Paulding.com

Doing something different for News today

THE FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS

** Stars and Strikes invited us to live play the Folkstyle Championship Wrestling show they put on Friday night. We couldn't resist, called Ron Crist to borrow his big 4x4 truck for a production platform and waited while folks gathers and got into the mayhem. It starts a little slow ... we didn't do any editing ... but hey, this is about you who were there and kids getting in the ring. Enjoy.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

If you want to see what you missed at Stars and Strikes last night, we offer a video.

A couple of key points.

First, the video lasts over three hours.

For that reason, it is not the best because ... well if you record in a higher bit rate media ... you lose your hard drive when you start talking in hours of video.

Well, that is the main reason although I do need to get a little different mobile unit.

pubby

We put the full video on for the benefit of the folks at Folkstyle Championship wrestling. I have an idea several of the guys want to see their performances.

This was an experiment and one of the big issues was getting Internet access. We got it but only after we had given up :) Seriously.

Beyond that we did some things pretty good and some things poor to middling. For instance, the only software I could get work to do the recording while I stream is responsible for the less than crisp video. If you happen to watch longer, you'll see that light, too is an issue but we knew that.

One of the really bright spots, though was the calling of the matches by Jeremey Pennock. Absolutely outstanding performance on his part. Asked how he did it, he said he watched a lot of wrestling as he grew up. Combine that with his showmanship and I was impressed. As I write this I'm listening to his announcing and it works without pictures.

Of course bright was not how one would describe the lights... Basically the ring was lit like a parking lot ... which is to say it was not pitch black ... but it was not optimized for imaging. In such conditions shots blur, images are grainy and colors flat or washed out. It didn't do the show or the talent justice. Still, it was not all bad.

Pubby

One problem solved.

I actually have a piece of software that I prefer for webcasting. It is one that I use for the News and programs in the studio.

I had it installed on my 'main' laptop and I've had it work and then sometimes it doesn't - there is some conflict. Anyway, I spent about two hours yesterday trying to get it work on the laptop I planned to use for the netcast. I never could get it to do so with the end result being that the video quality of that captured on my hard drive - which is relatively low resolution with ham-fist-ed on the fly ubber compression. Its bad and it is small but the 'standby' software I used to accomplish the recording didn't offer any capture options.

I had hoped that the original cast would have been captured but somehow that didn't happen so I was left with this back up copy largely because my preferred software would not run on THIS laptop.

I went in the office for a minute today and loaded it on another laptop - not quite as fast - but adequate and it booted right through. I will have to do some more testing but it gives me the ability to save multiple streams in a variety of formats in real time as well as easily providing some other nice features.

Even with the light problems from last night, this would make a big, big difference in the quality of the production.

pubby