Paulding.com

Regarding mower repairs....beware!

I have just came across my 3rd instance of a supposedly "rebuilt" or "new" carburetor that was anything but that. Before you go out and have someone tell you you need a new carb, or rebuilt one, you might want to reconsider and call me. I just tore down my 3rd rebuilt carb (all nice and shiney on the outside, but scratched up in the bore and some parts that were NOT replaced.....or even cleaned)

I have rebuilt carburetors that were well over 15 years old, and they ran like champs...for much less than a new carburetor would cost. And I would shy away from ever buying a "rebuilt" carburetor. Save yourself some heartache, and have a pro do the job for you. Rebuilt carb's are mostly a joke. You have these younger bucks who replace the simple stuff (float, needle and seats) and don't even bother with the main jets or emulsion tubing element).....which happens to the the most IMPORTANT part to replace or clean.

This is basically a public service thread to warn people about things that could waste your money. I have been rebuilding carbs for 34 years, and trust me.....I know a little about this. Most people don't, and I get upset when I come across these problems, because IMO, people are being "taken". Give me a call, and I guarantee you won't be taken, and you sure won't be buying something new if it's not necessary.

Thanks!

Glenn

678-315-8794

I have just came across my 3rd instance of a supposedly "rebuilt" or "new" carburetor that was anything but that. Before you go out and have someone tell you you need a new carb, or rebuilt one, you might want to reconsider and call me. I just tore down my 3rd rebuilt carb (all nice and shiney on the outside, but scratched up in the bore and some parts that were NOT replaced.....or even cleaned)

I have rebuilt carburetors that were well over 15 years old, and they ran like champs...for much less than a new carburetor would cost. And I would shy away from ever buying a "rebuilt" carburetor. Save yourself some heartache, and have a pro do the job for you. Rebuilt carb's are mostly a joke. You have these younger bucks who replace the simple stuff (float, needle and seats) and don't even bother with the main jets or emulsion tubing element).....which happens to the the most IMPORTANT part to replace or clean.

This is basically a public service thread to warn people about things that could waste your money. I have been rebuilding carbs for 34 years, and trust me.....I know a little about this. Most people don't, and I get upset when I come across these problems, because IMO, people are being "taken". Give me a call, and I guarantee you won't be taken, and you sure won't be buying something new if it's not necessary.

Thanks!

Glenn

678-315-8794

I needed a carburetor last summer. I think it was about 40.00 to buy a new one, so I just broke down and paid it. It took all of 5 minutes to replace it and could finish cutting my grass.

I needed a carburetor last summer. I think it was about 40.00 to buy a new one, so I just broke down and paid it. It took all of 5 minutes to replace it and could finish cutting my grass.

$40 for a new one??? Where at? :huh: Carbs usually run around 70.

How much to sharpen blades on a gas mower? TIA :D

Just to sharpen the blades? If you feel confident that that's all you need, then bring it over here...I'll do it for $25. (Assuming you mean push mower) it takes almost 3 times as long to do twin blades on a rider.

Folks...I've said it before and I'll gladly say it again. I know my stuff, and times are tough right now. Don't be getting sucked into deals that will leave you stranded with a broke mower after 1 or 2 uses. You come to me, and I'll stick with you, because I check EVERYTHING....not just what needs to be fixed. I'm not in this to get rich. I am into this because I love it, and I want to keep folks happy and confident in my work. As far as money goes, I just wanna survive and make my house payments on time. Bottom line- YOU come on ahead of me, but I sleep well at night knowing I am helping folks by providing the best service in town and charging much less......anything to save you money, I'll do it. NONE of us have that much money right now, and this is simply my way of paying it forward. In another 2-3 months, I will have to charge more competitive rates, but you will still receive the best service available. I stand behind my work. ;)

It was at the small engine shop on Memorial Drive, I forgot the name. Could I have gotten a factory reconditioned one?

It was at the small engine shop on Memorial Drive, I forgot the name. Could I have gotten a factory reconditioned one?

It had to be....you can't get a NEW carb for that price. I used to buy rebuilt 2 barrel carbs for my 65 Ford Fairlane and about half the time (50%) I would have problems and have to go in and find out what the dingy's forgot to do or replace, or adjust, etc. That was years ago, and nothing has changed....in fact, I see that it has gotten worse than ever. This is what I call an "old school" business, and there aint many old schoolers left out there.

Subby is da man!

We will be firing up the mowers this weekend.... unless it's raining. My kids are praying for rain, and sneaking in every rain dance they can muster!!!

And like I told ya....if you have a prob with either one, and we'll make it right. ;)

Hint- if they have been sitting idle all winter, pour the gas out of the tanks (tip them over and drain it or take the hose off the bottom) and put NEW gas in them. They should be good to go then. ;)

And like I told ya....if you have a prob with either one, and we'll make it right. ;)

Hint- if they have been sitting idle all winter, pour the gas out of the tanks (tip them over and drain it or take the hose off the bottom) and put NEW gas in them. They should be good to go then. ;)

Thanks will do!!!! :)

It had to be....you can't get a NEW carb for that price. I used to buy rebuilt 2 barrel carbs for my 65 Ford Fairlane and about half the time (50%) I would have problems and have to go in and find out what the dingy's forgot to do or replace, or adjust, etc. That was years ago, and nothing has changed....in fact, I see that it has gotten worse than ever. This is what I call an "old school" business, and there aint many old schoolers left out there.

I've used this carb for a season and it has worked well. However, I had a rebuilt carb put in my 71 olds when I was a kid and it caught on fire. I'm glad I found out. I'll know next time. Thanks.

I've used this carb for a season and it has worked well. However, I had a rebuilt carb put in my 71 olds when I was a kid and it caught on fire. I'm glad I found out. I'll know next time. Thanks.

Rochester carbs can be tricky to rebuild. I send them out to a pro. Holleys I will do myself. I hope your Olds survived.

Rochester carbs can be tricky to rebuild. I send them out to a pro. Holleys I will do myself. I hope your Olds survived.

Needless to say, I bought a new carb instead of a rebuilt.

I certainly love my Lawnboy 2 cycle mower - no carb to full with.

You have to wonder how someone can sleep at night ripping a "customer" off like that. I guess it is just a way of life for them and the conscience has been dulled.

RaceHubby dropped his chainsaw off to be repaired over a month ago. They called him yesterday and said they had to replace the carbeurator on it. $118 - ouch!

Does that sound legit to you Subby? Or do you only deal with mowers?

We have another chainsaw that belonged to my FIL, so I'd say it's about 20-25 yrs old. Now it needs to go in the shop. Do you do that kinda thing?

It it is a Sthil saw, then parts are pretty expensive.

Nah - I think it's a McCullough

( I'm too much of a tightwad to pay for a stihl) LoL

I certainly love my Lawnboy 2 cycle mower - no carb to full with.

You have to wonder how someone can sleep at night ripping a "customer" off like that. I guess it is just a way of life for them and the conscience has been dulled.

I know that's right. Hell my sleep is far too valuable to me. Not to mention, I have to live with me and look at myself in the mirror everyday. I try to live by this philosophy....

If it's something that would make my Grandma be disappointed in me, then I don't need to be doing it. ;)

That doesn't seem like too bad of a price - $60-70 for the part and $40-50 for the labor.

Okay, I guess I'm just irritated because I had it in there about 2 months before that for a "tune up" which cost me about $76 - then hubby only used it once to cut down 3 small tress and now it's jacked up again!

RaceHubby dropped his chainsaw off to be repaired over a month ago. They called him yesterday and said they had to replace the carbeurator on it. $118 - ouch!

Does that sound legit to you Subby? Or do you only deal with mowers?

We have another chainsaw that belonged to my FIL, so I'd say it's about 20-25 yrs old. Now it needs to go in the shop. Do you do that kinda thing?

That sounds about what a shop would charge. But I don't charge as much as a shop does. I almost NEVER have to put a new carb on anything. I go buy a rebuild kit for 10-25 bux, depending on the engine, and rebuild it myself. Labor on the rebuild is around 30-40 dollars from me.

Okay, I guess I'm just irritated because I had it in there about 2 months before that for a "tune up" which cost me about $76 - then hubby only used it once to cut down 3 small tress and now it's jacked up again!

Then they didn't do a very good tuneup...IMO.

Nah - I think it's a McCullough

( I'm too much of a tightwad to pay for a stihl) LoL

I know that's right. Hell my sleep is far too valuable to me. Not to mention, I have to live with me and look at myself in the mirror everyday. I try to live by this philosophy....

If it's something that would make my Grandma be disappointed in me, then I don't need to be doing it. ;)

Complete and TOTAL honesty is the only way to build good business, period. People are easy to take advantage of, and some people know this and do it. I personally couldn't live with myself if I did that. But people do it every day.....go figure. REPEAT business is going to be hard to get if you over charge or rip people off. I'd rather them keep coming to me when they have a problem, knowing they're not gonna get burned. ;)

Subby gets a deewee "thumbs up"! :)

Likewise to you!! ;)