choice of Nazi Germany in World War II- for the added bonus of drowning in your own fluids!

My wife was cleaning the toilet one day using Bleach and Drano......................Luckily I walked in in time to find her.

She ws laying on the floor not breathing. Dragger her out by the feet and gave her a few mouth to mouth and she came around right away. Sat her down and read her the directions on the panEL on the Drano can that said DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH, PRODUCES CHLORINE GAS. That was 37 years ago. Shes still around.

Yes, I learned that at around 8 years old when my mother did that and almost killed all of us. The firemen who came told us that and I have never forgotten!!!!!!