Paulding.com

2014 Proposed County Budget out

Found the 2014 Proposed PC budget on the govt Website. Did a quick search, but didn't see where it got discussed here.

Of course, it's subject to change up to it's approval, but right now, the rates are about the same.

County Bond..2.05 to 2.22 (slight increase)

County M&O...8.29 to 8.22 (Slight decrease)

Fire Tax.....3.10 to 3.10 (stays the same)

Total.......13.44 to 13.54 (0.7% increase)

Since my value went down about the same percent, I guess it will be close to revenue equal for me this year. (Assuming this sticks)

That would be nice after the 17% hike last year.

Anybody get the Era paper can tell me what the advertised mill rate for the school system is? Wondering if it jumped any.

The general public doesn't understand what you posted. All they know to do is scream "NO, WE DONT NEED IT" and "MY TAXES ARE TO HIGH" without realizing that the County is a business and has to be operated like a business.

The general public doesn't understand what you posted. All they know to do is scream "NO, WE DONT NEED IT" and "MY TAXES ARE TO HIGH" without realizing that the County is a business and has to be operated like a business.

I understand what he posted, and I do understand it has to be run like a business. And I still say my taxes are too high. However, if the county government leaders had showed some restraint and honesty previously, I might be a little more inclined to listen to what they have to say. As in, oh you HAVE to vote for the SPLOST or your taxes will go up. Then the VERY NEXT DAY after the SPLOST passed, they raised taxes anyway because "oops, we found an error". Other examples too numerous to go into here as well. When they start acting like responsible leaders, I will start treating them like responsible leaders. Until such time, I will continue to say NO.

• Like 2

I understand what he posted, and I do understand it has to be run like a business. And I still say my taxes are too high. However, if the county government leaders had showed some restraint and honesty previously, I might be a little more inclined to listen to what they have to say. As in, oh you HAVE to vote for the SPLOST or your taxes will go up. Then the VERY NEXT DAY after the SPLOST passed, they raised taxes anyway because "oops, we found an error". Other examples too numerous to go into here as well. When they start acting like responsible leaders, I will start treating them like responsible leaders. Until such time, I will continue to say NO.

How involved are you in speaking, emailing your commissioner? Do you even know who your commissioner is in your district? :pardon:

How are your takes to high? What should your taxes be?

As far as the general budget, I feel there has been a reasonable amount of restraint of spending since the administration change just after the economy crash. Have I agreed with *every* decision they have made in the budget? No, but we all have our sacred cows we don't want touched or want increased funding for. I realize I'll never be totally happy.

The 1.1 mil increase in the Fire Tax was probably the biggest increase, but since my Mother in Law is up and walking around thanks to the Paulding County EMTs that came out, I feel it's insurance money that is well spent.

How involved are you in speaking, emailing your commissioner? Do you even know who your commissioner is in your district? :pardon:

How are your takes to high? What should your taxes be?

If you must know, I do indeed know who my commissioner is, and he and Mr. Austin have heard from me on several issues.

RE: my taxes - well, I'll explain it this way. My brother lives in Johnson City, TN. His house is worth three times what my house is worth. He lives in the city limits, so he pays two sets of taxes. He does not have ad valorem tax on cars (which we don't now either, but I still do till I sell my car), and he has no state income tax. His local sales tax is 9.75% (it could be 9.5%, but I think it's 9.75%); ours is 7%. He lives in a more modern/improved area than I do, and has more amenities than I do. His combined property taxes are about 2/3 what mine are. So YES, I think my property taxes are too high.

If you must know, I do indeed know who my commissioner is, and he and Mr. Austin have heard from me on several issues.

RE: my taxes - well, I'll explain it this way. My brother lives in Johnson City, TN. His house is worth three times what my house is worth. He lives in the city limits, so he pays two sets of taxes. He does not have ad valorem tax on cars (which we don't now either, but I still do till I sell my car), and he has no state income tax. His local sales tax is 9.75% (it could be 9.5%, but I think it's 9.75%); ours is 7%. He lives in a more modern/improved area than I do, and has more amenities than I do. His combined property taxes are about 2/3 what mine are. So YES, I think my property taxes are too high.

