Paulding.com

Details from article in the 10/8 Paulding Neighbor.

K-9 Office Chico retired 9/23. Chico, a 9yo Belgian Malinois, served the citizens of Paulding county for 7 years as a dual purpose officer. His handler, Dep. Billy Hurst (SO 146), tracked and apprehended over 30 fleeing felons and seized hundreds of pounds of illegal drugs and US currency. Ailments due to age and the stress caused by being a working dog attributed to his retirement, although Sheriff Gulledge noted that Chico served the county well for 7 years.

The county purchased K-9 officer Major who has been training with Dep. Hurst over the summer. K-9 Major is a 1 1/2 year old Belgian Malinois purchased in May, 2009.

K-9 Chico, thank you for your service. I know it will be hard for you to see the patrol car drive off for duty.

I also found this article on the AJC: http://www.ajc.com/news/paulding-police-dog-gone-152308.html

I can't answer for Chico. When K-9 Bosco retired, then Capt. Gullege went before the the BoC and asked that they "keep him on the payroll" so the county would cover vet bills, etc. He died a few weeks later.

The only other K-9 that I know of that has retired is K-9 Rudy, who as far as I know, still lives with his handler, SGT Ritch, and his replacement K-9 Grizz.

I would guess that Chico is at home with Dep. Hurst enjoying his retirement.

I think Bosco was probably a special case. He was ill from cancer. The dog's expenses like food may be taken care of in their retirement. They are probably viewed as "resources" or "assets" that have served their useful purpose and are deposed of. I am sure the officer that has served with the dog for many years would have a hard time "sending him to the glue factory" or whatever is expected to happen to the asset that has been used up.

I don't know the facts....