Paulding.com

Todd walks likes he talks on taxes

A few people are trying to discredit Todd Pownall and his position on tax increases.

Todd Pownall has for many years opposed tax increases well before he decided to run for post 2 commissioner.

His opponent however has never spoken out against tax increases while serving as an Administrative Assistant to Commission Chairman Jerry Shearin. This video was taken during a County Commission meeting in July 2007.

Thanks Todd Pownall for standing up for the taxpayers of the County when your opponent failed to do so.

No vague promises inside a brown bag hung on certain citizens mail boxes, Just Todd Pownall standing up for you and I.

Please vote TODD POWNALL COMMISSIONER POST 2

AUGUST 10 2010

• Like 1

A few people are trying to discredit Todd Pownall and his position on tax increases.

Todd Pownall has for many years opposed tax increases well before he decided to run for post 2 commissioner.

His opponent however has never spoken out against tax increases while serving as an Administrative Assistant to Commission Chairman Jerry Shearin. This video was taken during a County Commission meeting in July 2007.

Thanks Todd Pownall for standing up for the taxpayers of the County when your opponent failed to do so.

No vague promises inside a brown bag hung on certain citizens mail boxes, Just Todd Pownall standing up for you and I.

Please vote TODD POWNALL COMMISSIONER POST 2

AUGUST 10 2010

That video proves that Todd Pownall doesn't understand a thing about the process for raising taxes.

And what is Todd's response to this Tuesday's bogus need to raise the mill-rate?

http://www.livestream.com/pauldingcom/video?clipId=pla_47ef6f97-6be2-4ef5-b12d-f49abdf90066

Fast forward to the 25:55 mark and watch the deer in headlight look.

Unnecessarily raising the mill-rate this year in order to drive up the excess reserve.

CHART-v1.png

That video proves that Todd Pownall doesn't understand a thing about the process for raising taxes.

That video proves that Todd knows how to flush the tax hikers out, And he did it, Where was Beverly when the citizens needed her to speak up?

That video proves that Todd knows how to flush the tax hikers out, And he did it, Where was Beverly when the citizens needed her to speak up?

Where was Todd the following year when Austin actually raised the taxes the amount that Todd was accusing Jerry of trying to raise? And where is Todd right now when taxes being raised on 15,000 residential properties for no reason at all?

Where was Todd the following year when Austin actually raised the taxes the amount that Todd was accusing Jerry of trying to raise? And where is Todd right now when taxes being raised on 15,000 residential properties for no reason at all?

Where is/was Beverly????? Todd was there and so were you and you spoke at the meeting and you said nothing whatsoever about the Bond rate increase that was proposed that date to pay for the Courthouse and the greenspace,That Todd was speaking about In the video And you know that to be a fact, I can load that video and play it if you like.

You have never once spoke against any tax increase under the Shearin, Beverly regime for those entire eight years.

Maybe someone needs to post your tax records to actually show that you are paying less taxes this year than last year???????

Are you on the special tax rate???

Cochran has stated clearly that she is against a tax or millage increase.

Edited by wonderwhy
  • Like 1

Cochran has spoken clearly that she is against a tax or millage increase.

Beverly was the AA for Bill Carruth and Jerry Shearin for twelve years from 1996 to 2008 and never once spoke out against the tax increases that the citizens of Paulding County endured during that period of time.

Where is/was Beverly????? Todd was there and so were you and you spoke at the meeting and you said nothing whatsoever about the Bond rate increase that was proposed that date to pay for the Courthouse and the greenspace,That Todd was speaking about In the video And you know that to be a fact, I can load that video and play it if you like.

You have never once spoke against any tax increase under the Shearin, Beverly regime for those entire eight years.

Maybe someone needs to post your tax records to actually show that you are paying less taxes this year than last year???????

Are you on the special tax rate???

Why would I blame Austin for raising the Bond when it was due to the inherited courthouse/greenspace debt? By the way, you know the Bond is going up on Tuesday also?

Beverly was the AA for Bill Carruth and Jerry Shearin for twelve years from 1996 to 2008 and never once spoke out against the tax increases that the citizens of Paulding County endured during that period of time.

AA is a employee and does not control tax or the commissioner's actions. As a candidate for Post 2 Commissioner Cochran states she is against raising the tax or millage rate.

AA is a employee and does not control tax or the commissioner's actions. As a candidate for Post 2 Commissioner Cochran states she is against raising the tax or millage rate.

AA is an employee that can speak out if they so desire, Look at the video again Pat spoke out and owned up to the truth in the video.

Beverly has never said anything about all of the tax increases that she was a part of until she decided to run for commissioner

Why would I blame Austin for raising the Bond when it was due to the inherited courthouse/greenspace debt? By the way, you know the Bond is going up on Tuesday also?

Just checked the web site bond is set at the same 1.6 mils

You never committed on your taxes, Are you going to be paying more taxes? :D

You never answered are your taxes going up 30%?

Probably still going down. However, now that the Bond is increasing I have to re-do the math. Of course the point is even if my taxes dropped by half, the county still has to justify the need for the half. And right now, they're raising the mill-rate on the M/0 solely to have extra excess at the end of the year. The mill-rate increase is not needed to meet the demands of the 2011 FY budget as shown below:

CHART-v1.png

Edited by Reagan Republican

Probably still going down. However, now that the Bond is increasing I have to re-do the math. Of course the point is even if my taxes dropped by half, the county still has to justify the need for the half. And right now, they're raising the mill-rate on the M/0 solely to have extra excess at the end of the year. The mill-rate increase is not needed to meet the demands of the 2011 FY budget as shown below:

CHART-v1.png

You are pretty good with figures,You already have your assessment how much has your txes webt down?

Ha! Can't find it at the moment. Anyhow, the Paulding Pundit fights for all the peoples. :)

It's available on line only take a few seconds, Do you need help finding it :D

HMMMMM I see ole praise thee has an article on taxes, I wonder how much his has went down :yahoo: :D

It's available on line only take a few seconds, Do you need help finding it :D

Whitey, 75% of the residences went down in value. Of which I'm one. If you think that disqualifies 75% of the county from having input on the budget and the mill-rate increase, you're nuts. You have obviously lost the argument over and over and now are resorting to threatening to put my personal records on PCOM. My name is public at PauldingPundit.com and anyone can look my tax records up if they wish. Do what you want but you're actually discouraging people from participating in this forum.

Whitey, 75% of the residences went down in value. Of which I'm one. If you think that disqualifies 75% of the county from having input on the budget and the mill-rate increase, you're nuts. You have obviously lost the argument over and over and now are resorting to threatening to put my personal records on PCOM. My name is public at PauldingPundit.com and anyone can look my tax records up if they wish. Do what you want but you're actually discouraging people from participating in this forum.

I am not trying to get people to not participate in this forum, And have known you and your name for a couple of years, And you and others have the right to post anything that you like on this web site and hope that you and others will continue, Beacause I really think we have had a great discussion tonight, And have divulged a lot of good facts for the readers to look at and make up their minds about what is right and wrong about the post that you and I have made.

You have made some points and so have I, The readers will decide who made the most valid points. You obviously are supporting Beverly and the Shearin adminstration, And that is fine with me but.............. Don't thank for one second that I am going to set back and let you take pot shots at Todd Pownall day and night in this forum and your defunct web site without expressing my views on what you are saying in this forum, not going to play that game with you.

When you throw up funny numbers ( That may be accurate) then i will use the same approach. The true facts are no one is going to get anywhere near the % of increase in taxes that you are implying on there actual tax bill, But it does make for good politics on your part.

I have no intentions of putting your tax records in this public forum, You have already stated that your taxes are going to be lower this year that last, And was lower last year than the previous year. But you should also know that I have had my name and tax records posted on this web site in the past by several people because of some of my post on taxes during the school bond.

So my friend post away, And so will I, But do not be suprised if I call your hand on some of your bull shi%, i am sure you will do like wise :D

You obviously are supporting Beverly and the Shearin adminstration,

Whitey, I moved here in 2007. Voted for David Austin in 2008. Never met Jerry Shearin until Christmas of 2009 and never knew who Beverly was until she announced her candidacy. This is part of your problem. You won't allow anyone to challenge anything that goes on in this county without smearing them and connecting them into some crazy conspiracy from the past. The data speaks for itself. There is no justification to raise the County M/O Mill-rate just so we have extra excess reserve at the end of FY 2011. Regardless of who is getting a tax decrease the county still needs to justify the need for this mill-rate increase. If you can justify the below, then please do, if not then move along on to your next "whisper" campaign.