Whats the split between commercial/industrial tax base, and residential in Johnson City, TN ? Ours is approaching 15%-85%, and there lies the difference I am willing to bet. Cobb as I recall is like 60%-40%. Our only non-residential is for all practical purposes Fast Food and Big Box. We have so little other non-residential it is hardly worth breaking out.

Residential is the burden. Schools, parks, police, fire, etc. Non-residential really adds little burden to the governmental infrastructure. So for a well balanced community, the non-residential property tax and ad valorum tax on equipment and inventory MORE than pays its fair share of what the services costs, basically subsidizing the residential. For us it is convoluted, and the bottom line is ONLY residential cannot support the community governments without increased tax burden on the homeowners.

Whats the split between commercial/industrial tax base, and residential in Johnson City, TN ? Ours is approaching 15%-85%, and there lies the difference I am willing to bet. Cobb as I recall is like 60%-40%. Our only non-residential is for all practical purposes Fast Food and Big Box. We have so little other non-residential it is hardly worth breaking out.

Residential is the burden. Schools, parks, police, fire, etc. Non-residential really adds little burden to the governmental infrastructure. So for a well balanced community, the non-residential property tax and ad valorum tax on equipment and inventory MORE than pays its fair share of what the services costs, basically subsidizing the residential. For us it is convoluted, and the bottom line is ONLY residential cannot support the community governments without increased tax burden on the homeowners.

Exactly. Every community has similar services that come at a cost. If no business base exists to help pay the bill then more falls on the residents who are the end consumers. Stuff like this should be common sense.

I'm sure that's the issue - theirs is probably at least 60%-40%, if not more. :sigh:

I'm sure that's the issue - theirs is probably at least 60%-40%, if not more. :sigh:

Hence why Paulding has to now work that much harder to bring in industry, manufacturing and warehousing. The housing will catch up in the future, but we need to diversify the tax base to reduce the homeowner's burden.

If you must know, I do indeed know who my commissioner is, and he and Mr. Austin have heard from me on several issues. RE: my taxes - well, I'll explain it this way. My brother lives in Johnson City, TN. His house is worth three times what my house is worth. He lives in the city limits, so he pays two sets of taxes. He does not have ad valorem tax on cars (which we don't now either, but I still do till I sell my car), and he has no state income tax. His local sales tax is 9.75% (it could be 9.5%, but I think it's 9.75%); ours is 7%. He lives in a more modern/improved area than I do, and has more amenities than I do. His combined property taxes are about 2/3 what mine are. So YES, I think my property taxes are too high.

Mr. Austin is the Chairman Commissioner. You have a Post District commissioner.

Shaking my head at your Tennessee comparison on your taxes.... :blink:

Edited by Tahoe

Do you even know who your commissioner is in your district?

Mr. Austin is the Chairman Commissioner. You have a Post District commissioner.

Shaking my head at your Tennessee comparison on your taxes.... :blink:

Shaking my head that you as a county employee are allowed to sit on Paulding.com during work hours and insinuate that the general public is ignorant. mei lan says she knows who her commissioner is and who the chairman is. Re-read her post.

Shaking my head that you as a county employee are allowed to sit on Paulding.com during work hours and insinuate that the general public is ignorant. mei lan says she knows who her commissioner is and who the chairman is. Re-read her post.

Thank you for defending me. Yes, I do understand both situations. I was making a blanket statement about the environment at large in TN vs. the environment at large here - BOTH brought about by government leaders. I know why the taxes are high. I contact my commissioner (Mr. Barnett) and generally cc Mr. Austin (the Chairman of the Commission) when I have a concern.

I didn't know the part about being a county employee. <_<