Paulding.com

Atlanta Hawks center Jason Collier dies

Atlanta Hawks center Jason Collier dies

The Associated Press - ATLANTA

Atlanta Hawks center Jason Collier died suddenly early Saturday, possibly of cardiac arrest, the team said. He was 28.

The team canceled a scheduled open scrimmage Saturday, as general manager Billy Knight said players were devastated by the loss of a teammate.

"Everybody was here and we made the announcement to the team," Knight said. "The players took it hard, as you would expect. We'll try to deal with it and keep moving forward."

Knight said "Jason had no issues" in a preseason physical examination given to all players.

"We'll wait until the experts can tell us, but there's no comments about any speculating at all that I'm going to do," Knight said. "Right now we just think about Jason and his family, his wife and a daughter.

Complete story here: http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfu...ry.asp?ID=66362

Glad you posted this markdavd. I've been out all day and haven't had the chance.

Actually, my son and I had made it down to Woodward Academy around noon today to see the Hawks practice. Pulled in the parking lot and talked with a Hawks spokesperson and was given the news about Jason Collier. Of course the practice had been cancelled.

For those that don't know, Jason played college ball at Georgia Tech after transferring from Indiana. His dad, Jeff, also played at Tech in the mid 70's.

This was a fine young man and he leaves behind a wife and young child, also I heard that they were also expecting another child.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family.

Edited by sheddweller