CHART-v1.png

• Like 1

Whitey, I moved here in 2007. Voted for David Austin in 2008. Never met Jerry Shearin until Christmas of 2009 and never knew who Beverly was until she announced her candidacy. This is part of your problem. You won't allow anyone to challenge anything that goes on in this county without smearing them and connecting them into some crazy conspiracy from the past. The data speaks for itself. There is no justification to raise the County M/O Mill-rate just so we have extra excess reserve at the end of FY 2011. Regardless of who is getting a tax decrease the county still needs to justify the need for this mill-rate increase. If you can justify the below, then please do, if not then move along on to your next "whisper" campaign.

CHART-v1.png

Regan Republican I moved here in 1977, I detest higher taxes in any form, and I lived through the Shearin/Beverly regime of the 2000 through 2008 and attended many Public hearings and spoke at those hearings on several occasions opposing the higher taxes being imposed on the citizens of this County.

Posters like you and praise thee have repeatedly attacked me on this site and I have been called out on this site, And at public hearings, By the Chairman of the county commission, And others when I opposed them at the hearings or on this Board. I have no problem with being called out, As long as those that are calling me out can also take what they dish out.

In 2007 ,The citizens of this County had enough and voted out by a landslide the biggest tax and spend Republican commission Chairman that this County has ever known The new administration proceeded to change personnel within the various departments and Beverly Cochran was transferred from the Commissioner’s office to the DA’s office and was subsequently laid off from that department in a reduction in force due to a budget crisis, The rest of that story is a matter of record both here and at the commissioner’s office

Beverly is now attempting to remake her image as a conservative, Opposing, any tax increase, Despite her tax and spend support of the two previous administrations as can be attested to here in this video when Beverly had the opportunity to come clean and speak out, And failed to do so

This proposed budget is no different than the previous proposed budgets of David Austin. Changes have been made and probably more changes will be made, up to the hearing’s set for tomorrow, and, the final millage rate established tomorrow afternoon.

The reasons for the changes have been explained in detail in the opening pages of the revised budget, Which, I assume you disagree with this explanation? And you are certainly entitled to your opinion on this matter.

The plain and simple fact is, The citizens of this county are being taxed less under this proposed budget that they were for the past couple of years, I know for a fact that you and I are being tax far less than we were last year

This information has been made available on the Commissioners web site weeks before the primary election held on July 20, 2010

Current millage rate = 6.65

Proposed millage rate = 7.60

^^^ THIS IS A TAX INCREASE.

This is a millage rate increase that recoups some of the lost tax revenues as a result of properties being devalued, Most citizens will actually pay less taxes this year than last year.

The County as a whole will collect less taxes overall that the previous year, Have you figured your tax cut yet?

This is a millage rate increase that recoups some of the lost tax revenues as a result of properties being devalued, Most citizens will actually pay less taxes this year than last year.

The County as a whole will collect less taxes overall that the previous year, Have you figured your tax cut yet?

Regardless, the only thing the mill-rate accomplishes is adding 2.9 mil to the leftover EXCESS RESERVE for future years. It is not needed to meet the needs of this year's budget. I'll say it again, the county needs to justify every penny they take from tax-payers and this mill-rate increase is not necessary.

• Like 1

Keyword = INCREASE.

Sugarcoat it all you want, but the simple fact is that I will pay MORE TAXES

under the proposed 7.60 mils than I would pay under the current 6.65 mils !!!

• Like 4

Whitey- Were you a fly on the wall at the BOC office? How do you know she didn't voice her opinion concerning and opposition to the tax increases? You keep harping on why didn't she speak out against these increases, but tell me when would have been an appropriate time for her to do so? You've been to enough BOC meetings to know when it was appropriate to for the County Clerk to speak.

Many government employees will have opposing viewpoints to the elected opinions, how vocal do you expect them to be without losing their jobs?

Has it ever occured to any of you that perhaps Beverly saw things in her position that she was opposed to but limited in what she could do about it? Now that she no longer is an employee wants to serve the best interests of the citizens of the County and potentially work to correct some of the things that she deemed to be "wrong" at the County including countless tax increases...

