Paulding.com

Heat causes postponement of schools 'outdoor activitives' until 6 PM Wednesday and Thursday

Heat causes postponement of schools 'outdoor activitives' until 6 PM Wednesday and Thursday

The current heat wave, with temperatures above 95 degrees Fahrenheit, has school athletic and safety Director postponing outdoor school activities such as football or band practices until at least 6 pm today and tomorrow. School staff, student athletes and others participating in school programs have rescheduled their after school outdoor activities to comply with Colvard's directive.

It was 106 degrees at the Ben Hill Park on 92 in Hiram...heat index had it over 115 degrees. It's hard to even breath outside it. I wish they would let the kids start back to school the day after Labor Day like they used to so that they wouldn't have to deal with such extreme heat. Shelby told me that they didn't go outside because of the heat today...I think there will be many more to come like that.

Agreed, 6:00 is still hot but thank God they acknowledged the danger in some way. Didn't catch the details but I just saw on the news (was it yesterday?) that yet another teen had died due to heat stroke after slipping into a coma for a week. SO NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I abhore lawsuits but I hope the family sues the pants off of the establishment that forced this type of training...if it was done with the same carelessness that is typical of the sport. Maybe the pocketbook would make a difference since precious lives don't seem to.

Our son needs exercise but we were very relieved that he chose not to play football. That seems to be the sport that has the least concern for the safety of the kids in regards to heat. Pile them down with all that crap in the middle of summer training then send them out in the stifling heat and humidity and tell them to suck it up if they want to be part of the team. Just asking for serious trouble.

Sorry. I tend to rant over disregard for childrens' lives.

P.S. So many reasons to start after Labor Day. This being another one. We've had concerns about the heat on the bus in the afternoons. Last year we were told the kids could not even open the windows on busses that have no a/c! Bus broke down twice in the hottest part of this "newer" school year. The neighbor and dh went and picked up as many kids as they could. The rest looked like they were ready to pass out. A/C cost in the buildings has to be unreal, too. And don't whine to me about the heat cost would be just as much. They go in the winter either way. Who was it on here that loved the idea of starting back in summer?