Paulding.com

Last Friday morning (11/23/07) around 4:55AM SO 116 was dispatched to Dabbs Bridge Road at the County line. There were two poinies - looked more like miniature horses to me - that were roaming near the road.

The officer met with the caller (I believe a second person by this time that was holding the horses) and then left the scene to attempt to find the owner of these animals. The man and a woman stayed with the horses.

I drove by around 5:30 and saw the truck off of the side of the road. I didn't see the horses, and it appeared to me that the driver was "doing some business" in the bushes off the side of the road. I had to travel back past the location about 10-15 minutes later and the truck was still there. I stopped to see if the driver needed help and learned that they were staying with the horses while the officer was locating the owner.

Learning that they didn't need any assistance, I went on my way. Around 6:30 when I came back by that area, the truck and horses were gone. I trust that the horses made it back home.

So, why did I post this? I am always curious to learn of the different tasks that our officers must face every day. They need to be ready to deal with life and death as a moments’ notice as well as track down a horse's owner at 5:00AM.

Secondly, I am impressed by this man and woman's action to see that these horses made it home. These were good sized animals - several hundred pounds. They could have been hurt or even caused a serious accident on the Dabbs Bridge Freeway. (Frequent drivers of the road know what I mean.)

These Good Samaritans were probably on their way to get a good thanksgiving deal at a local store, but took the time to do the right thing.

I hope that you will listen to the "little voice" the next time you see the opportunity to give assistance to a stranger or even a horse on the road.