Paulding.com

Need help doing a news story ... Looking for someone with microscope w/camera attachment

I'm working on a news story about contaminated food bought here recently.

For the record, there has already been a recall and the story I'm working on is about the recall.

One thing that is bugging me and the person who discovered the contamination is that the authorities, which tested another item/items in the batch, reported the issue as mold ... and since when did mold grow to look like a rat's intestine.

What is needed is a budding biologist with a microscope and camera attachment. This could even be a class at one of the high schools.

My limited understanding of biology is that we will be able to arrange for a sample of the contaminate (we will document that part) and then a review of the cellular structure of the contaminate. As I understand it, a "D" student in biology should be able to tell the difference between an animal cell (properly stained) and a plant/mold cell.

This means that anyone with one of those microscopes you could get a wally world or da club - they were selling them at Christmas time the last couple of years - or a high school biology class may want to get this 'real world experience.'

Mainly, we just want to make sure of the nature of the contamination before we come back and talk to the folks who issued the formal recall.

If you want to volunteer, PM me. BE a star!

pubby