• Like 1

Whitey- Were you a fly on the wall at the BOC office? How do you know she didn't voice her opinion concerning and opposition to the tax increases? You keep harping on why didn't she speak out against these increases, but tell me when would have been an appropriate time for her to do so? You've been to enough BOC meetings to know when it was appropriate to for the County Clerk to speak.

Many government employees will have opposing viewpoints to the elected opinions, how vocal do you expect them to be without losing their jobs?

Has it ever occured to any of you that perhaps Beverly saw things in her position that she was opposed to but limited in what she could do about it? Now that she no longer is an employee wants to serve the best interests of the citizens of the County and potentially work to correct some of the things that she deemed to be "wrong" at the County including countless tax increases...

Excellent post and excellent questions. I would like to know the answers also and not just unfounded speculation that I have so often seen posted on this issue.

Regardless, the only thing the mill-rate accomplishes is adding 2.9 mil to the leftover EXCESS RESERVE for future years. It is not needed to meet the needs of this year's budget. I'll say it again, the county needs to justify every penny they take from tax-payers and this mill-rate increase is not necessary.

They do justify it right here http://www.paulding.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=471

The first few pages are pretty clear on the justifaction, You may not agree, But.......... It is explianed pretty clear to me. read it you will probably change your mind on the issue.

You do note that this revised budget was out 11 full day's before the primary election held July 20,2010 I picked up one at the Commissioners meeting.

They do justify it right here http://www.paulding.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=471

The first few pages are pretty clear on the justifaction, You may not agree, But.......... It is explianed pretty clear to me. read it you will probably change your mind on the issue.

You do note that this revised budget was out 11 full day's before the primary election held July 20,2010 I picked up one at the Commissioners meeting.

So you agree with over-taxing us this year in order to avoid tough decisions in future years? You think a 31% reserve is not sufficient enough when all is required is a 25% reserve? Are they going to pay the taxpayers interest on this extra money they're taking above and beyond what is needed? Oh, and how can you guarantee they won't spend it between this year and future years?

Why doesn't Todd offer an opinion on this?

"I am not in favor of a tax increase or millage rate increase. This means as a county we will have to look for creative solutions to accomplish goals, complete tasks, and provide county services." ... The old Todd Pownall before Chairman David Austin (who's raising the mill-rate) paid for an endorsement ad in the newspaper for him.

Edited by Reagan Republican

winston 1972 First I would like to point out that Beverly Cochran was no "COUNTY CLERK" as you allude to, She was the Administrative Assistant to the Board of commissioners and as such has more responsibilities that just being a "clerk", Fact is she used this job in one of her mail outs to acclaim that " will need no on the job training" Now this is scary to me since the on the job training she obtained was under a tax and spend administration, Which she was a part of.

She had an ample opportunity to stand up for the citizens here is one example.

You should note in this video that Pat Crook did not cover up the scheme that was planned in this clip, But rather owned up to her part, And actually acknowledged that the e-mail was sent out by her, And she did not lose her job as a result of throwing her boss under the bus, Fact is she was rewarded by giving her some additional employment under the previous administration, During the transition period. Whistle blowers are protected under the law, and should be encouraged to expose any wrong doings.

No I was no fly on the wall, but I did have a lot of conversations wit the various commissioners and did obtain a lot of documents through the "Open Records laws of the state of Georgia" to HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF WHAT WAS GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what was transpiring behind the scenes. I hope you are not contending that Beverly Cochran had no knowledge of the e-mail, and had no responsibility to speak out about her involvement in the attempted cover up of a sneaky tax increase? .....Or are you??????

So you agree with over-taxing us this year in order to avoid tough decisions in future years? You think a 31% reserve is not sufficient enough when all is required is a 25% reserve? Are they going to pay the taxpayers interest on this extra money they're taking above and beyond what is needed? Oh, and how can you guarantee they won't spend it between this year and future years?

Why doesn't Todd offer an opinion on this?

"I am not in favor of a tax increase or millage rate increase. This means as a county we will have to look for creative solutions to accomplish goals, complete tasks, and provide county services." ... The old Todd Pownall before Chairman David Austin (who's raising the mill-rate) paid for an endorsement ad in the newspaper for him.

I see that one of two things have occured either you did not read the first few pages of the revised budget, Or you did not comphrend what you read.