Paulding.com

Delta cuts more flights, 312 jobs in Memphis

It looks like there may be a nitch here. They cut routes and jobs but at the same time lobby against any other airports expanding traffic and service.

Delta Air Lines plans to cut its Memphis flight schedule again and 312 jobs to curb what it calls unprofitable flying in and out of the western Tennessee city.

The Atlanta-based carrier said 126 airport customer service and cargo employees will be affected, as well as 186 flight attendants.

It looks like there may be a nitch here. They cut routes and jobs but at the same time lobby against any other airports expanding traffic and service.

Delta Air Lines plans to cut its Memphis flight schedule again and 312 jobs to curb what it calls unprofitable flying in and out of the western Tennessee city.

The Atlanta-based carrier said 126 airport customer service and cargo employees will be affected, as well as 186 flight attendants.

Not surprised, I am a frequent flyer to Memphis. I started taking flights with Airtran on a regular basis under 150 round trip. The Memphis airport looked like ghost town.

They are pulling out and Northwest is taking over, it is a little more expensive and you can not get a non-stop flight. You can get one for Delta round trip for close to 400.

Fed ex is based there. They recently built a parking garage for fed-ex employees bigger than the airport.

Memphis was a growing city that because of it's central location became a huge distribution point.

Memphis is an example of taking companies and Economic development for granted.

Surrounding cities in Ark. and Miss. whre more than happy to offer companies sweet deals to come in.

They lost a huge Navel Air station in Millington where my dad lives. It was a devastating blow to the local economy. There had been plans to build an interstate that basically paralleled the Mississippi up to Missouri, the people fought it, most of the land was sold for residential development and it has become cost prohibitive after 20 years.

It is hard to go there and see all the empty leases. The city council has finally gotten it together on economic development, but it may be too little too late. Most of the residents drive to Memphis to work. They just completed a by pass that allows residents in the more northern counties to by-pass the town. My dad lives on SS and the property taxes go up every year to try and maintain the services.

Public housing has taken over most of the old base housing, not good.

Not surprised, I am a frequent flyer to Memphis. I started taking flights with Airtran on a regular basis under 150 round trip. The Memphis airport looked like ghost town.

They are pulling out and Northwest is taking over, it is a little more expensive and you can not get a non-stop flight. You can get one for Delta round trip for close to 400.

Northwest merged with Delta. Last time I flew into Memphis was back in 2001 when my Dad died. Good times in Millington. But sad to say many bases have closed. Locals complain about the bases but don't realize how much they bring to the economy.

30 flights dropped. 60 flights a day still.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2013/10/22/delta-cuts-126-jobs-36-flights-from-memphis/3167391/

Edited by DallasRED