Paulding.com

Has anyone ever had the problem of a Kitchen Aid Mixer bowl turning food blue? This is no joke. I know it sounds weird but it is true. The mixer is a few years old and has just started this.

Has anyone ever had the problem of a Kitchen Aid Mixer bowl turning food blue? This is no joke. I know it sounds weird but it is true. The mixer is a few years old and has just started this.

Can't say I've ever heard of that. Did you contact the company?

Sounds like the gear grease is leaking. I recently noticed black streaks in smoothies I had blended in my cheap blender when I poured the smoothie into a glass. It should be food-grade gear grease, so it shouldn't be a health risk (just a little gross.)

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/blog/appliance-repair-tips-for-kitchenaid-mixers/

KitchenAid Stand Mixer Grease

The gearbox on a KitchenAid mixer is filled with grease. Over time and use, the grease in the gearbox can leak or go bad for a number of reasons.

In the case of a leaking KitchenAid mixer, opening up the machine and replacing the old grease with new grease is usually the best way to fix the problem.

Replacing the mixer’s transmission gasket is sometimes necessary to fix the leak.

Sounds like the gear grease is leaking. I recently noticed black streaks in smoothies I had blended in my cheap blender when I poured the smoothie into a glass. It should be food-grade gear grease, so it shouldn't be a health risk (just a little gross.)

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/blog/appliance-repair-tips-for-kitchenaid-mixers/

That makes sense. To the OP, I bet if you contact the company, they will make it right. I've always heard they back this product in a big way.

New one on me, but I have had fantastic results with the KA customer service and warrantee over the years of owning lots of their machines.

I cannot think of any chemical reaction you could have stumbled on that would go blue, so I am thinking the grease leak.

But call the 800 number and I know they will help you.

The reason I asked about the blades is because I have two KA stand mixers, one the wire whisk is a stainless steel and the other one is a burnished metal. The latter will tarnish in the dishwasher and leave a funky dark residue in my hands, rags, food and whatever it touches. It started doing this after going through the dishwasher, so hand washing it is the only option. The metal finish is similar to those ice cream scoops that sort of melts the ice cream on contact for easier dipping. I've had three of those and they all did the same thing, so the one I have now I have to hand wash.