Paulding.com

John Walters inspires Rhode Island Designers at graduation

This 'graduationaddress' inspires artists and designers

Just moments after he was miraculously dubbed “Dr.John Waters,” the wonderfully irreverent filmmakerand cultural critic gave one of the most inspiring andspot-on RISD Commencement addresses in recent memory.Waters accepted an honorary degree from RISD – his firstdegree of any sort from anywhere – “without irony,” as heput it. 

At the podium the maker of Pink Flamingos, Hairsprayand many other over-the-top films appeared to be totallyin his element as he told the crowd that he’s surelyqualified to be RISD’s Commencement speaker, especiallygiven a short list of non-accomplishments and misdemeanors– and his early aspiration “to be one of the filthiestpeople alive.”

“I’ve been called ‘The Prince of Puke’ by the press,”Waters smiled, “and most recently, a title I’m proud of:‘The People’s Pervert.’ I am honored to be here today withmy people.” 

In a bouncy speech (hear the full thing above)that kept the crowd of 3,500 graduates, families andguests laughing so hard that he had to pause from time totime to be heard, Waters pointed out that as unlikely asit might sound that RISD would offer him an honorarydegree, “I didn’t change; society did.” 

Mostly he focused his attention on RISD’s 667 graduates,urging them not to hoard their talents. “Remember, youmust participate in the creative world you want to becomepart of…. Keep up with what’s causing chaos in your ownfield…. Read, read, read. Spy, be nosy, eavesdrop!” 

Waters also reminded graduates that they shouldn’t hate allrich people, especially since someone needs to help fundtheir creative endeavors. “I’m rich,” he said, because “Ihave figured out how to never be around assholes at anytime in my personal and professional life. That’srich.” 

While targeted at RISD students inparticular, Waters’ words seemed to resonate with themajority of the crowd packed into the RI Convention Centerhall. “Go out into the world and TRUCK it up beautifully!”he urged.

Click for RECENTTOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENTTOPICS