Paulding.com

CLARK FUNERAL HOME

NEWSPAPER OBIT

4373 ATLANTA HWY.

HIRAM, GA 30141

770-445-7133

FAX 770-505-7273

Rogers

James Vernoy Rogers, born August 3, 1921 in the Nebo Community of Paulding County passed away on Sunday, September 6, 2009. He was preceded in death by his parents, James Berry & Mozelle Adair Rogers, maternal grandparents, JW (Judge) & Linda Adair Adair; paternal grandparents, Levi & Marion Daniell Rogers; daughter, Lisa Anne Rogers & son, Jimmy Berry Rogers; brother, Leander Rogers; sister, Evelyn Rogers Morgan; brother-in-law, Myrl Cochran.

He lived with his parents until he was 21 years old and worked as a farmer. He went into the Army Air Force at age 21 in September 1942 where he was an Engineer Gunner on a B-24 Heavy Bomber, flying out of the 15th Air Force in Italy flying 50 bombing missions including missions of Ploesti Oil Field, Yugoslavia, Germany, Italy and other occupied German territory and was credited with shooting down several German fighter planes. After returning from overseas in September 1944 he was an Air Force instructor. While in the service, he met and married his wife, Beverly Babb Rogers, January 17, 1945 and remained married for 64 beautiful years. They had born unto them 4 children: Vernoy Wayne Rogers, Jimmy Berry Rogers, Lisa Anne Rogers and Michael David Rogers.

By profession, he was an accountant having studied and attended American Tech in Chicago and GA State University for 12 years during the 50’s and early 60’s. He was the chief accountant for Chevrolet Division of General Motors in Atlanta. After he resigned from there he was elected State Representative for Paulding County and served in the General Assembly of Georgia in the early 60’s. After that he was the general manager of Marietta Provision Company in Marietta, GA. In 1980 he started the publication The Historical News, known as Southern Historical News, Inc. which has been published in 10 southern states.

He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Beverly Babb Rogers of Dallas, GA; his sons, Vernoy Wayne Rogers and Michael David Rogers, both of Hiram, GA; a sister, Jeanette Rogers Cochran of Dallas; special nephew, Keith Cochran of Dallas; his sister-in-law, Shirley Dale Mistovich of Milton, FL; cousins.

Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:00 p.m. from Clark Funeral Home in Hiram, GA with Rev. Wiley Butler, Dr. Gregg Potts, Mr. James Lollis and Mr. Keith Cochran officiating. The interment will follow in Paulding Memorial Gardens. The family will receive friends on Tuesday from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the funeral home. Clark Funeral Home in Hiram, GA, is in charge of arrangements. www.samclarkfuneralhome.com

I have had the honor of working for Jim for about a year and a half now and will miss him dearly.

Jim is a great man who I have come to love.

I remember him jingling his change in his pocket and looking at me and asking, "What are you doing?" My reply would always be, "Working", he would then smile and say, "Right answer."

While I only knew him a short time there are many girls who work with us that knew him for many years and look to him as a father figure.

My thoughts and prayers are with them as well as the family.

Jim will be GREATLY missed.

Love,

Susan

I worked for Jim several years ago too. He was a great man. He would always send me to the store to purchase things I'd never heard of. I was only 18. I remember being so nervous that I would purchase the wrong thing. He wouldn't let me drive my own vehichle so I had to cruise around in his huge lincoln towncars. I'm sure I looked so funny. I will miss him and I know the ladies that still work for him will too. He was so much more than a boss. When you worked for him, you were family.