Paulding.com

To Save You Money and Save Me Time...a few words...

If you have one of these items, and they were relatively inexpensive, it would do you good to just go get another one instead of trying to get them fixed (unless maybe it's just a cracked fuel line).

The market is flooded with "disposable" trimmers, blowers, etc. Just an example would be, a LOT of models take more labor time to just replace the pull rope than the machine is worth. There are also "zero emission" type carbs hitting the market that only have a 30% success rate of rebuilding, requiring a new carb (and some of the NEW ones are defective too).

I am saying this to sort of educate consumers about these things. If you pay $70-80 for a gas trimmer, that's exactly what you're buying. Run it till it dies, then chunk it. I hate seeing people lose money on trying to have me fix "some" items. Not all are bad though...

Any of these things that cost you over 200 or more, are probably serviceable. Some back-pack blowers costing $600 (usually used by landscapers or someone with a REALLY BIG yard and driveway) are things that are definitely worth having repaired. They are designed to be repaired and maintained. The cheapy stuff is not. It's simply the manufacturer's way of dimming repairs on their items. In their eyes, it's more beneficial to them to design something that will last for X amount of hours, die off just after the warranty expires, and then have you come back to buy another one. Make no mistake- most of these machines are Chinese now...do the math! :lol:

Having said that, here's a list of some of the BETTER machines for you to consider, if you're looking at buying something new:

Shindaiwa

Husquavarna

Stihl

Echo (in some cases)***

*** in all these cases, check the carburetor for idle adjusting screws (usually red and white caps or blue and white) If there is no adjustments like this...back away. These carbs are extremely problematic!! (0 emissions I described above)

In time I will post more "good vs. bad" tips for you guys. It helps you make a better purchase, and it saves me the heartbreak of telling people they got ripped off. ;)

Finally, I am only taking in higher end equipment like this. (regarding 2-stroke small engines)BUT ALL MOWERS are more than welcome!! Even the crappiest push mower can usually be renovated for $70-80!! Riding mowers a bit more, but still much less than buying a new one. ;)

This has been another public service announcement by your friendly, neighborhood mower-man. :)

How kind of you to post this, because this could be taking money right out of your pocket. You really are a decent guy, of course I already know that!!clapping.gif

Yes, this is very valuable information for anyone who owns or plans to own a device with a small gasoline engine.

How kind of you to post this, because this could be taking money right out of your pocket. You really are a decent guy, of course I already know that!!:clapping:

Not really so much, since the labor vs. the cost of the machine, it's VERY difficult to make any money on repairing these things. I mean sometimes, it can be a quick fix, but all too often it is NOT. And it's hard to justify charging more than the thing is worth, so most times I end up LOSING money on them.

This thread serves everyone (me included) by allowing me more time to work on "serviceable" equipment, rather than wasting my time and my customer's money.

Thanks for the kind words, however! :)

If you have one of these items, and they were relatively inexpensive, it would do you good to just go get another one instead of trying to get them fixed (unless maybe it's just a cracked fuel line).

The market is flooded with "disposable" trimmers, blowers, etc. Just an example would be, a LOT of models take more labor time to just replace the pull rope than the machine is worth. There are also "zero emission" type carbs hitting the market that only have a 30% success rate of rebuilding, requiring a new carb (and some of the NEW ones are defective too).

I am saying this to sort of educate consumers about these things. If you pay $70-80 for a gas trimmer, that's exactly what you're buying. Run it till it dies, then chunk it. I hate seeing people lose money on trying to have me fix "some" items. Not all are bad though...

Any of these things that cost you over 200 or more, are probably serviceable. Some back-pack blowers costing $600 (usually used by landscapers or someone with a REALLY BIG yard and driveway) are things that are definitely worth having repaired. They are designed to be repaired and maintained. The cheapy stuff is not. It's simply the manufacturer's way of dimming repairs on their items. In their eyes, it's more beneficial to them to design something that will last for X amount of hours, die off just after the warranty expires, and then have you come back to buy another one. Make no mistake- most of these machines are Chinese now...do the math! laugh.gif

Having said that, here's a list of some of the BETTER machines for you to consider, if you're looking at buying something new:

Shindaiwa

Husquavarna

Stihl

Echo (in some cases)***

*** in all these cases, check the carburetor for idle adjusting screws (usually red and white caps or blue and white) If there is no adjustments like this...back away. These carbs are extremely problematic!! (0 emissions I described above)

In time I will post more "good vs. bad" tips for you guys. It helps you make a better purchase, and it saves me the heartbreak of telling people they got ripped off. wink.gif

Finally, I am only taking in higher end equipment like this. (regarding 2-stroke small engines)BUT ALL MOWERS are more than welcome!! Even the crappiest push mower can usually be renovated for $70-80!! Riding mowers a bit more, but still much less than buying a new one. wink.gif

This has been another public service announcement by your friendly, neighborhood mower-man. smile.gif

I agree with most,when I was in the grass cutting business only a good commercial grade. My preference was a Red max bower it moved bricks,then a Kawaski weed trimer then my back up was echo. For bush trimmers and chain saws it was stihl.

After I retire I will go back into it. I hope subby is still in business to keep my machines going.

I loved my Skagg mower it was a beast with a 14 HP Kawaski engine on it. So you do pay for what you get$$$