Paulding.com

Thoughts on the BOE SPLOST on the Nov 2nd Ballot?

BOE SPLOST  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How are you voting on the SPLOST?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't decided
    • Don't live in Paulding

Another thing we have in common yahoo.gif

When my student's or I have requested materials for years, we have always been assisted. I know that everything is NOT perfect everywhere and I do care that there may be issues to resolve whether my kids or my district is involved.

I encourage parents to just get involved and ask the school for help. Give them a chance to assist blush.gif

My Grandchildren didn't either until they reached Middle School.

The wording is due to legal regulations and if you have specific questions please address them to our school district lawyer, superintendent, and if more comfortable, your board members. Please remember that as a board member, I can not suggest how one should vote. I do however want everyone to ask questions and educate himself/herself and express the decision at the ballot box. <Snip>

The BOE did not increase the mileage rate this year even with all the cuts we have experienced in education.

Hi Kim -

Yes, many of us noticed that you didn't raise the rate and appreciate it, though I myself would have understood if felt you had to. :)

I also realize that you cannot come out and directly support voting for or against SPLOST. I also understand that some words have specific legal meaning and have to be used to describe the legal limits on the vote..

Unfortunately, most of us are NOT lawyers and the wording of the $35 million section (below) is confusing and that makes it bothersome to me. I hope I have not come across as attacking with this thread, I have not meant to be, but I fail to see how explaining in layman's terms what the legalese means could be considered campaigning one way or the other, it's just information. Unfortunately, for this board, much like past boards, getting information out to the public is a lost art.

(i) financing capital outlays for the maintenance, renovation,

completion, construction and expansion of new and existing school facilities, and (ii) acquiring any property necessary or desirable therefore, both real and personal, the maximum cost of such projects not to exceed $35,462,750.50?"

Let's face it, if the Board can't tell us what the heck it means when they voted to put it on the ballot, then I'm really worried and will definitely be voting no! :o

As far as contacting people at the board, it's kinda hard to do since they took off all the email addresses for anyone from the web site. All is there is an address and the phone number.

Now, really, do you *really* want 10,000 people trying to call and asking for the county lawyer and using 20 minutes of his/her time each to explain the meaning of the above? *THAT* would be a MAJOR waste of Taxpayer money!! Why not just have the lawyer write up a real world explanation once and put it on the BOE site if this one is too politically charged?

Based on most of it, I want to vote for this, but I will NOT support another vague blank check. Show me this isn't one, and I can make my decision.

Thanks,

SG

• Like 1

You're kidding! The entire Board needs to resign. They spend $ millions on a new gym for the kids to play basketball in, yet students don't have books? I know certain funds can only be used for capital projects, but in the grand scheme of things, folks see money being spent here and money being spent there, yet Little Susie doesn't have school books....Do you see a problem with that?

We've been burned by the BOE in the past and we're crazy if we give them more money to burn us again.

VOTE NO to giving those vultures even one penny.

Angel Eyes, I understand your frustration, but you may be barking up the wrong tree. Do we all need to pay attention to what is going on? Yes. But telling them all they need to be fired, is NOT the way to go about it. I would not want to be fired for something that happened before I was hired at my job. That doesnt make much sense, does it?

As far as the school books go...maybe its time to get up to the digital age and move forward from actual paper books. My children are doing just fine with A's and B's...and they are learning! If there is a subject that they need more assistance on, we look it up online. There is far more information available online, than ANY school could ever purchase and have on hand. Before you tell me that not every parent can afford internet....its less than $1.00 per day for a great internet service. How much money do you think these same parents would be paying either through property taxes or SPLOST for all these books you want? In a perfect world, all the children could have books, laptops, and every other supply given to them. But this isnt a perfect world, and PARENTS need to do what it takes for THEIR child to learn the subjects being taught in school.

Angel Eyes, I understand your frustration, but you may be barking up the wrong tree. Do we all need to pay attention to what is going on? Yes. But telling them all they need to be fired, is NOT the way to go about it. I would not want to be fired for something that happened before I was hired at my job. That doesnt make much sense, does it?

As far as the school books go...maybe its time to get up to the digital age and move forward from actual paper books. My children are doing just fine with A's and B's...and they are learning! If there is a subject that they need more assistance on, we look it up online. There is far more information available online, than ANY school could ever purchase and have on hand. Before you tell me that not every parent can afford internet....its less than $1.00 per day for a great internet service. How much money do you think these same parents would be paying either through property taxes or SPLOST for all these books you want? In a perfect world, all the children could have books, laptops, and every other supply given to them. But this isnt a perfect world, and PARENTS need to do what it takes for THEIR child to learn the subjects being taught in school.

You can also use the computers at the libraries for internet access. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just b/c there is no initial breakdown on the ballot, the SPLOST Dept has to SHOW their breakdown when it's presented to the Board.

Yes, we are seeing that $35,462,750.50 has been dog-eared for "financing capital outlays for the maintenance, renovation, completion, construction and expansion of new and existing school facilities, and (ii) acquiring any property necessary or desirable therefore, both real and personal, the maximum cost of such projects", but there is a greater break-down that is presented by the SPLOST Dept showing how EVERY penny will be spent.

By law, if they say, "$750.50 will be used for astro-turf at East Paulding High School", they CANNOT use it for something else/somewhere else (no "bait and switch").

I'd also like to add that just b/c $35,462,750.50 is marked for SPLOST, if they don't raise it, they can't spend it (have to have Board Approval for a loan/advancement).

Edited by Epiphany