Paulding.com

Southern Airways Flight 242

Flight Attendant, Sandy Purl to visit Paulding County

This April 4, 2012 marks the 35th anniversary of the worst air disaster in Georgia history. 72 people died that day including 9 local Paulding County residents when a Southern Airways DC-9, Flight 242 crashed in the Paulding County community of New Hope.  Miraculously there were 21 survivors including both flight attendants. In cooperation with New Hope Memorial Flight 242, Inc. the Paulding County Library System has scheduled the following events open to the public in all 4 of our county libraries:

March 19, 2012 through March 30, 2012

Maude Ragsdale Library

1815 Hiram-Douglasville Highway

Hiram, GA 30141

April 2, 2012 through April 13, 2012

Crossroads Library

909 Harmony Grove Church Road

Acworth, GA 30101

A public showing of the National Geographic documentary of Flight 242 crash, Southern Storm :

February24th at 10:00 AM 

Paulding County Library

April 5th at 2:00PM

Crossroads Library

One of the surviving Flight Attendants and author of the book Am I Alive?, Sandy Purl is scheduled to be at each of the 4 Paulding County libraries on the following dates and times:

Thursday, March 29, 2012:    

Paulding County Library at 10:00AM 

New Georgia Library at 2:00PM

Friday, March 30, 2012:          

Maude Ragsdale Library at 10:00AM

Crossroads Library at 2:00PM

Sandy Pearl

Sandy will be donating one of her books to each of the 4 libraries and plans to speak about her experiences the day of the crash as well as her experiences since the crash.  She will also be available to talk with anyone who would like to talk with her one on one.

The events scheduled at the libraries are in coordination with the 35th Anniversary Memorial Service hosted by the New Hope Memorial Flight 242, Inc. to be held at the edge of the New Hope Cemetery directly across from the New Hope First Baptist Church on Saturday, March 31st at 2:00PM.

All events are open to the public. If you are new to Paulding County this is a great opportunity to learn about a significant piece of Paulding County and Georgia history. If you were a resident of Paulding County or any of the neighboring counties on April 7, 1977 you will have many memories of that day and the days that followed. You most likely were involved in some way with the recovery and rescue and will have information you may want to share. The Pauling County Library System and New Hope Memorial Flight 242, Inc. invite the public to come and tour the libraries between February 20th and April 13th to learn more about Flight 242. The public is also invited to attend the Memorial Service on March 31st.

Flight Attendant, Sandy Purl to visit Paulding County

This April 4, 2012 marks the 35th anniversary of the worst air disaster in Georgia history. 72 people died that day including 9 local Paulding County residents when a Southern Airways DC-9, Flight 242 crashed in the Paulding County community of New Hope.  Miraculously there were 21 survivors including both flight attendants. In cooperation with New Hope Memorial Flight 242, Inc. the Paulding County Library System has scheduled the following events open to the public in all 4 of our county libraries:

March 19, 2012 through March 30, 2012

Maude Ragsdale Library

1815 Hiram-Douglasville Highway

Hiram, GA 30141

April 2, 2012 through April 13, 2012

Crossroads Library

909 Harmony Grove Church Road

Acworth, GA 30101

A public showing of the National Geographic documentary of Flight 242 crash, Southern Storm :

February24th at 10:00 AM 

Paulding County Library

April 5th at 2:00PM

Crossroads Library

One of the surviving Flight Attendants and author of the book Am I Alive?, Sandy Purl is scheduled to be at each of the 4 Paulding County libraries on the following dates and times:

Thursday, March 29, 2012:    

Paulding County Library at 10:00AM 

New Georgia Library at 2:00PM

Friday, March 30, 2012:          

Maude Ragsdale Library at 10:00AM

Crossroads Library at 2:00PM

Sandy Pearl

Sandy will be donating one of her books to each of the 4 libraries and plans to speak about her experiences the day of the crash as well as her experiences since the crash.  She will also be available to talk with anyone who would like to talk with her one on one.

The events scheduled at the libraries are in coordination with the 35th Anniversary Memorial Service hosted by the New Hope Memorial Flight 242, Inc. to be held at the edge of the New Hope Cemetery directly across from the New Hope First Baptist Church on Saturday, March 31st at 2:00PM.

All events are open to the public. If you are new to Paulding County this is a great opportunity to learn about a significant piece of Paulding County and Georgia history. If you were a resident of Paulding County or any of the neighboring counties on April 7, 1977 you will have many memories of that day and the days that followed. You most likely were involved in some way with the recovery and rescue and will have information you may want to share. The Pauling County Library System and New Hope Memorial Flight 242, Inc. invite the public to come and tour the libraries between February 20th and April 13th to learn more about Flight 242. The public is also invited to attend the Memorial Service on March 31st.

Yes, the PAULDING LIBRARIES are doing a wonderful job in hosting and promoting this event. I had the pleasure of meeting Sandy PURL when she was here for the 20th anniversary event - she was very impressive!

