Paulding.com

Increase in Door to Door Sales/Crime?

Over the past two weeks our neighborhood has seen a sudden increase in door-to-door salespeople, peddling everything from newspapers subscriptions to windows. Last night, there was an attempted break in by one of these "salespeople." Anyone else in Paulding noticed this kind of activity?

I had just gotten back into town last Thursday night, I had unpacked and had the house lite up from one end to the other. (with the lights on in the house, including the light in the garage)

It was 8:30pm and I had just settled down on the throne, when I heard a light knocking at the front door.

The poodle and the bulldog started their barking and I went to answer the door.

I had to be at the door in less than 60 seconds, but there was no one there.

I walked outside and saw no one around, I even yelled a couple of times.

I went back in and quickly slipped on my shoes, grabbed my mag light and went back out, I could see no one on the streets or anywhere. (we live on a corner lot)

I was confused because there wasn't enough time for someone to get out of sight under normal circumstances.

I went next door and asked if they had seen anything and they advised that a young guy had knocked on their door trying to sell magazines.

While I do not know that he was up to no good, I did find it strange that he knocked so lightly when almost every room in the house had a light on, including the garage, and why he didn't ring the doorbell, why he didn't wait for the door to get answered and where he disappeared to so quickly.

Also, going door to door selling magazines at 8:30pm seems a little late.

He better watch out at our house, the bulldog will let loose a poot of terrific force and stink, while the poodle will piddle on him. (why not? he piddles on everything else)

Stradial, this is very similar to what happened to us last week (Bromley Walk subdivision). I didn't hear a knock but my dog went nuts and my son said "Someone's at the door." I didn't open it, but looked out a window and saw the guy. I mouthed "NO" and he said "I'm selling magazines..." so I mouthed "NO" again and shook my head. 8:30 at night, in the dar, COLD as everything outside. I know it's not illegal, but I don't like someone coming to my door unexpectedly.