Paulding.com

"Palm tree wont live here..."

I often think it is funny how many times I still hear that.... I found a couple of really good videos to show how hardy one species, the Trachycarpus is. The first video is the Princeps, a cousin of the popular windmill. The windmill comes from somewhat similiar regions of Asia, although not as rocky. People who wonder if they can handle rocky or clay soil should notice how they grown on this rock of a mt....BTW it gets into the 20's and lower for most of the winter there at the high elevations...

The second video is the common windmill and my favorite the needle palm (bushy and not trunk however, has survived 15 below zero!) growing in places that makes Dallas look like Miami... :lol:

I am glad to hear it!!....This has been a very bad winter for palms. Although all my cold hardy are doing good, a few of my personal "experiment" palms are struggling. All the cold hardy ones are use to it by now and are just wishing they were in Florida.. :rofl:

They are nice to look at on these yucky and cold days! :)

The palm I got from you several years ago is still living and we are enjoying it.

I am glad to hear it!!....This has been a very bad winter for palms. Although all my cold hardy are doing good, a few of my personal "experiment" palms are struggling. All the cold hardy ones are use to it by now and are just wishing they were in Florida.. :rofl:

They are nice to look at on these yucky and cold days! :)

They might not be able to tell the difference between Florida and Georgia this winter! My dad is in Hernando County, north of Tampa. He lost a coconut palm before the big freeze. He has amazed the county extention office in one way though, they told him no mangos would grow there and my dad was preparing for his second crop. He is right on the gulf so that does keep things a little warmer but he's bummed about the coconut palm. Any suggestions?

Yeah... My brother lives in Tampa and around him they have lost tons of palms. The problem is people push the boundaries of cold hardiness. I do it on some of my personal palms, but not in the ones I sell (however, you can always has a 100 year freeze and lose some, know matter how careful). In Florida the past decade nurseries have pushed and sold palms that might do ok for years, but when a bad snap, like this year comes, then you are gonna lose 80-90% of the exotics. The coconut palm will never be able to make it there long range, unless you want to invest the time to wrap it and protect it every winter. North of Tampa is probably a zone 9a growing area. While Coconuts CAN survive in a zone 9, they prefer 10 and higher. If the zone 9 was a constant he'd be fine, but their winter this year has been a zone 8a winter or so, and that is what ours here is. So they are well below average..They even struggle and die in Miami. It is just very difficult for them, just like the Date Palms I try and grow here. I guess the easiest way to say it is that "God didnt want them here:... :D

They might not be able to tell the difference between Florida and Georgia this winter! My dad is in Hernando County, north of Tampa. He lost a coconut palm before the big freeze. He has amazed the county extention office in one way though, they told him no mangos would grow there and my dad was preparing for his second crop. He is right on the gulf so that does keep things a little warmer but he's bummed about the coconut palm. Any suggestions?

Yeah... My brother lives in Tampa and around him they have lost tons of palms. The problem is people push the boundaries of cold hardiness. I do it on some of my personal palms, but not in the ones I sell (however, you can always has a 100 year freeze and lose some, know matter how careful). In Florida the past decade nurseries have pushed and sold palms that might do ok for years, but when a bad snap, like this year comes, then you are gonna lose 80-90% of the exotics. The coconut palm will never be able to make it there long range, unless you want to invest the time to wrap it and protect it every winter. North of Tampa is probably a zone 9a growing area. While Coconuts CAN survive in a zone 9, they prefer 10 and higher. If the zone 9 was a constant he'd be fine, but their winter this year has been a zone 8a winter or so, and that is what ours here is. So they are well below average..They even struggle and die in Miami. It is just very difficult for them, just like the Date Palms I try and grow here. I guess the easiest way to say it is that "God didnt want them here:... :D

thanks for the info and I'll pass it along. So far, his date palms are doing well, and they are the local raccoons favorite meal unfortunately! The house is on stilts and they have one right in front of the kitchen window, its sometimes a surprise to being doing dishes and see a raccoon in that palm right in front of your face! LOL. And you are right about the 100 year freeze. Have you heard about all the dead fish? The vultures are every where. One small lake had 15,000 lbs. of dead fish in it. Some of the mangroves died on the coast, but not all of them, thank goodness.

Yes and if you check the prices on tropical fish for aquariums you will see them shoot up soon. Millions of them died in fish farms in "tropical" Miami!

Yeah Date palms do great there. Beautiful palms thats historical roots are found in history are found throughout the Bible and other ancient text!

thanks for the info and I'll pass it along. So far, his date palms are doing well, and they are the local raccoons favorite meal unfortunately! The house is on stilts and they have one right in front of the kitchen window, its sometimes a surprise to being doing dishes and see a raccoon in that palm right in front of your face! LOL. And you are right about the 100 year freeze. Have you heard about all the dead fish? The vultures are every where. One small lake had 15,000 lbs. of dead fish in it. Some of the mangroves died on the coast, but not all of them, thank goodness.