Edited by Beach Bum

LPPT

Where is the marker Sandy is standing next to in the photo?

I will let you know since I am hoping to follow up on this.

I read the book years ago and was very impressed with Ms. Pearl so I am looking forward to seeing here in person.I also want to draw attention to the wonderful people in our community that continue to memorialize the event and all those effected.I think this says so much about this community and the people that live here.

I will be happy to meet Mr. Frederick Clemens, a Survivor of the crash, who is in town in honor of the anniversary. He wrote a story in the Miracles of Paulding Books One and Book Two for Helping Hands. He is bringing his three-year-old, a testament of hope that life goes on beautifully in spite of tragedy. I hope the weather holds up for today's Memorial Service at 2:00 p.m.

I will be happy to meet Mr. Frederick Clemens, a Survivor of the crash, who is in town in honor of the anniversary. He wrote a story in the Miracles of Paulding Books One and Book Two for Helping Hands. He is bringing his three-year-old, a testament of hope that life goes on beautifully in spite of tragedy. I hope the weather holds up for today's Memorial Service at 2:00 p.m.

Thanks for the bump this morning, I forgot to do it!!

I wanted to take the time to share with everyone while this is still fresh in my mind.

I have been covering the services for the memorial this year to help document many of the stories and will continue to talk to people that wish to document their experiences from the Newhope crash.

I know that we have many transplants here in Paulding, I myself am a transplant.

When we decided 20 years ago to start our lives here, we knew we would be here for the rest of our lives. We would raise our children here, retire here and be buried here.

In our minds the history of Paulding became our history along with all the wonderful people here that made us want to stay, more so than cheap houses or low taxes we felt at home.

In documenting the stories of the residents I am seeing what I have seen from the first weeks we moved here. A way of life were people take care of each other whenever needed. People that don't think twice about rolling up their sleeves to help or do do whatever is needed.

I see this so many times over and over, some are not aware that Relay 4 Life in this county has been one of the most successful in the nation, because of the giving nature and hard work of the people here.

I could give 100's of examples of a community that gives and cares because it is a way of life here. You can search the archives of this site and find were groups of people have come together and made great things happen for others. In fact a month hardly goes that you don't see or hear of a fund raiser for someone in need.

Some of you are aware of Helping Hands, we were one of the first communities to found an organization to specifically help our own falling through the cracks, not a hand out but a hand up.

The same with the backpack program here.

If you don't recognize what a great community you live in, you need to.

I am going to share some of my documentary with you in the next few weeks, not all because eventually it will be made into an archive and placed on DVD's For the Newhope memorial.

I shed some tears this week listening to the stories of survivors and those in the community that helped the victims.

If you have not thought to attend any of the services over the years I would encourage you to do so, not only is it moving, but the people you will meet are as warm and wonderful as any you would care to know.

It was touching to watch the hugs and tears of people that are connected to this day through the event.

There are also smiles now because of the friendships.

So well said, Laurie!

B

It was wonderful to see you yesterday!!!

Would you share with the folks the book you were showing me and explain where they can get it and how it benefits the community.

I can't wait to get mine and read it.

Hi Laurie,

It was great to see you, too. I enjoyed the time I spent with you. I'm so interested in the video production you are putting together and it is good of you to do it. After attending the memorial, I feel it is so important to push for this permanent memorial and I hope to help with the fund raising. Maybe I could work with you to also turn the video into a book for sale to help your cause.

Here are the details on the Miracles of Paulding book for Helping Hands of Paulding. Thanks so much for letting us post it.

It has one story written by Mr. Frederick Clemens, one of the Survivors of the Southern Flight 242 . He was gracious enough to sign a few of the Miracle Books in his busy schedule.

This was written and sent to certain people:

The Second Edition of Miracles of Paulding is now available for purchase. The books can be purchased at 228 West Spring Street in Dallas, Georgia.

This book will benefit Helping Hands of Paulding, Inc., a mission whose goal is to make a positive impact on lives of thousands, by providing food, clothing vouchers, financial and other assistance to help stabilize families and to prevent homelessness. 100% of the sale will go to Helping Hands of Paulding.

Miracles of Paulding, Book Two is Personal accounts of miracles and divine intervention in the lives of people who have been blessed in Paulding County. The cost of the book is $20.00.

Andrea Watson, Executive Director of Helping Hands, and Sheila can help you between the hours of operation of 9:00 am – 4:00 pm and will be glad to meet with anyone wanting to purchase a copy at:

Helping Hands of Paulding County, Inc.

