Paulding.com

Paulding County Georgia flood victim relief

I am sorry to hear of so many with water damage this week.

I wrote this for fires but any natural disaster would apply.

If you have wet photos DON'T THROW THEM AWAY WITHOUT TRYING TO SAVE THEM.

I would be happy to lend a couple of hours at no charge to help you save your family's visual history.

Call me if I can help.

770-443-7355

I'm so sorry to hear of another fire. The loss of most items can be replaced at the local store, but the loss of old photos can't be replaced.

The damage can look much worse than it really is for the photos in albums and those still in the envelopes from the store.

Photos are made of plastic on two sides of thin paper and the last step before drying and cutting for you to take home is a water wash to remove the developing chemicals. ( some new developers use a chemical to save water)

The packets of photos in the drawer might be wet from the fire hoses and look burned but many times the plastic has melted on the edges and the person in the photo is in the center of the picture and is still in good shape.

Take what looks like a total loss and put them into a plastic bag and seal it so the photos wont dry out.

The photos might be stuck together but try to peal them apart. You will be surprised of how many pictures you can save up to several weeks after they got wet.

You can always cut away the burned and wrinkled part of the photo and save the middle, the part that has the child's first birthday or the pictures of the grand parents or others who might not still be with us.

Don't worry about trying to separate them in a tub of water or under running water and laying them out to dry by themselves. After all, you were about to throw away your family's visual history anyway.

It's worth saving these memories. PHOTOS ARE VEHICLES TO REKINDLE MEMORIES!!!!!

I would be happy to help you save some of those memories or show you how easy it can be, (sometimes) .

Collect all the photos wet, dry, burned edges, smoked glass, burned on the edges.

KEEP THE WET ONES WET.

Call in the family and have a "save the photos gathering". You can all share in the re-discovery of the special memories of your family history and this time you can write dates and names on the back.

Please call me if I can be of any help in any way.

Nicholas Cole - Photographer 770-443-7355

HTTP://WWW.NicholasColePhotographer.com/Copy.html

I am so sorry to hear of the damage to some of our neighbors. I am on top of a hill in downtown Marietta listening to thunder in the west.

I do have 6 in. of water in the basement which I will attack in a few minutes.

If you have damage to photos, please do not throw away those pictures. Call me and I will give up to 2 hours of help to save your cherished old photos at no charge.

If you lose a portrait I have taken for you, I will replace it at no charge.

Call me if I can help.

770-443-7355

Keep your photos wet until you have a chance to rinse them under fresh water and put them out to dry.

This is for real photos not computer photo paper. They may be able to be saved too but I am not sure how.

I am willing to give 2 hours of salvage time and help to those who need to save water damaged photos.

DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR CHERISHED FAMILY PHOTOS.

MOST OF THEM CAN BE SAVED.

I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP.

CALL ME IF YOU NEED HELP.

770-443-7355

This is really nice of you.

Here is some tips that some may find useful!

http://genealogy.about.com/od/photos/a/water_damage.htm

Thanks for supporting my post. Water is the last of the process for photos. (They now use a waterless wash in some places.)

You almost can't damage them further by rinsing them in cool water and setting them out to dry.

Thank you so much for the information! My mother lives in Austell. Her entire first floor remains under water. She has several pictures on the first floor and my grandmother's Bible that are under water. Any advice on trying to save the Bible would be greatly appreciated. That is the one thing that she is really upset about losing. Thanks for the help and advice!

Thank you so much for the information! My mother lives in Austell. Her entire first floor remains under water. She has several pictures on the first floor and my grandmother's Bible that are under water. Any advice on trying to save the Bible would be greatly appreciated. That is the one thing that she is really upset about losing. Thanks for the help and advice!

Same here, my mother lives off of Love street. I'll call you Nicholas, as soon as we can get her things out. Do you think you'll be able to give an estimate of cost before you begin?

1novella Posted Today, 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Tananda @ Sep 22 2009, 06:03 PM) *

Same here, my mother lives off of Love street. I'll call you Nicholas, as soon as we can get her things out. Do you think you'll be able to give an estimate of cost before you begin?

So sorry about the Bible. I don't work with paper much so I will ask my conservation friends. I talked with one today about going down to work on the Cyclorama next month. I will see from him what leads I can pass on to the P.com community.

As for the price. I will give a firm price for the time I think it will take to salvage your photos. You may lose some information from being stuck together and curling up but when I see what you have I can give you a price.

For some like the Bible and photos mounted on cardboard I will need to copy them to save the photo or information on the pages. I will do everything I can to save what I can for you.

I just talked to Shae Avery of Avery Gallery on Roswell Street in Marietta about the Bible. He does work with books but he needs to get it within a day of so of being flooded. The longer we wait the more problems there will be in saving the pages that will begin to disintegrate – the paper fibers start coming apart from one another and you end up with a mush – papier mache if you will.

You can take it to him or I can do it for you and we will give you a firm quote before we start. He charges $100 for an estimate because it takes time to delve into what it will take to work on the piece. He and his staff of highly trained people do this work so his charges are by the hour. I don't know what he may charge to save an old Bible.

Check out Avery Gallery web site here.

Nicholas does an excelent job on restorations, it is realy worth your time to bring your damaged pictures to him!!

Thanks for your post. It has been fun working with you over the last few years.

post-6208-1253683275_thumb.jpg

I will also post this as a Portrait of the Day again soon.

BACK TO THE FLOOD

CALL ME TO GET INFO AS TO HOW TO SAVE YOUR VALUABLE OLD PHOTOS.

770-443-7355

Now that folks are getting to see the damage, they are finding the water soaked photo albums a mess. Now is the time to contact me for some help as to how to save these memories. Most of them can be saved.

Call me for some free help advice as to how to save them.

770-443-7355

It will be too late soon to save, without lots of cost. your photo of grand mom and uncle Joe in front of the old home place.

Call me to save these visual historical bits of information of your family.

Don't just cry as you throw away these photos.

Bring a few of them to me and I will see if I can save them for future generations.

No charge on the first 5 photos.

I may not save them in perfect shape but it beats trashing your family history.

Bring your photo albums and I will show you how to save the photos.

I have a couple of portrait sessions this afternoon so please call. If I don't answer, I will call you back soon.

Nicholas