Paulding.com

I'm looking at a neat idea but want to get feedback first

My friend, (and business capital partner) wants to set up a site domain, in which I can field small engine questions for a small fee. Has anyone on here ever ran such a site? I think it's a great idea, as well as she does, but I wanted to research it some more before she drops money on a domain and whatever fee may apply in setting this up. Questions I have are mostly, profitability, and my required availability to field questions in a timely manner.

Any input into this would be a big help. Meanwhile.......bring me your sick, or dying mowers, so that I might repair them to your satisfaction. :)

Thanks!!

Subby/Glenn/Stubby/Snubby/Scooby/etc.

678-315-8794

My friend, (and business capital partner) wants to set up a site domain, in which I can field small engine questions for a small fee. Has anyone on here ever ran such a site? I think it's a great idea, as well as she does, but I wanted to research it some more before she drops money on a domain and whatever fee may apply in setting this up. Questions I have are mostly, profitability, and my required availability to field questions in a timely manner.

Any input into this would be a big help. Meanwhile.......bring me your sick, or dying mowers, so that I might repair them to your satisfaction. :)

Thanks!!

Subby/Glenn/Stubby/Snubby/Scooby/etc.

678-315-8794

There are numbers of sites that are dedicated to various automobile brands and repairs thereof. Some are staffed by pros as mods and experts and the general public can chime in with answers. None of the ones I have looked at were fee based. There may be something like this in the small engines arena.

I frankly doubt this would be a profitable venture. Generating the volume of inquiries, handling the payments, etc., would be very time consuming and given the fairly low price of small engines, a person could almost replace the engine or the entire machine if the fee for answering the question plus the parts required was too high. And if the price is low for the answer, you don't make any money.

• Like 1

Hi Subby,

I second the above comment. You'd spend time going back and forth for what? If a customer really wants a lawn mower/small engine repair, they will bring it to you. If they don't like your estimate of repair then they can go buy new or do whatever without any issues. You want the business, not the headaches of a website.

If you advise someone who is untrained and they take it upon themselves to TRY and repair and get injured-what is your reliability-or LIABILITY?

Nuff said?

Terrible idea honestly.

For one there are sites like:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

That covers all brands of tractors, mowers, and include small engine repairs.

Also a slew of other DIY forums with pros and hobbiests exist out there.

Along with the static About.com style Q and A sites and others where folks lurk those types of forums and post up good write-up and step-by-step answers other users provide, and I think they get some sort of payment or something for doing so.

In other words, almost always, if someone has a question about something mechanical like that the answer is already available out there on the web.

Edited by Beats Working

This would be a great idea in 1950 when repairs were costly and people worked on their own machines. (Of course then there'd be the absence of computers and the interwebz. :D ) Unfortunately, I don't think it'd get much traction.

Yeah. Not gonna work.

Google is your friend.

My 6.75 Briggs and Stratton won't start. Any ideas?

Solves in 3 replies. For free.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg0623051822329.html?4

And pretty much every manual you can think of is available free online with a little digging.

http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/

Edited by Cranemec

Subby,

I don't think it is a bad idea, however, youtube may be your better medium. Demonstration videos are going to get you more exposure.

With your drafting experience you could develop a practical DIY guide OR offer more detailed videos for a fee. Or just offer free content and try to create advert income.

• Like 1

YouTube is a great idea! I have learned about everything from crochet stitches to how to close and open a pool with YouTube videos. And you could see what others are doing re: advertising, etc. Great idea, satellite!

Also, if you have enough subscribers on YouTube then there are sponsorships available to help generate revenue in exchange for the right to advertise on your posts. It requires dedication to consistently making new videos that will appeal to a wide market, however some people do make a great deal of money going this route.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72851?hl=en

• Like 1

BTW, Subby, you must use the moniker "Machine Whisperer" if it's available. You don't even have to pay me any royalties. ;)

That's good panda! :good:

• Like 1

Thanks for the input folks. As one poster said, "google is your friend"....The idea is primarily my finance partner's idea. Rather than dismiss the idea outright, I can direct her to this thread. She has some other great ideas, and is really wanting me to succeed, and I appreciate that. The last thing I'd want is for her to invest money in something that won't give her a return. I believe this is one of those ideas that would not help her at all. Thanks folks! :)