Paulding.com

Mississippi town mourns loss of two officers

Published on May 10, 2015
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, is mourning the death of two police officers. With three people in custody, flags are lowered and roses marked the street near the shooting. Members of a nearby church prayed for the dead and their families.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

This is so sad....Is this country having an open season for killing policemen....The officers were one young black officer and the other was white.

They were shot by 3 black suspects...Why is this nation not outraged...and that so called Rev has not said a word...his silence is deafening....We cannot condone this in our country.... As of late we have had to many officers just gunned down...We are all Americans no matter what our skin color...and as the greatest nation with the most freedoms we all need to abide by the laws and that includes law enforcement and citizens alike...

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3076014/GOT-EM-Mississippi-Subway-employee-caught-celebrating-cop-killings-spurs-mass-calls-boycott-sandwich-chain.html

Good for them.

It's sad that anyone would rejoice about someone dying. Sick p.o.s. It's also telling that hardly anyone on this left-leaning forum has posted on this topic, and probably why there's been less posting here of late.

Where is the outrage? How many police officers have been killed just in the last two weeks?

And yes, I think it is open season to kill a cop.

What are all of these haters, that depend on a cop to show up when they're in the middle of some type of violence, gonna do when a cop doesn't show up?

What are we as a country going to do when the cops feel like it's just not worth the risk of getting shot in the face?

And the left just sits by.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3076014/GOT-EM-Mississippi-Subway-employee-caught-celebrating-cop-killings-spurs-mass-calls-boycott-sandwich-chain.html

Good for them.

It's sad that anyone would rejoice about someone dying. Sick p.o.s. It's also telling that hardly anyone on this left-leaning forum has posted on this topic, and probably why there's been less posting here of late.

First, ythink, I started the topic

Second, a lot of people say stupid things all the time. I'm 99 percent sure that if the circumstances of the shooting were better known and understood, the girl would not only regret her comments but retract them.

The dynamic that is in play in this is that there are bad people out there. The perps in this case were armed. Had the police prevailed, they would have obviously been justified. How the shooting went down ... well there may be a car video that will tell us more. What we know is that the perps got the drop on them and fired first.

The worse thing about this incident is that it makes a million more police triggers itchy. The police will see this as threat that the next person they stop may be packing heat ... as I'm sure has become more and more prevalent with the proliferation of open carry and stand your ground laws.

These laws make the suggestion that it is not only 'okay' but it is good that civilians should be armed as they go about their every day activities.

Tthat is the crux and I feel at the root of the shootings of unarmed individuals.

The bottom line is that when the police operate under the assumption that everyone is armed and dangerous, they shoot first and ask questions later.

I don't believe in carry laws because it popularizes that everyone is carrying. This leaves it to the imagination of the police how many of those whom they stop want to shoot and kill anyone who gets in their way. If they assume 'everyone' ... no civilian, armed or unarmed, can be safe.

These laws would be more honest if they had titles like "The scratching your nose is a reason to be shot and killed by police act."

It has to be sobering for all of us in Georgia to grasp that our chances of dying from a gun shot is higher than an automobile accident. (See the story in yesterdays AJC)

gundeathsexceedtrafficdeaths.JPG

It is no coincidence that the proliferation of open carry laws coincide with the increasing police state violence and increase in the total number of gun-related deaths in our state.

Oh, and for the record, yathink ... I have a lot fewer questions when the police shoot armed persons; my problem is when their victims are the unarmed and their targets are the unarmed people's backs.

pubby

In regard outrage ... I think we do need to know a bit more. For instance, I would assume both officers were wearing vests. Was the ammo used by the perps metal-jacketed rounds that penetrated the vests ... that the NRA is so insistent that this kind of ammunition remains on the market and easily available is something I could be outraged about in this instance.

First, ythink, I started the topic

Second, a lot of people say stupid things all the time. I'm 99 percent sure that if the circumstances of the shooting were better known and understood, the girl would not only regret her comments but retract them.

The dynamic that is in play in this is that there are bad people out there. The perps in this case were armed. Had the police prevailed, they would have obviously been justified. How the shooting went down ... well there may be a car video that will tell us more. What we know is that the perps got the drop on them and fired first.

The worse thing about this incident is that it makes a million more police triggers itchy. The police will see this as threat that the next person they stop may be packing heat ... as I'm sure has become more and more prevalent with the proliferation of open carry and stand your ground laws.

These laws make the suggestion that it is not only 'okay' but it is good that civilians should be armed as they go about their every day activities.

Tthat is the crux and I feel at the root of the shootings of unarmed individuals.