Mail: P. O. Box 1130

Physical: 228 West Spring Street – Dallas, GA 30132

Telephone: 770-443-1230 Fax: 770-443-1277

Email: helpinghandsofpc@bellsouth.net

Table of Contents:

Foreword

Those blessed: Story Title:

Austin, Jane Abney The Power of Prayer

Baker, Martin The Miracle Man of Wayside Baptist Church

Bagby, Judy Judy Bagby’s Miracles

Clemens, Frederick L. Unexpected Comfort Amid the Destruction: My Experience of God Aboard Southern 242

Baldwin, Jerry Elrod Jerry Elrod Baldwin’s Near Death Experience

Bookout, Bob and Kathy Historic Downtown Hiram’s Miracle Couple, The Bookouts

Braly, Uhland For the Heart of Uhland

Carroll, Mary The Faith of Mary Carroll

Cochran, Beverly The Accident

Cochran, Bill A Miracle of Healing—Coma, Tumor

Cole, Genevieve Genevieve Cole’s Miracles of Nurturing Support and Prayers

Cooper, David David Cooper’s Extended Time

Foster, III, (Judge) Bill Judge Bill Foster’s Story

Fudger, Joanne W. We Received a Miracle

Fudger, Joanne W. Coming to Paulding

Faro, Judy A Miracle of Healing—Shoulder and Elbow Pain

Fussell, Mrs. Brad (Pamela) Miracles of Provisions

Graham, Malinda Tibbetts Stories from Malinda Tibbetts Graham

Gunter, Jane The Miracles of Averted Tragedy

Hale, Ryan September 11th Miracle

Hanson, Pat Miracle of Caleb Young, “The Fish Boy”

Henderson, John Henderson Miracles

Kerrigan, Jack and Pat The Kerrigan’s Miracle Macho Man

Lawrence, Derek and Pam The Lawrence Family Miracle

Lindsey, Tina Miracle of The Warning Voice

Loudermilk, Dale Jones In Search of Their Father/Family Ties

McDonald, Randy A Higher Ground

McEntyre, Diana Diana’s Miracles

Martin, Mike and Sue Divine Career Guidance

Morrison, Melissa Simon’s Divine Intervention

Norris, Catherine Miracle of the Insurance Policy

Osborne, Jeanette Jeanette’s Miracles

Owens, Leeatta My Miracle

Paris, Brenda The Miracle of Brenda’s Mother

Parker, Edith The Miracle of Extended Time

Pell, Darrell Miracle of The Spiritual Heart Transplant

Penrod, Robbie Miracle of Protection

Podunavac, Wendy The Miracle of Kyle

Prewett, Dawn Our Miracle From God

Ragsdale, Mildred Mildred Ragsdale Visit With Jesus

Richardson, Bill The Miracle of the New Pancreas

Roach, Jean Jean’s Many Miracles

Rodgers, Angie & Tony Miracle of the Adoption of Brothers

Rollins, Linda A Multitude of Miracles

Shelton, Treva Treva Shelton’s Story

Shurling, Judy A Miracle of Redirection

Sparti, Betty Changed Plans

Spinks, Marianne Cooper Thy Will Be Done

Taylor, Irona Miracles of Road Assistance

Thompson, Margaret Miss Margaret’s Miracle of Healing

Tibbetts, Virginia & Gene Miracles of the Tibbett’s Healing and Angels

Watson, Bill Bill Watson’s Divine Shift

Watts, Jim, Marjorie & Jill The Miraculous Love of Jim and Marjorie Watts

Welch, Franklin Miracle of the Two Roadside Assistants

White, Shirley (by Renee) The Miracle of Shirley White’s Life

Wills, Loran Eilea Mae Gann Will’s Miracles

Wills, Loran God’s Providence at Work in my Life

Zirkel, Pat Miracle of Matthew’s Return

Again, Laurie, thanks for letting me post about the Helping Hands book for sale, but to bring the attention back to this permanent marker that is needed at New Hope, I feel so strongly about it now that I've seen the survivors and heard the stories of the Paulding County people who were involved. It was so moving. Someone there said it was Paulding County's 9-11. I think that may be true that everyone that was here could say where they were when they heard about this terrible tragedy. I know it affected both my brother-in-laws who were a part of the rescue and recovery for years. I can't give enough praise to the committee members of Flight 242 Memorial, Inc. for a really beautiful memorial service.

Betty

Again, Laurie, thanks for letting me post about the Helping Hands book for sale, but to bring the attention back to this permanent marker that is needed at New Hope, I feel so strongly about it now that I've seen the survivors and heard the stories of the Paulding County people who were involved. It was so moving. Someone there said it was Paulding County's 9-11. I think that may be true that everyone that was here could say where they were when they heard about this terrible tragedy. I know it affected both my brother-in-laws who were a part of the rescue and recovery for years. I can't give enough praise to the committee members of Flight 242 Memorial, Inc. for a really beautiful memorial service.

Betty

I can't wait to get the book, after reading the list I realized I know so many of these people. Good people that care so much for others.

The stories from the video are still on the card, honestly I needed to breath before watching them again because they made me cry, such powerful stories about human experiences, I was struck by the common theme of wanting to do more, when they did everything humanly possible. We have the artifacts, even with your book the times people lived in, the pictures of the tangibles we recognize. The hearts and minds of people are unique and wonderful. I am so happy to be working with you and others that recognize these things to be the true value of life. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: