Paulding.com

CLARK FUNERAL HOME

NEWSPAPER OBIT

4373 ATLANTA HWY.

HIRAM, GA 30141

770-445-7133

FAX 770-505-7273

Vanek

Mr. Randy Stephen Vanek, age 57, of Dallas, passed away on Sunday, January 1, 2006. He was born on August 10, 1948 in Dallas to the late Carl and Alma Shelton Vanek.

Randy graduated from Dallas High School in 1966. He served two tours of duty in Vietnam in the 5th Infantry of the 1st Brigade of the United State Army. Randy was awarded a Purple Heart after his first tour of duty. He married Susan Osborne on June 6, 1969. After working for 5 years with Plumbing and Pipefitters Local 72, he ran Paulding Plumbing and Heating until 1995. Randy then went to work for the Paulding County Board of Commissioners as Chief Building Official and was employed there as a supervisor in the Community Development Dept. at the time of his death.

Surviving are his wife of 36 years, Susan Osborne Vanek; a son and daughter-in-law, Scott and Cindy Vanek of Dallas; a daughter, Jamie Alsobrook of Hiram; a sister and brother-in-law, Donna and Junior Graham of Dallas; granddaughters, Polly Alsobrook of Hiram, Sarah Jane Vanek and Liza Kate Vanek, both of Dallas.

Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, January 4, 2006 at 2:00 p.m. from Clark Funeral Home in Hiram with Reverend George Barnett, Reverend John Hinkel and Judge Bill Foster officiating. The interment will follow in Dallas Memory Gardens with Tommy Youngblood, Wayne Kirby, John Cochran, Terry Henson, Randy Shipp and Roger Baty serving as pallbearers. The family will receive friends on Tuesday from 4:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society/Relay for Life, 280 Merchants Square, Dallas, Georgia 30132. Clark Funeral Home in Hiram, GA in charge of arrangements.

Randy was one of 23 grandchildren of Rayford D. and Georgia Camp Shelton. We have been, as a family and group of grandchildren whose ages range from early 60s to mid 30s, very blessed. In our group of cousins, Randy is our fifth loss. Two were lost in infancy many years ago and most of us never had the opportunity to know them. Dwain, whose generous heart and infectious smile will always be a part of us, was next. Little Carl, half brother to Randy, departed us only a few years ago and left a sadness for all the things that might have been. Now, we have lost Randy. I was a child when he went away to war, but something deep in my heart tells me that he was as valiant and courageous facing death as he was facing the uncertainty of war. He was always kind to me and took time to chat even though many years seperated us. I am saddened that he didn't have the longevity of years to spend with his family, and by the knowledge that so many may never have had the pleasure of knowing him.

I love you, Randy. "And a band of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Lisa

Edited by highontheshoals

I graduated with Cindy, the daughter in law, but haven't seen her in quite some time. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and if anyone knows an address I could send a card to Scott and Cindy Vanek, let me know.