Paulding.com

Physics PHD charged with attempting to blow up pentagon

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/us/massachusetts-man-accused-of-plotting-to-bomb-washington.html

The story is this. A Muslim who is both well educated (phd in physics) and an American citizen has been charged with attempting to send RC controlled small aircraft presumably designed to carry a payload of 25 pounds of C-4 was arrested today by the FBI.

What is particularly disturbing is that this guy was not engaged in terrorist activities until 2010.

He was supplying FBI informants, including some with criminal records, with cell phones rigged as detonators and was using the FBI to source, among other things, the large F85 RC aircraft which he intended to fly into the Pentagon.

pubby

I had heard that NYC had banned remote-controlled aircraft during the 9/11 anniversary timeframe and wondered what that was all about. Guess this is why.

This is another example of the untruth of the myth that all these terrorists want to kill us because they're poor and impoverished, uneducated, downtrodden, whatever. I don't know what his motivation is (I can guess), but he's clearly not on the bottom rung of anybody's ladder.

Given the regularity with which such comments are made on this board I'd like to just go ahead and ask: what does it add to the discussion?

Right...absolutely nothing.

Some Muslims are terrorists intent on harming Americans. Some are not.

Some born-and-bred American citizens are terrorists intent on harming Americans. Some are not.

Is it that difficult to see others as individuals?

I guess it is, given the amount of time we spend communicating with people whose Identity we often don't know and face we never have to see.

Given the regularity with which such comments are made on this board I'd like to just go ahead and ask: what does it add to the discussion?

Right...absolutely nothing.

Some Muslims are terrorists intent on harming Americans. Some are not.

Some born-and-bred American citizens are terrorists intent on harming Americans. Some are not.

Is it that difficult to see others as individuals?

I guess it is, given the amount of time we spend communicating with people whose Identity we often don't know and face we never have to see.

You may not be curious but I am. I have wondered about the women from radical countries who come here just to have their babies and then go home immediately afterward. Why do that? Just to get the benefits of being an American citizen for their children or for even deeper reasons. Yep, I am curious.