Paulding.com

Georgia Highway 92 - Public Hearing Open House

Georgia Highway 92 - Public Hearing Open House

Tuesday, June 29th; 5:00pm - 8:00pm and

Thursday, July 1st; 5:00pm - 8:00pm

Projects STP00-0186-01(011), CSSTP-0006-00(900)(901) and CSSTP-0007-00(691), in Douglas and Paulding Counties, is a proposal to widen and realign State Route (SR) 92/Fairburn Road and SR 92/Dallas Highway from just south of Durelee Lane in Douglas County to Nebo Road in Paulding County and the construction of three grade-separated structures at the proposed SR 92 intersections with US 78/Bankhead Highway, the Norfolk Southern Railroad and East Strickland Street.

The proposed project would also include the relocation and upgrade of the existing at-grade railroad crossing at McCarley Street and the closing of three existing at-grade crossing in Downtown Douglasville; SR 92/Dallas Highway, Mozley Street and Brown Street.

That is a great project, and the changes in downtown Douglasville are way past needing to be done.

But... What about the 2 or 3 major projects for widening 92 from Hiram to the north that have been on the books and approved for 8 -10 years? Why are we spending money designing projects when we can't pay for the ones that are already to start construction?

there is one thing you need to know about the Douglasville project. The city of Douglasville and the County paid for the Engineering fees. DOT only is paying for the construction

So if Paulding wants to pony up the money for the design fees...I'm sure the design firm would love to do the work! :ninja:

there is one thing you need to know about the Douglasville project. The city of Douglasville and the County paid for the Engineering fees. DOT only is paying for the construction

So if Paulding wants to pony up the money for the design fees...I'm sure the design firm would love to do the work! ninja.gif

It's my understanding that all the design work was done for these projects, only the funding for actual construction and maybe more right-of-way purchases remains. I know some right-of-way was purchased 2-3 years ago. I don't know how much of it, but it was started, and then funds were cut. That is probably the result of the state capitol trying to punish our former representative, but no real proof of that.

So if Paulding wants to pony up the money for the design fees...I'm sure the design firm would love to do the work! :ninja:

Could it be that D'ville paid for an alternative plan to the original GDOT proposal? They had some unique challenges in downtown, and as I recall the original proposal looked somewhat like the Austell RR overpass.

There is already a proposed layout for phase 4 in Paulding County. Apparently some of the work was done by Jacobs in September of 2009 based on a design done by Carter-Burgess in 2007.

For those interested here is the latest layout by Jacobs in 2009

I'm sure that there is engineering to be done still, but why should Paulding County pay for the design or engineering of a State Highway unless they wanted to speed it up or wanted changes to the GDOT plan? Heck we are already saving them money with the new Old Harris Rd. bridge over the Silver Comet. It saved the GDOT a nightmare reconstruction at Windale and hwy 61. We also paid for the intersection improvements along Hwy 360. If GDOT can waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on new unneeded traffic lights along hwy 92 that will just be ripped out in a couple of years, then they can pay for the darn design .