Paulding.com

Virgie Ellen Gorham Ballentine, age 82, of Hiram, GA, passed away Wednesday, March 24, 2010, from complications of Alzheimers. She was born January 10, 1928, in Hiram, GA and was preceded in death by her parents, Homer V. & Carrie Teal Gorham; brothers, J. B. Gorham and Alfred Gorham; sisters, U. V. Harris and Polly Chapman. Virgie attended Hiram Elementary and High School for 11 years. Following her graduation from Berry College in the late 1940s, and with additional graduate studies in West Georgia College and Emory University, she began her teaching career as a teacher of English and Librarian at Hiram High School. When Hiram High School moved to the Paulding County High School, she remained as the librarian at Hiram Elementary School. When she retired, after 41 years of service to hundreds of students in the Hiram area, the Paulding County Board of Education honored her by naming the main drive leading to the new Hiram High School, VIRGIE BALLENTINE DRIVE.

Survivors include her husband of almost 55 years, Robert D. Ballentine, Sr.; son & daughter-in-law, Bobby & Julie Ballentine of Hiram, GA; grandchildren, David Ballentine, Stephen Ballentine and Trey Ballentine & wife, Jessica; step-grandchildren, Stephanie Camp & husband, Jason, and Kelley Skinner; great-grandchildren, Logan Ballentine and Daniel Camp; nieces and nephews.

Graveside services will be Friday, March 26, 2010, at 11:00 AM, from Paulding Memorial Gardens with Father Adrian Pleus officiating.

Sam Clark, Larry Ragsdale, Wendell Rakestraw, Benny Strickland, Glenn Ragsdale, and Ty Rakestraw will serve as pallbearers.

The family will receive friends at the funeral home Thursday from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM.

Clark Funeral Home, Hiram, GA, is in charge of arrangements.

She gave me a paddling one time for "shocking" other kids by rubbing my shoes on the carpet. When I was in elementary school I loved to read and she was a great encouragement to me. Sorry to hear of her passing.

The passing of the people who were my mentors and teachers of my childhood is a grim reminder that I am getting old myself.

She was the best librarian I ever had!!!! But heaven forbid you turn a book in late under her watch :D

Prayers for comfort for her family

R.I.P. Mrs. Ballentine. ♥

I agree! I will never forget the stern looks she would give me for talking!

Prayers said for her family