Paulding.com

Paulding.com is 'politically' hot

Politics is a hot-button topic on Paulding.com and the importance of the publics' business in its forums is pretty much a given. However, a new 'metric' studied by the Internet metric's firm Quantcast.com shows that the subject matter does have traction ... and importance amongst local readers.

Below are two charts. The first ... political affiliation shows that Pcom's audience is actually largely independent.

pcomindependent.JPG

The more important chart, though is the one that establishes that of the average 20,000 monthly visitors, participation in the political life of the community is broad, with 77% being either somewhat active or active.

politicalparticipation.JPG

I'm pretty sure none of the information comes as a surprise but here it is in black and white (something that seems to impress some folks; maybe even some from Missouri.)

pubby

Thank you for the information Pubby. You are obviously doing a great job - I mean people keep coming back day after day after day. How can you argue with that? Really.........you can't.

I know we don't all agree on every issue but it is refreshing and educating to hear other's points of views on not only local issues, but also statewide and national issues.

Thank you Pubby for being proactive and realizing that your site could and does do a great service for our community. I wish for your many, many more years of success in this endeavor.

• Like 2

The first ... political affiliation shows that Pcom's audience is actually largely independent. pubby

How did you determine that? Is there a political affiliation field I am not seeing in the profiles?

How did you determine that? Is there a political affiliation field I am not seeing in the profiles?

First off, I didn't determine that.

Second, welcome to BIG DATA ...

See, the NSA is not the only folks that are gobbling up the cookies on your computer (when they are set, not searching your computer directly.) Big data sucks in the information and using a variety of analytical tools (like the NSA) big data firms are able to ascertain that you were looking at VOIP phones and all you see when you go anywhere are ads served by google adsense offering to sell you VOIP phones. (I did this search so when I go to xfinity or yahoo or the NYTimes or Denver Post ... about anywhere ... all I see these days are VOIP phone ads ... )

Because these companies collect that information as well as information from drudge, democratic underground, political candidate sites, the pages you might read on the NYTIMes, Wapo, AJC - ever read Jim Galloway, and Big Data knows. It really is creepy.

But we don't collect that data and have no control over big data. All we do is tap into it to see what it says about us.

As far as the discussion regarding the NSA and private 'BIG DATA' - if you read my posts on those subjects, particularly when the Snowden revelations were made last year, know that I was saying you ought to be more concerned about BIG DATA because those folks are working 24/7 trying to get in your pocket.

Know I've avoided being sucked up as best as I can. For instance, you won't see adsense ads on here.

pubby

PS: Other than those who have self-professed their political affiliation on pcom - I mean I ran for Post 2 as a Democrat so that affiliation is no secret and wasn't before I ran either - I don't collect that information in any usable way - I.e. I don't have a list of Democrats on pcom (or Republicans).

PPS: I am a democrat but I am also a strong supporter of the 'two party system' and think that is better than the current dominate one-party system that has been the tradition in the south. I feel this way because, as you'll see, there will be but one locally contested race - that for POST 2 - this coming election day. This state of affairs effectively disenfranchises about 85-90 percent of the voters they will not have a choice on Nov. 4th; the nomination for all but that one race having been decided by the GOP primary last June.

The more important chart, though is the one that establishes that of the average 20,000 monthly visitors, participation in the political life of the community is broad, with 77% being either somewhat active or active.

If by 'community' you mean P.com - please explain this: 20,000 montly visitors with 77% participating means 15,400 unique members participating each month. Where are these members?

• Like 2

If by 'community' you mean P.com - please explain this: 20,000 montly visitors with 77% participating means 15,400 unique members participating each month. Where are these members?

Makes you go "Hmmmm".

I read or heard somewhere that 77% of all statistics are made up by someone?

• Like 1

The vast majority of people who check the site are too afraid of being ridiculed by folks like you ABR or cmorg ... with the reputation going back some time ...

I copied the audience online moments ago: It said:

22 members, 104 visitors and 7 anonymous users

When you consider the tone - I believe you've been less than kind to me and I've returned the favor over the years. Many people are averse to that kind of confrontation.

I read or heard somewhere that 77% of all statistics are made up by someone?

Hey, check out quantcast.com ... If I was so slick as to get them to lie about pcom, I figure it would be a cakewalk for me to convince everyone that I won office last June and I'll be taking office in January (not).

Mojo ... I understand numbers and audience and those kinds of things and recognize the validity of social science research methods. I know the word science is a tough one for conservatives who look around and see the computer, see themselves and think they are the only person really there. I don't understand the problem those on the right have with science but it is looking pretty much across the board.

Here's a tip, though - physics can be your friend.

pubby

The vast majority of people who check the site are too afraid of being ridiculed by folks like you ABR or cmorg ... with the reputation going back some time ...

I copied the audience online moments ago: It said:

22 members, 104 visitors and 7 anonymous users

When you consider the tone - I believe you've been less than kind to me and I've returned the favor over the years. Many people are averse to that kind of confrontation.

Mojo ... I understand numbers and audience and those kinds of things and recognize the validity of social science research methods. I know the word science is a tough one for conservatives who look around and see the computer, see themselves and think they are the only person really there. I don't understand the problem those on the right have with science but it is looking pretty much across the board.

Here's a tip, though - physics can be your friend.

pubby

Chill out a little Pubby, I intended it as some good natured ribbing with my friend Mark David.

I'm sure you will be surprised, but I happen to agree with the study 77%.