Paulding.com

New Zero Tolerance Bill Passes Senate

I do believe this needed to change and I believe the House will approve it too. I know we discussed this recently and I thought some of you might be interested.

http://blogs.ajc.com...te-unanimously/

Senate Bill 299 grew out of Jones' experience trying to get 14-year-old Eli Mohone out of a juvenile detention center in Morgan County last year.

When Eli discovered that he had inadvertently brought a fishing knife to his Morgan County middle school in October, he took the weapon to the office. For his responsible actions, he was dragged off in handcuffs, convicted of a felony, expelled and required to attend an alternative school for the remainder of the semester.

Quote from above article:

From what I’ve read, many of the absurdities that are blamed on Zero Tolerance seem to come from officers who don’t understand that one has to have intent to commit a crime. It’s not a crime to negligently bring a knife to school, and trying to turn it in to school officials shows that the person didn’t have intent.

I agree NewsJunky, Zero tolerance needs to change and that change is long over due.

This is something I read earlier today and couldn't agree more:

“This is about putting the decisions back in the hands of the educators,” said Sen. Emanuel Jones’ (D-Decatur) “Teachers and principles should have the flexibility to levy a punishment that appropriately fits the student. The one-size fits all approach to discipline that has pervaded our schools serves only to ensnare kids into a pipeline to prison.”

(source: http://gaeducation.blogspot.com/)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Quote from above article:

From what I've read, many of the absurdities that are blamed on Zero Tolerance seem to come from officers who don't understand that one has to have intent to commit a crime. It's not a crime to negligently bring a knife to school, and trying to turn it in to school officials shows that the person didn't have intent.

I agree NewsJunky, Zero tolerance needs to change and that change is long over due.

This is something I read earlier today and couldn't agree more:

"This is about putting the decisions back in the hands of the educators," said Sen. Emanuel Jones' (D-Decatur) "Teachers and principles should have the flexibility to levy a punishment that appropriately fits the student. The one-size fits all approach to discipline that has pervaded our schools serves only to ensnare kids into a pipeline to prison."

(source: http://gaeducation.blogspot.com/)

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

I very much agree with that statement.

I have said it hundreds of times on here....and I guess I will one more time-

"Zero tolerance laws supersede the courts and our system of justice". With such laws, there is no need for judges or juries. Zero Tolerance is a policy designed BY fools who have given up on how to impose an appropriate judgment call, and dispense justice accordingly. Countless THOUSANDS of lives (mostly younger folks) have been irrevocably RUINED because of this lazy foolishness.

Further....ANYONE who cannot understand that should not be allowed to vote, sit on a jury, etc. until they have taken and passed an exam of our Constitution and most importantly, our BILL OF RIGHTS!!!

If you are for zero tolerance policies "to the letter", then you may as well BURN said documents and be done with them. Zero tolerance is just another way for our judicial system to get paid for doing absolutely NOTHING. It's spawned from laziness.

Sure, we ALL get tired of repeat offenders, but with each offense there should ALWAYS be another judging, whether we are tired of it or not. That's what makes us Americans.

(Stepping off soapbox now.) ;)

"Zero tolerance laws supersede the courts and our system of justice". With such laws, there is no need for judges or juries. Zero Tolerance is a policy designed BY fools who have given up on how to impose an appropriate judgment call, and dispense justice accordingly. Countless THOUSANDS of lives (mostly younger folks) have been irrevocably RUINED because of this lazy foolishness.

Further....ANYONE who cannot understand that should not be allowed to vote, sit on a jury, etc. until they have taken and passed an exam of our Constitution and most importantly, our BILL OF RIGHTS!!!

If you are for zero tolerance policies "to the letter", then you may as well BURN said documents and be done with them. Zero tolerance is just another way for our judicial system to get paid for doing absolutely NOTHING. It's spawned from laziness.

Sure, we ALL get tired of repeat offenders, but with each offense there should ALWAYS be another judging, whether we are tired of it or not. That's what makes us Americans.

(Stepping off soapbox now.) wink.gif

Good job from up there on that Soapbox Subby!!!good.gif

Good job from up there on that Soapbox Subby!!!good.gif

Thank you, and I apologize to anyone I may have offended. To me, it's just common sense. A Thomas Paine kinda thang! ;)

(Stepping off soapbox now.) ;)

Great reply Subby, I am glad that the schools in Paulding county are not as stringent about this as other school systems are across our nation. I happen to know of a high schooler that did this exact thing. The knife was turned over to a teacher as soon as it was discovered and the punishment fit the crime 3 day suspension. Because of honosty and never being in trouble and being backed by all teachers that this student had at the time, it was determined that there was no intent to harm anyone. The administrators and BOE did the right thing. But it goes along way that the student had never been in trouble in school.