Paulding.com

Four WellStar Hospitals Make

I am posting this article because I don't think we take the time to appreciate Wellstar and what they mean to our county.

I am looking forward to them opening the new hospital here.

Along with the hundreds of jobs they will provide us and eventually thousands as more medical related industry springs up around them we will benefit from having the quality of medical care they provide all over Georgia.

I have read many articles about them trying to adjust and change to the new healthcare laws and still maintain the great level of care they have always provided our people.

We may find ourselves being needed to support them as they weather the rough waters of change over the next few years.

Link to story

MARIETTA, GA -- WellStar Cobb, Douglas, Kennestone and Paulding Hospitals in Austell, Douglasville, Marietta and Dallas, respectively, have been named to the Georgia Hospital Association's Partnership for Health and Accountability Quality Honor Roll. The WellStar practices are four of 51 hospitals in Georgia to be placed in the Presidential category, one of the highest on the list.

The honor roll is based on clinical data provided by the federal Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services, which administers the nation's Medicare and Medicaid programs. The data was collected from April 2009 to March 2010.

"This is a great accomplishment for the WellStar Health System," said Joseph Parker, president of GHA. "This recognition further underscores the commitment of the WellStar Health System staff to ensuring that every patient receives the best, most effective health care possible."

All acute care hospitals are required to submit care data to CMS. This data details how well a hospital's caregivers adhere to a list of eight Appropriate Care Measures, which are the clinical processes of care that are known to be the most effective methods of treatment for patients who have suffered heart attacks, heart failure or pneumonia. The ACM is a composite measure that determines whether or not a patient received the right care at the right time.

For instance, a recommended treatment to help prevent a heart attack is to take aspirin either before or upon arrival at the hospital, as well as at discharge. A suggested treatment for pneumonia is to administer an antibiotic within four hours of the patient's arrival. A hospital's adherence to these recommended clinical practices usually leads to better outcomes.

"It is our mission to ensure that each of our patients receives the right care at the right time, and this recognition validates this," said Marcia Delk, M.D., senior vice president of medical affairs and chief quality officer of WellStar Health System. "This honor is a tribute to the hard work and dedication of our staff who are constantly working to make excellent care even better."

I've been in the Wellstar system well over 15 years and I have nothing but compliments for them.

All of my records are easily accessible by each of my doctors and a couple of the hospitals that in the past that I've said I would never go to is PAULDING Hospital.

They've done a dramatic turn around in the last few years and the imaging center is great!

I delivered my daughter at Cobb last year and couldn't have asked for a better experience from triage to delivery to recovery everything was amazing! I did have a bad ER experience a week after delivery but that can be chalked up to hormones and a horrible nurse crossing paths!!!

I think it's funny how people drive all the way to the baby mill at Northside because f their status but I have have heard more bad than good!

I delivered my daughter at Cobb last year and couldn't have asked for a better experience from triage to delivery to recovery everything was amazing! I did have a bad ER experience a week after delivery but that can be chalked up to hormones and a horrible nurse crossing paths!!!

I think it's funny how people drive all the way to the baby mill at Northside because f their status but I have have heard more bad than good!

35, 32 and 16 years ago Northside was great and was one of the best hospitals around.

I've heard some not so good things about it as well.