Paulding.com

Clark ambulance update, Paulding GOP, Drugs at local HS.

So. Lemme get this straight. Clark's has been providing ambulance service to the county since July 1 without a contract with the county and no payments since the end of June?

[/

I think he is due some money, and I wonder how much Puckett is putting in Graham's pocket.

You don't think the county has a right to verify the use of the funds provided?

The audit has been asked for many times over the years. Provide it or no more subsidy. It is as simple as that. The county taxpayer has probably given at least 2 million dollars to this private firm over the years with no accountability.

I think he is due some money, and I wonder how much Puckett is putting in Graham's pocket.

If there is no contract in place then why would any payments be due? The way I undestood the comments is that the previous contact expired over the summer.

You don't think the county has a right to verify the use of the funds provided?

The audit has been asked for many times over the years. Provide it or no more subsidy. It is as simple as that. The county taxpayer has probably given at least 2 million dollars to this private firm over the years with no accountability.

If there is no contract in place then why would any payments be due? The way I undestood the comments is that the previous contact expired over the summer.

I didn't make any comment about verifying funds, so I don't know if this is directed at my comments. however, I was simply pointing out that the same level of service has apparently been offered the county almost 4 months after a contract had expired. I don't know why the contract wasn't in place. But it would appear that the county had actually put Sam in a bad place because of this. Did the county contract require any accountability? It's paying for a service. The service has been there. My guess is that an audit would show that the county needs to provide more funding than it's current level.

Clark was given the EMS Zone by the local EMS council. The county has no obligatin to make any payments. Clark has taken on the business risk of providing service and making a profit from that service. The county has, in good faith, provided fuel and monetary subsidy in an effort to help Clark increase service levels and provide additional staffing. We'd have to pull the RLS response times reported to the state from 2005-2010 to see if we have any ROI on the subsidy. My guess is that the response times have stayed flat or actually increased.

Edited by FreeBird

Clark was given the EMS Zone by the local EMS council. The county has no obligatin to make any payments. Clark has taken on the business risk of providing service and making a profit from that service. The county has, in good faith, provided fuel and monetary subsidy in an effort to help Clark increase service levels and provide additional staffing. We'd have to pull the RLS response times reported to the state from 2005-2010 to see if we have any ROI on the subsidy. My guess is that the response times have stayed flat or actually increased.

As stated before--Clark has provided the County with this service WITHOUT a contract. Yes. the County has provided the fuel, but that is a very minor expense to running an ambulance service. Wonder how many emergency transport calls they have run since June and have not received payment for??? My bet would be an average of 50 per month and they have maybe received payment for maybe 1/4 of them--of they are lucky.

Clark holds the EMS zone and I do not believe any contract is required between it and the county. Clark simply has to staff 1 ALS unit to cover the zone. That's it.

In an effort to help Clark provide a higher level of service and care, the county has provided funds over the past 5 years or so. It is not designated for indigent care nor is the county billed for deadbeats that can't/won't pay.

It is very simple. Provide independent audit of the business and then additional subsidy, if warranted, can be discussed.

I have requested RLS data from the state and we'll get to see if we have realized any ROI from the subsidy.

Clark holds the EMS zone and I do not believe any contract is required between it and the county. Clark simply has to staff 1 ALS unit to cover the zone. That's it.

In an effort to help Clark provide a higher level of service and care, the county has provided funds over the past 5 years or so. It is not designated for indigent care nor is the county billed for deadbeats that can't/won't pay.

It is very simple. Provide independent audit of the business and then additional subsidy, if warranted, can be discussed.

I have requested RLS data from the state and we'll get to see if we have realized any ROI from the subsidy.

Incorrect. I know you've had converations in the past with Region One, I'm assuming with David Lofton, but you're wrong about this. There has to be a minimum of FOUR trucks running in the county. And, what makes you think response times have increased? Just curious.

I have requested the RLS data from the state so we will see the facts and if we did, in fact, receive any return on the investment the county made into EMS service.

The expired contract with the county for the subsidy funds may require 4 trucks, but I do not believe in order to hold the zone there has to be more than one. I have that one in writing but it is several years old and may have changed. So, to clarify, in order to be an EMS zone holder, you must have 1 ALS truck on duty. Clark may have a contract to provide 4, but I do not think that would be with the state and a requirement to hold the zone.

I would like to know Freebird...if you know the law that I have mentioned before...that a county that has only one service....must provide money for indigent care. We have one service, so whether it is Clark or Puckett or Metro...we must provide. Forget the times, lets answer this question...I do not want the county to take over this service. Have you been through Polk County lately, they are out...and both Floyd and Redmond have units there....so when you do this response research, why not look up what a county is required to do, regardless of which service has the zone.

I do not believe the county is responsible for all indigent care. I do recall line items in the budget for "indigent care" maybe for the hospital and/or EMS service, but I don't think the county would be required to pick up the tab once the budgeted item is used up. The responsible payers normally pick up the slack of deadbeats, right?

With any business you have to plan on dealing with people that do not pay their bills. The county has provided a subsidy to help Clark provide good service. It is obvious that they are having money problems due to deadbeats per the interview given my Mr. Clark.

I just don't think it is my (taxpayer) responsible to help them out until I know where the last $400,000 (and all the previous years too) went.

If it is established that the company is doing all they are able to do, have effective cost cutting measures in place, effective manpower usage (out sourcing billing, for instance) and still can't stay affloat without an increased subsidy, then I will support it.

I do not believe the county is responsible for all indigent care. I do recall line items in the budget for "indigent care" maybe for the hospital and/or EMS service, but I don't think the county would be required to pick up the tab once the budgeted item is used up. The responsible payers normally pick up the slack of deadbeats, right?

With any business you have to plan on dealing with people that do not pay their bills. The county has provided a subsidy to help Clark provide good service. It is obvious that they are having money problems due to deadbeats per the interview given my Mr. Clark.

I just don't think it is my (taxpayer) responsible to help them out until I know where the last $400,000 (and all the previous years too) went.

If it is established that the company is doing all they are able to do, have effective cost cutting measures in place, effective manpower usage (out sourcing billing, for instance) and still can't stay affloat without an increased subsidy, then I will support it.

I don't if you know it, but Keith Puckett, Steves brother, was director of Clarks, until he was fired

last week. Looks like this should have happened a long time ago. Yes Cobb pays a poetion of the

indigent care, so why should Paulding not pay? Have you really check to see what the other counties

are paying? I think Sam may get out of this mess. Had he had a Director that cared, H might not be in

this mess.

Just yesterday they had a wreck with 5 injured, this took 2 ambulances, they called Puckett. Later in t day Clark had to help Puckett. I won't say with what. This happens all the time. Somtimes they go to

Harrelson county to help them.

Please tell me how one ambulance could cover the entire county. I think Sam might like for you to

tell him too, This could have been in the 50s and 60s, but no way now. He is required to have 4, but

thought he would do us a favor, and add another one. I think he us trying to cover the county.