The bottom line is that when the police operate under the assumption that everyone is armed and dangerous, they shoot first and ask questions later.

I don't believe in carry laws because it popularizes that everyone is carrying. This leaves it to the imagination of the police how many of those whom they stop want to shoot and kill anyone who gets in their way. If they assume 'everyone' ... no civilian, armed or unarmed, can be safe.

These laws would be more honest if they had titles like "The scratching your nose is a reason to be shot and killed by police act."

It has to be sobering for all of us in Georgia to grasp that our chances of dying from a gun shot is higher than an automobile accident. (See the story in yesterdays AJC)

attachicon.gifgundeathsexceedtrafficdeaths.JPG

It is no coincidence that the proliferation of open carry laws coincide with the increasing police state violence and increase in the total number of gun-related deaths in our state.

Oh, and for the record, yathink ... I have a lot fewer questions when the police shoot armed persons; my problem is when their victims are the unarmed and their targets are the unarmed people's backs.

pubby

In regard outrage ... I think we do need to know a bit more. For instance, I would assume both officers were wearing vests. Was the ammo used by the perps metal-jacketed rounds that penetrated the vests ... that the NRA is so insistent that this kind of ammunition remains on the market and easily available is something I could be outraged about in this instance.

No way on the itchy fingers. This will make the police even more hesitate to do their jobs with all the over the top outrage coming from the left. I think the last 2 killings of officers were a direct result of being afraid of losing their jobs or worse, and hesitating to defend themselves. On your last comment, one cop was shot in the face and since we wouldn't want the bad police to wear riot gear...he died. Fact of the matter, we and cops are both much more likely to be killed by black men than by police. But, that's a taboo subject and mustn't be discussed for fear of offending someone with the truth. And, yes of course all of this is the NRA's fault. That's what the elites say as they're being protected by armed security. Just look at who surrounds Sharpton.

• Like 1

This type of view is what the media is fueling. It will only get worse. This race baiting is making some think this is a view point that is so socially accepted it can be freely shared. Tell people they are victims long enough and they will believe it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/subway-employee-celebrates-cops-death-facebook-article-1.2217230

A Subway sandwich worker who hailed the murders of two Mississippi police officers on social media faced a fierce online backlash Sunday — and got canned from her job. Sierra (C-Babi) Mccurdy wrote on Facebook, “2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!” according to screen grabs circulating online. “Got em.”

Infuriating people further was another message Mccrudy wrote on Facebook:

'We can turn this bxtch into Baltimore real quick,' she posted. 'Police take away innocent people lives everyday now & get away w/ it, fxck them…[no mercy].'

Thousands of tweets and Facebook posts demanding a response from the company began to appear almost instantly after her post, the Clarion-Ledger reported. By Sunday night, the popular sandwich chain had handed Mccurdy her walking papers. A Subway spokesman said: 'This kind of behavior is unacceptable and does not represent the values and ethics of our brand. The unfortunate choice of one individual should not reflect on the more than 400,000 honest, hardworking Sandwich Artists worldwide. The franchisee has terminated the employee, effective immediately.'

288A788F00000578-0-image-a-24_1431292758

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 1

The travesty of social media is that anyone would care what a sandwich artist from a small Mississippi town has to say.

Apriori, we know all that they know about the incident from a factual point of view is that two people - LEO - died.

All it does show is that there is a portion of the world out there who is hostile to police, which is a significant part of government.

And when I think about people who are hostile to government I am amazed that those on the far right object to furthering the meme that government is bad since they've dedicated their lives since Nov. 8, 2008 to fostering general distrust in government.

I will say that the overall attitude that we, as a nation comprising five percent of the people but imprisoning 25 percent of the world's inmates seems to obviously flawed as an approach to justice that I'm glad, finally, that some of the right apparently are rethinking their approach to the criminal justice system.

Indeed, I think the fault with the attitudes of those like the former sandwich artist to the protesters in Baltimore or Ferguson and elsewhere is based on a faulty strategy on the part of government in that they looked to the criminal justice system to do things it is incapable of doing ... just as we have looked at the military with awe and chosen to give it tasks it is both unsuited for and incapable of accomplishing.

Ultimately, I think the fault lies with a battery of misconceived notions of what these institutions are capable of accomplishing and what they aren't and we need to rethink the whole shebang.

Part of the road to recovery requires those on the far right and libertarian right to come back from the la-la land of all government and all taxes are bad. The other part is to focus on justice and the third part is to for those on the left to recognize that there is no magical money wand that will make all things right with a whip of the wrist.

The point is that while things will never be perfect, they can be better for all concerned including the taxpayer.

pubby