Paulding.com

Paulding School Foundation Fundraiser at Dallas Theater

Tickets are on sale now for Midsummer Magic 2009 at the Dallas Theater. The show is coming up Saturday July 11 at 7:00PM.

Please help spread the word so that we can fill the place and raise the maximum amount possible for this year's charity, the Paulding County School Foundation.

360_jmt5.jpg

Get your tickets at the box office or online.

All seats $12.

For those who saw the show last year and have asked me -- this year's show will have some different pieces so it won't be a total repeat.

If you'd like to do something nice -- here's an idea. Buy a ticket and give it to someone else. That person will have a great time, and you'll be supporting education in Paulding, too!

Thanks in advance!

Here's a little tidbit to whet your appetite:

At this show, I will perform a routine never before seen in this country. It was performed by a British magician on a BBC television special back in the 1980s, but it has not been performed live in this country -- mainly because many performers consider it too difficult.

Will it work when I try it? I have a good feeling, but anything can happen in live theater. It involves me and six other people... that's a lot of room for something to go awry. But we're going to give it a go!

Get your tickets now at www.turnermagic.com!

If you've bought tickets and can't come, please put the tickets in the hands of someone who will use them. If you haven't got tickets yet, please buy a couple -- we need a good crowd in order to do one of the things I have planned.

Proceeds will go to support scholarships for Paulding students as well as grants for Paulding teachers and schools.

The show will feature a beautiful young woman from PCHS in a fantastic closing illusion. I'm really pleased that Caroline Folsom has agreed to help me out!

If you have a child interested in magic -- there is one trick in the show that I will have for sale in the lobby afterward so that your own budding magician can perform it at home!

If you need another reason to come -- please consider coming as a personal favor to me. I am trying to produce this annual show in order to support my new community and to benefit a different Paulding charity every summer. Please help me get the tradition up and going.

Thanks!

Here's a quick trick you can do at home:

1. Take any regular 6-sided die from a board game -- Monopoly, whatever.

2. Roll it a couple of times to make sure it's fair.

3. Roll it again, and whatever number comes up, add that to the number on the opposite face of the die -- that is, the number touching the table.

4. Have you got that sum in mind? Hold it in your thoughts... focus... and concentrate...

The number you are thinking of is... 7. Which, oddly enough, is the starting time of Midsummer Magic 2009 this Saturday night at the Dallas Theatre!

Hope you can make it - and please tell your friends!

JMT

http://www.pauldingcountyschoolfoundation.org

My support of an organization's initiative or goal is not predicated on a complete agreement with everything they have ever championed. What I am supporting here is an organization's mission to award scholarships to students and grants to teachers as part of their mission. I know there was a divisive issue a few years back and there were multiple points of view, but this show is not about that issue. It is about providing additional opportunities to students and teachers, providing needed services and extended capabilities to schools, helping to connect business and community to education, and -- specifically for my own motive -- helping to institute a local tradition of an annual magic event to benefit different causes and organizations in PC.

I respectfully ask everyone to consider helping me get this annual show tradition up and running. Last year was great. I would like to see this year be equally successful. And if you have suggestions for next year's beneficiary, I'm open to suggestions. But I can't do any of it without an audience in the theater. Magicians create magic not on stage, but in the minds of the audience members. The audience is the most critical part of any theatrical show.

Thanks for your support!

Probably a dumb question...but --- are tix available at the door, if so is there an additional cost?

Glad I logged on and caught this info.

Nevermind, I followed link - available at box office ----- See you there - only you will not know me, because I don't look like a Kangaroo (except for this motherish marsupial pouch caused by birthing children).

Edited by tranquil kangaroo

Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to those who came out for the show. It went very smoothly and Lenay Walker could not have been more helpful. She is a real pro.

Caroline Folsom did a fantastic job and I am thankful for her participation.

We raised enough money for a healthy donation, but we did not raise as much money as I had hoped. Despite having scheduled the show way back in February, the PR for this one never seemed to get off the ground. We eventually ended up being at the same time as a bluegrass festival and a fireworks display... although we actually were done well before dark and I think some folks from the show went on over to the fireworks afterwards.

In addition to the first American performance of a particular trick, I also debuted a new "look" last night. Minus the coat and tie -- a more casual look for various family and church events (where suitable). I wish I had someone there taking pictures, but oh well.

Look for the show to be back again next summer. I am already getting suggestions on other charitable organizations who could use a little spotlight.

I have learned a lot of lessons about how specific I need to be regarding promotion and sales when working with charitable groups. There is *no substitute* for advance sales. If people commit by buying their tickets ahead of time, then you don't have to depend on a walk-up crowd who may make a last-second choice to stay home and watch "Zack and Cody: SVU" and not have to find a parking place.

I also learned that despite what I was told, there is no such thing as "peaking too early" when promoting a show like this. If you "peak early," that just means you are now talking about a SOLD OUT show (which heightens and extends the PR buzz!) instead of worrying about sales during the week of the show and hoping to have an audience present. I put too much work into preparing the actual performance to have the additional stress of wondering if there will be people there to see it. "Peaking early" is not something to be avoided... it is a thing devoutly to be wished.

Anyway... those who came, I really appreciate your support. Those who did not, keep an eye out for other shows in the area (at Stars & Strikes, etc.) as well as another big illusion show next summer!

Blessings...

JMT

My HH and I were there last night, and we enjoyed the show very much. :) I would encourage everyone who has heard of Joe's shows and *thought* about attending to please do so - he is a polished performer who keeps things moving and includes tricks and illusions that all ages can appreciate. I definitely got the impression that EVERYONE there was having a good time, regardless of their ages.

The Dallas Theater is a handsome venue, clean and stylish, with plenty of parking just down the street. (That had been a concern of mine.) A nice, uncomplicated evening all 'round! :)

Just a quick P.S.

Did anyone happen to get any pictures of the lit marquee? I didn't have anyone taking photos this time (unfortunately) and so I wondered if there might be someone reading who got a snapshot.

Thanks.

JMT