Paulding.com

Other small business owners HELP!

So, the time has come to hire an employee... just a part timer to start. I don't fear picking the right person but I need help how to legally do it! Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated letting me know the legal steps of hiring an employee. Thanks!

Same here...I've learned some nice tricks over my 4 year ownership. Would be glad to help you.

OK: for us it is a little different, but here is my file check list:

□ DOT Physical Card

□ Copy of Driver’s License

□ Blank Voided Check to set up Direct Deposit

□ Signed Employee Handbook Receipt

□ Signed Offer of Employment Letter

□ Completed G-4

□ Completed W-4

□ Completed Form I-9

□ E-Verify Confirmation

If you want to do it legal, you have to take taxes and your company has to match. Let me know what other questions you have and GOOD LUCK!!

My DD owns a business and doesn't hire "employees" per se... she contracts her help. If you contract your work out you don't have the headache of taking taxes out of their pay. They get a simple 1099 at the end of the year and they are responsible for the taxes. However, they are in a field where they require numerous items and travel to perform their job. They have many deductions to help out with taxes.

She has a contract of what she expects from them as far as their performance, rules, dress code, work behavior, sick days/days off, etc, basically like a handbook. She signs it, they sign it, and it's notarized. They get a copy for their files and she keeps the original. They also have to sign an injury waiver. So far, it's worked very well for all concerned.

Congrats on needing an employee....sounds like things are going well. :good: