Paulding.com

Proposal to place 4-H under Agriculture Dept.

This might be a good move and it would keep the 4-H program that so many love. It would also place all of the state's agricultural colleges under the Department of Agriculture . They are currently under the Board of Regents. As I understand it, the voters would have to approve the move.

http://wsbradio.com/...endment-to.html

What do you guys think?

at first glance it seems to be a smart move but you know, the devil is always in the details.

Yes, that is the truth! I guess we will have to see where it goes and what those details are. I want this program to survive.

yeah, no kidding...me too! My girls are just now really old enough to join and we are looking forward to it. DH is an Eagle Scout and he would have loved to have a couple of boys to Scout with but we got girls! 4-H is probably gonna be a good match for our family!

Add to this proposal, the Governor's plan to eliminate the elective office of Agriculture Commissioner which would move that department of state government under the governor.

So, a yes vote on both could be expanding the agriculture department to include the land-grant (agricultural) colleges (like UGA) and make them all part of the governor's office meaning that governor would appoint the head honcho over the state's premier institution of higher education.

Now imagine if someone like Ralph Reed were to become governor and control UGA's science programs.

I think it is a bad idea.

pubby

Add to this proposal, the Governor's plan to eliminate the elective office of Agriculture Commissioner which would move that department of state government under the governor.

So, a yes vote on both could be expanding the agriculture department to include the land-grant (agricultural) colleges (like UGA) and make them all part of the governor's office meaning that governor would appoint the head honcho over the state's premier institution of higher education.

Now imagine if someone like Ralph Reed were to become governor and control UGA's science programs.

I think it is a bad idea.

pubby

I don't think I like that idea either Pubby. Maybe they could just do it with the 4-H program and leave the colleges alone.huh.gif

I am in the horse & pony 4-h. I just cant imagine it being taken away.When We where told about it, we started emailing everyone we could think of that could help us out. I got a response back from a couple, and one told me that it was all just threats.Who knows though. I know this has to be scaring the crap out of college kids with scholarships ,and the ones who are supposed to be recieveing scholarships. The paulding 4-h has alot of programs to offer to the youth,and everyone at the extension office is very nice. They dont deserve to loose there jobs either. <_<

Can't say about the 4-H program, but I see moving the college of Agriculture and the Extension department to the Ag Department as a potential problem. Plus, if they follow past moves like this, they won't fund it, and it will simply whither on the vine.

Georgia's number ONE industry is still Agriculture. Plain and simple. Lockheed, Insurance, autoplants, banking, medicine, etc. all take a back seat to agriculture.

Poultry is still more than 50% of the Agriculture GDP.

But our Cooperative Extension Departments and Poultry Science School have been decimated by cuts over the past 8 years, even when times were good. Many of our top researcher Extension professors have moved to University of Arkansas School of Excellence [with one hell of an endowment from Tyson and some of the other poultry integrators], Auburn, Virginia Tech and Mississippi. Most of those who left have not even been replaced.

And now to move these departments to fall under an agency already severely underfunded ? Does not sound practical to me.

During the past decade Georgia has seen 14 of its 30 poultry complexes formerly owned by Georgia Corporations sold to outside corporations in Texas, Maryland and Alabama and they no longer have any corporate presence in Georgia. The Gold Kist building between Perimeter Mall and I285 is now empty and for sale. 7 more of the complexes were already owned by entities with their corporate presence outside the state.

It seems our politicians have a hard time remembering who brought them to the dance.

Can't say about the 4-H program, but I see moving the college of Agriculture and the Extension department to the Ag Department as a potential problem. Plus, if they follow past moves like this, they won't fund it, and it will simply whither on the vine.

Georgia's number ONE industry is still Agriculture. Plain and simple. Lockheed, Insurance, autoplants, banking, medicine, etc. all take a back seat to agriculture.

Poultry is still more than 50% of the Agriculture GDP.

But our Cooperative Extension Departments and Poultry Science School have been decimated by cuts over the past 8 years, even when times were good. Many of our top researcher Extension professors have moved to University of Arkansas School of Excellence [with one hell of an endowment from Tyson and some of the other poultry integrators], Auburn, Virginia Tech and Mississippi. Most of those who left have not even been replaced.

And now to move these departments to fall under an agency already severely underfunded ? Does not sound practical to me.

During the past decade Georgia has seen 14 of its 30 poultry complexes formerly owned by Georgia Corporations sold to outside corporations in Texas, Maryland and Alabama and they no longer have any corporate presence in Georgia. The Gold Kist building between Perimeter Mall and I285 is now empty and for sale. 7 more of the complexes were already owned by entities with their corporate presence outside the state.

It seems our politicians have a hard time remembering who brought them to the dance.

I think you are right about some of them having forgotten who brought them to the dance. At one time this state was represented by a majority of Democrats down under the Gold Dome. I remember telling one of them that I would not vote for him for dog catcher. He lost in the next election and the Party in Power slowly changed. If they DO NOT work for the people, listen to them, and if they do not adhere to their promises it has been my experience that they eventually lose that power. JMO