Paulding.com

Maytag Recalls 1.7 Million Dishwashers

Name of Product: Dishwashers

Units: About 1.7 million

Manufacturer: Maytag Corp. of Newton, Iowa or Maytag Corp. of Benton Harbor, Mich.

Hazard: An electrical failure in the dishwasher's heating element can pose a serious fire hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: Maytag has received 12 reports of dishwasher heating element failures that resulted in fires and dishwasher damage, including one report of extensive kitchen damage from a fire. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recall includes Maytag®, Amana®, Jenn-Air®, Admiral®, Magic Chef®, Performa by Maytag® and Crosley® brand dishwashers with plastic tubs and certain serial numbers. The affected dishwashers were manufactured with black, bisque, white, silver and stainless steel front panels. The brand name is printed on the front of the dishwasher. The model and serial numbers are printed on a label located inside the plastic tub on a tag near the left side of the door opening. You will need to have your serial number handy to see if your unit is affected.

Maytag Recall

Ours is on the recall list. We elected to have the repair done instead of the rebate,as no way will I buy another Maytag anything. This one has been repaired about six times in three years. Luckily we bought an extended warranty which we usually never do because we had so many problems the first year we had it, we saw it was going to be a problem machine.

Thanks for the info Lots To Do. Cape Fear Appliance will be out Monday to replace defective part

I guess that the sooner you call, the sooner it gets fixed. It looks like they are fairly well prepared. It sure seems like it should take forever to fix 1.7 million dishwashers though.

Mine's on the list, and less than 1 year old. dry.gif Since I'm not really pleased with it, I'm hesitating to just have it repaired, but it doesn't seem like $150 or $150 will go very far toward replacing it. Off to compare some prices. UGH Like I really need another thing on my plate.

Can't decide what to do yet. We paid over $300 for an Amana less that 1 year ago, that I don't like. It's under recall. I can have it fixed and still gripe about it or pay $450+ for one of the ones on the approved list and get a $150 rebate. dry.gif

Waited all day, called "fixing company" late today to find out they didn't get the parts :angry:. I don't blame the "repair people" too much other than they could have called to tell us not to wait around today, but now DH is on the phone with Maytag right now to tell them that the repair people don't have the parts and asking what they are going to do about this.

Can't decide what to do yet. We paid over $300 for an Amana less that 1 year ago, that I don't like. It's under recall. I can have it fixed and still gripe about it or pay $450+ for one of the ones on the approved list and get a $150 rebate. dry.gif

Why haven't you liked it? Design? Doesn't clean well? Noisy?

Waited all day, called "fixing company" late today to find out they didn't get the parts mad.gif. I don't blame the "repair people" too much other than they could have called to tell us not to wait around today, but now DH is on the phone with Maytag right now to tell them that the repair people don't have the parts and asking what they are going to do about this.

After a LONG time on the phone, the "repair place" is supposed to go buy what is needed to fix the problem, get us back on the schedule (at the top) and get the work done, have names/dates/times/discussions documented. Lots of this was confirmed while on the phone, just waiting on the rescheduling call for service based on getting the "local parts", then that becomes a billing/reimbursement issue between fixer and rebater :) - I just want it fixed!.