Paulding.com

So tell us, How are you going to vote

Things Change ... has your vote changed?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Voters are being asked to renew the SPLOST (one cent sales tax). How are you leaning?

• For
    • Against
    • Undecided
  2. 2. District 19 House of Reps

• Will Avery (D)
    • Paulette Braddock ®
    • Outside the district and can't vote/won't vote
  3. 3. Georgia Governor

• John Monds (L)
    • Nathan Deal ®
    • Roy Barnes (D)
    • Won't vote in this race
  4. 4. Lt. Governor

• Casey Cagel ®
    • Dan Barber (L)
    • Carol Porter (D)
    • undecided
  5. 5. US Senate

• Michael Thurmond (D)
    • Johnny Isakson ®
    • Chuck Donnovan (L)
    • undecided
  6. 6. Senate District 31

• Tracy Bennett (D)
    • Bill Heath ®
  7. 7. Senate District 30

• Pat Rhudy (D)
    • Bill Hamrick ®
  8. 8. Have you voted early?

• I have already voted
    • I haven't voted yet but will vote early
    • I'm waiting until election day because ... well things happen and people aren't always what we thought.
    • I plan to vote on election day
    • I don't plan to vote at all.

You better get that in writing. I have NEVER seen a tax or a toll go down.

If a project/line item/etc is not a part of the referendum (exactly what it is being used for), then they can't use the money.

They can't say, "I want new computers for Paulding County High School" and get the money after the referendum has been voted/approved. If the money is misused, we have the right to sue the Board for misappropriations of funds.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding the confusion on the E-SPLOST on the ballot next month, a little clarification on what the money can be used for and any "excess" per the Georgia Constitution:

Article VIII. Section VI. Paragraph IV.

Sales tax for educational purposes. (a) The board of education of each school district in a county in which no independent school district is located may by resolution and the board of education of each county school district and the board of education of each independent school district located within such county may by concurrent resolutions impose, levy, and collect a sales and use tax for educational purposes of such school districts conditioned upon approval by a majority of the qualified voters residing within the limits of the local taxing jurisdiction voting in a referendum thereon. This tax shall be at the rate of 1 percent and shall be imposed for a period of time not to exceed five years, but in all other respects, except as otherwise provided in this Paragraph, shall correspond to and be levied in the same manner as the tax provided for by Article 3 of Chapter 8 of Title 48 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to the special county 1 percent sales and use tax, as now or hereafter amended. Proceedings for the reimposition of such tax shall be in the same manner as proceedings for the initial imposition of the tax, but the newly authorized tax shall not be imposed until the expiration of the tax then in effect.

( B ) The purpose or purposes for which the proceeds of the tax are to be used and may be expended include:

(1) Capital outlay projects for educational purposes;

(2) The retirement of previously incurred general obligation debt with respect only to capital outlay projects of the school system; provided, however, that the tax authorized under this Paragraph shall only be expended for the purpose authorized under this subparagraph ( B )(2) if all ad valorem property taxes levied or scheduled to be levied prior to the maturity of any such then outstanding general obligation debt to be retired by the proceeds of the tax imposed under this Paragraph shall be reduced by a total amount equal to the total amount of proceeds of the tax imposed under this Paragraph to be applied to retire such bonded indebtedness. In the event of failure to comply with the requirements of this subparagraph ( B )(2), as certified by the Department of Revenue, no further funds shall be expended under this subparagraph ( B )(2) by such county or independent board of education and all such funds shall be maintained in a separate, restricted account and held solely for the expenditure for future capital outlay projects for educational purposes; or

(3) A combination of the foregoing.

( c ) The resolution calling for the imposition of the tax and the ballot question shall each describe:

(1) The specific capital outlay projects to be funded, or the specific debt to be retired, or both, if applicable;

(2) The maximum cost of such project or projects and, if applicable, the maximum amount of debt to be retired, which cost and amount of debt shall also be the maximum amount of net proceeds to be raised by the tax; and

(3) The maximum period of time, to be stated in calendar years or calendar quarters and not to exceed five years.

(d) Nothing in this Paragraph shall prohibit a county and those municipalities located in such county from imposing as additional taxes local sales and use taxes authorized by general law.

(e) The tax imposed pursuant to this Paragraph shall not be subject to and shall not count with respect to any general law limitation regarding the maximum amount of local sales and use taxes which may be levied in any jurisdiction in this state.

(f) The tax imposed pursuant to this Paragraph shall not be subject to any sales and use tax exemption with respect to the sale or use of food and beverages which is imposed by law.

(g) The net proceeds of the tax shall be distributed between the county school district and the independent school districts, or portion thereof, located in such county according to the ratio the student enrollment in each school district, or portion thereof, bears to the total student enrollment of all school districts in the county or upon such other formula for distribution as may be authorized by local law. For purposes of this subparagraph, student enrollment shall be based on the latest FTE count prior to the referendum on imposing the tax.

(h) Excess proceeds of the tax which remain following expenditure of proceeds for authorized projects or purposes for education shall be used solely for the purpose of reducing any indebtedness of the school system. In the event there is no indebtedness, such excess proceeds shall be used by such school system for the purpose of reducing its millage rate in an amount equivalent to the amount of such excess proceeds.

(i) The tax authorized by this Paragraph may be imposed, levied, and collected as provided in this Paragraph without further action by the General Assembly, but the General Assembly shall be authorized by general law to further define and implement its provisions including, but not limited to, the authority to specify the percentage of net proceeds to be allocated among the projects and purposes for which the tax was levied.

(j)(1) Notwithstanding any provision of any constitutional amendment continued in force and effect pursuant to Article XI, Section I, Paragraph IV(a) and except as otherwise provided in subparagraph (j)(2) of this Paragraph, any political subdivision whose ad valorem taxing powers are restricted pursuant to such a constitutional amendment may receive the proceeds of the tax authorized under this Paragraph or of any local sales and use tax authorized by general law, or any combination of such taxes, without any corresponding limitation of its ad valorem taxing powers which would otherwise be required under such constitutional amendment.

(2) The restriction on and limitation of ad valorem taxing powers described in subparagraph (j)(1) of this Paragraph shall remain applicable with respect to proceeds received from the levy of a local sales and use tax specifically authorized by a constitutional amendment in force and effect pursuant to Article XI, Section I, Paragraph IV(a), as opposed to a local sales and use tax authorized by this Paragraph or by general law.

Line Item:

Excess proceeds of the tax which remain following expenditure of proceeds for authorized projects or purposes for education shall be used solely for the purpose of reducing any indebtedness of the school system. In the event there is no indebtedness, such excess proceeds shall be used by such school system for the purpose of reducing its millage rate in an amount equivalent to the amount of such excess proceeds.

If there is any excess and NO indebtedness of the school system, then the excess proceeds will be utilized to LOWER the millage rate.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I voted early, and I voted NO on all the amendments, NO on SPLOST and I voted for Roy Barnes.

You are right. But it seems like the Paulding County Board of Education has become co-dependant. The more we give the more they want. Maybe they should do like the rest of us and learn to live with

Ok, went out at lunch in Cobb County were I actually have a place to work, where they are working to correct their traffic problems, where they have good parks & police protection (I could keep go